JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since most pistols come with magazines that hold more than ten rounds, will they become unavailable 7/1? Or will they be sold with 10 round magazines? I'm not familiar with how other states handle that.

Looking forward to Washington having Heller applied to it!
As @srxfan noted, you'll see guns sold at "California Compliant" which is the 10 round mag versions.

FFS, who is going to know what you had in your vehicle before you drove into Oregon or Idaho, or wherever. You all are getting worked up over nothing. If your pulled over on the side of the road and the cop is questioning you about magazines, you obviously screwed up way before that.
I have boxes of new in packaging magazines, some may or may not reside in my vehicle all the time. Who's to say when or where I obtained them.
Just a month of so ago I drove around for a week or two with a box of Glock mags in the back of my car.

Not worried about it at all. For one thing I live in Orygun and I think the last time I visited WA state was last summer. That happens maybe once or twice a year. I spent 25 years living in the Seattle area and I have no desire to go back. I also doubt LEOs care much about this law - a DA might, but only if you get arrested for something else.

FFS, who is going to know what you had in your vehicle before you drove into Oregon or Idaho, or wherever. You all are getting worked up over nothing. If your pulled over on the side of the road and the cop is questioning you about magazines, you obviously screwed up way before that.
I have boxes of new in packaging magazines, some may or may not reside in my vehicle all the time. Who's to say when or where I obtained them.
As with SO MANY things "gun" this is going to come down to DO NOT let your mouth get you in trouble. Normally when people get in trouble over stuff like this its because they just can not shut up.

I am still holding out hope this law doesn't ever stick and gets overturned. In the meantime I am not going to rush out and buy any mags to comply and will roll with my current stock of mags that hold ten or less. As stated in the title, can I modify the internals to make my mags that hold over ten rounds comply? Let's keep on topic and not debate the merits of just not complying. Regardless of our feelings or intentions I don't think that topic needs any air on a public forum. I have had ar10 mags that were bought to be 5 rounders for hunting and they were just 10 round mags with a spacer to limit capacity. Should be fairly easy to mod other 10 round plus mags to meet the law. What's the consensus?
If you read bill, the mags you have a grandfathered. Don't drive around with loaded hi-cap mags and don't use hi-cap mags in crimes.
Otherwise, you're GTG!
OK at home, OK at the range, OK to possess empty on the way to the range or matches.
Yes, owner can make a permanent modification to limit hi-cap mags to only 10 rounds!
And OK against tyranny!
I doubt in many local Shariff's will enforce any ANTI-2A restriction! :)

Let's go Brandon!

If you read bill, the mags you have a grandfathered. Don't drive around with loaded hi-cap mags and don't use hi-cap mags in crimes.
Otherwise, you're GTG!
OK at home, OK at the range, OK on the way to the range or matches.to only 10 rounds!
Yes, owner can make a permanent modification to limit hi-cap mags.
And OK against tyranny!
I doubt in many local Shariff's will enforce any ANTI-2A restriction! :)

Let's go Brandon!
False. If you read the bill, possessing them is not prohibited. You can own them and carry them. You cannot sell them, buy them or give them away.

* This is my opinion and not legal advice.

The more I read the more I see that this is a toothless feel good win for the woke and will not do a damn thing except cost businesses revenue. Sounds like it is business as usual for most of us.

The more I read the more I see that this is a toothless feel good win for the woke and will not do a damn thing except cost businesses revenue. Sounds like it is business as usual for most of us.
It's consistent with previous anti-gun legislation. It makes us no safer, punishes current gun owners and discourages future gun owners.

1) "makes us no safer": If gun laws worked, it would become progressively harder to pass new ones.

2) "punishes current gun owners": Can't directly ban all guns yet but they can appeal emotionally to anti-gun voters by turning the screw.

3) "discourages future gun owners": Essential if you're in it for the long haul.

"Don't drive around with loaded hi-cap mags"
"OK at home, OK at the range, OK on the way to the range or matches.to only 10 rounds!"

Show me where in the new law you are prohibited from possessing magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.
Re read post 44! I'm still confused. We're on the same page of the play book! :)

I was responding to post 44. Why would you advise against continuing to carry your current magazines? It will not be illegal to do so.
Cops won't know the law. Banned means banned to some of them.

Sort of like the carrying an "illegal" knife BS.

I was responding to post 44. Why would you advise against continuing to carry your current magazines? It will not be illegal to do so.
Yes, you can legally possess grandfathered hi cap magazines.

SB5078:
"prohibiting the manufacture, possession, distribution, importation, selling, offering for sale, purchasing, or transfer of large capacity magazines, by allowing continued possession of large capacity magazines limited to possession prior to, and inheritance on or after, the effective date of this act, subject to certain restrictions on the ability to sell or transfer such large capacity magazines and permitting their possession only on the owner's property or while engaged in lawful outdoor recreational activities or use at a licensed shooting range, or when transporting the large capacity magazine to or from these locations,"

Last Edited:
Yes, you can legally possess grandfathered hi cap magazines.
Well thank you finally. It's like pulling teeth. Please stop telling people not to carry their regular mags. They can and should.

Cops won't know the law. Banned means banned to some of them.

Sort of like the carrying an "illegal" knife BS.

This will not be like the old Open Carry situation where LE didn't know it was legal. This is a new law that they will have to learn.

edit: Yes, the knife laws are a mess and the lack of state preemption makes them very difficult to follow. I wound up getting a 2 3/4 " knife that I believe is legal everywhere and then a bigger one for when I'm hiking or riding in the woods.

Last Edited:
The best thing that can happen here with this Bullsh!t is Gov'ner Inslee actually signs this abomination and your all done with it! As flawed as it is, it's actually a gift in disguise, it's so full of loopholes, that it is meaningless and un-enforceable!

The way I see it, it's nothing but feelz for the sheeple and dosn't mean squat to You and Me!

Now for OryGun to ether strike down the False Prophet knudson and his minions I.P's before they go before the voters, or better yet, the voters give him the big stinky finger and tell him to go Fork Hiself repeatedly!

As flawed as it is, it's actually a gift in disguise, it's so full of loopholes, that it is meaningless and un-enforceable!
I don't know how enforceable possessing grandfathered mags is but thats not the point of the law.... the new law anything but meaningless. It essentially prohibits Wa. residents from acquiring standard capacity magazines and that part IS easily enforceable. Thats a huge loss of gun rights.

The best thing that can happen here with this Bullsh!t is Gov'ner Inslee actually signs this abomination and your all done with it! As flawed as it is, it's actually a gift in disguise, it's so full of loopholes, that it is meaningless and un-enforceable!

The way I see it, it's nothing but feelz for the sheeple and dosn't mean squat to You and Me!

Now for OryGun to ether strike down the False Prophet knudson and his minions I.P's before they go before the voters, or better yet, the voters give him the big stinky finger and tell him to go Fork Hiself repeatedly!
People said that about 1639 and the one before that. They still stand and they still infringe.

I'm not saying it isn't an infringement, nor is it caving in, but in the grand scheme of things, it's small potatoes compared to what could have been draconian!
Believe me, I HATE any laws that infringe upon anyone, and this does effect the people in a very negative way as you point out, BUT, there is NO penalty when they cannot enforce anything, making it toothless bluster, nothing more! Yes, it blocks Washington citizens from purchasing any new mags AFTER the ban takes effect, but does it really?

What I'm actually saying here with all this is it's time for damage control and to move forward in the face of this new law!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top