JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes you won't find an RCW saying "Glock is a pistol" but Glock was designed as a handgun to be fired from one hand (even though who in their right mind fires a handgun with one hand unless their other hand is compromised or unless they're a gangster shooting sideways out of a car window haha.
The shockwave with a brace is a shining example of a gun that was designed to be fired with one
hand. Thats the whole point of the brace , to allow for one handed fire.

I shoot all the time with one hand. Been doing it for 50 years since I was 5 years old.

A Washington state senator petitioned the state Attorney General for confirmation of the status of the Mossberg Shockwave 4 years ago

to date, the Attorney General has NOT responded

we know what it is by Federal law, but Washington State has not addressed the actual status if this is a legal pistol

Correct it is not a pistol and it is not a shotgun. It is a "firearm" and how Washington states their laws you cannot carry this type of weapon loaded in your vehicle. I think people get confused with the brace thing. The brace doesn't make it a pistol it makes it a "firearm"
Federal law calls it a Firearm, state law calls it a Pistol. I'm not aware of federal preemption for definitions of types of guns. Still not going to carry one loaded, but the state definition is pretty straightforward.

A Washington state senator petitioned the state Attorney General for confirmation of the status of the Mossberg Shockwave 4 years ago

to date, the Attorney General has NOT responded

we know what it is by Federal law, but Washington State has not addressed the actual status if this is a legal pistol
Theres a reason for that. They have no justification in current law to call it anything but a pistol. Their definitions suck. They want to change the law go for it but until then its just the typical poorly worded Washington gun law. Remember when you could own silencers but not use them. Remember when you could own SBR's but not build them. Want to buy a gun parts it? Better make sure it doesnt have any full automatic parts because those are kind of illegal in WA.

Federal law calls it a Firearm, state law calls it a Pistol. I'm not aware of federal preemption for definitions of types of guns. Still not going to carry one loaded, but the state definition is pretty straightforward.
I'm confused as to where state law calls it a pistol. Did I miss something? Plz link that section of the rcw.

The shockwave with a brace is a shining example of a gun that was designed to be fired with one
hand. Thats the whole point of the brace , to allow for one handed fire.

I shoot all the time with one hand. Been doing it for 50 years since I was 5 years old.
Right I train one handed as well. But according to the atf adding a brace doesn't change design. Remember?

RCW 9.41.010

(23) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand
Ahhhh so it's an and/or type thing. So since it has less than 16", even though it's not designed to be held and fired by single use of hand it qualifies as a pistol according to Washington. And a 10/22 is an assault weapon. Got it. Jesus were screwed up lol!!!!

Ahhhh so it's an and/or type thing. So since it has less than 16", even though it's not designed to be held and fired by single use of hand it qualifies as a pistol according to Washington. And a 10/22 is an assault weapon. Got it. Jesus were screwed up lol!!!!
Your'e starting to get it.

I guess i get the loophole you are commenting on but at the same time I wouldn't carry my shockwave in my rig loaded lol
I wouldnt call that a loophole. It was a law that was carefully worded by seasoned professional lawmakers. They wanted the shockwave to be considered a pistol after all the pertinent facts were deliberated.

I wouldnt call that a loophole. It was a law that was carefully worded by seasoned professional lawmakers. They wanted the shockwave to be considered a pistol after all the pertinent facts were deliberated.
I doubt that our lawmakers would want that to be considered a pistol. They don't want us to be able to carry loaded weapons as it is. I would be shocked if they "wanted the shockwave to be considered a pistol"

I think it's just a missed opportunity on their side.

I doubt that our lawmakers would want that to be considered a pistol. They don't want us to be able to carry loaded weapons as it is. I would be shocked if they "wanted the shockwave to be considered a pistol"

The current ones, mostly yes. I have no idea how old that particular piece of RCW is and apparently lack the motivation to look it up just now.

Well obviously that was their intent or they wouldnt have codified into law. Once its in the law its really difficult to change. They can want whatever they want but until they go through due process ... its a pistol.

Well obviously that was their intent or they wouldnt have codified into law. Once its in the law its really difficult to change. They can want whatever they want but until they go through due process ... its a pistol.
The law is full of unintended consequences.

The people who wrote the NFA did not intend for the Shockwave/et. al. to be a non-NFA firearm, they just never saw the loophole they were writing. Apparently nobody saw it for decades until recently.

The law is full of unintended consequences.

The people who wrote the NFA did not intend for the Shockwave/et. al. to be a non-NFA firearm, they just never saw the loophole they were writing. Apparently nobody saw it for decades until recently.
I'm just waiting for the day I can print a giggle switch from my 3d printer and then legally put it in my AR without getting sent to prison for butt penetration

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top