JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Already owned 10+ mags can still be owned and used for defense of the home of the owner or used at the range, but they cannot be carried in a gun outside the home.
I can't find that requirement in the engrossed version, so if there is any good news out of this, it is that this has been dropped from the adopted bill.

RE: 10 round limit.

Negative_waves.jpg

Mine are all compliant (to the US Constitution).

Aloha, Mark

Rather than amend my comment above, I think I found the pertinent section of the actual law 36(a) which states:
"
but shall not be construed to include
any of the following:
(a) An ammunition feeding device that has been permanently
altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds of
ammunition;"

IMO the key word there is "permanently" to me means mods are not legal unless they are somehow made permanent.

This 👆 is correct. The mag must be permanently altered, which is not further defined. This a court would look to a common current dictionary of those words.

This 👆 is correct. The mag must be permanently altered, which is not further defined. This a court would look to a common current dictionary of those words.
I would think "permanent" would mean that it could not be easily returned to > 10 rounds. So putting in a block under the follower, that can be removed in one minute is not going to cut it.

When this hit us in Colorado, it banned the new sale after the enacted/effective date but grandfathered existing mags, with no language to prove it kinda deal. it did demand the same limits and permeant alterations which became the MEME of the CENTURY as it did not specifically state HOW a mag had or could be permentally altered! What we did was drill a hole in the end of each mag at the 10 round limit and install a pop rivet, NO ONE could say it wasn't compliant because there was zero language as to HOW it had to be done! Almost everyone drilled them out and installed the rivet and carefully filed out the inside so the follower would pass over it freely and Bobs your Uncle, Compliant! We also got around the New Sales restrictions by having "Kits" shipped in, MAG-PUL and others shipped bodies and all the parts in, and they were offered for sale as "Maintence/Repair" kits you could buy at any gun shop, or gun show standing shoulder to shoulder with the city cop or county Sheriff Deputy as he/she were buying theirs and then talking about hos stupid the sheep really were!

Now, many on line vendors refused to sell "Kits" including Mag-Pul themselves, until everyone found out about the loopholes and nobody was ever going to be prosecuted for following the laws as written, it is simply un enforceable, PERIOD!

Reading you guys new law plus the video breakdown, it looks like you also lack the specific language describing HOW, I.E. what constitutes a lawfully altered state, so,.......................
Yup, Mag Kits to the rescue! Note how they do not limit parts that would prevent you from doing this, building your own mags from Maintence /Repair kits!

Oregon is about to pull the same Sh!t here, and unless they really change what they have already put forth and it actually makes it to the ballot, we will have the exact same situation here and you guys up north, same as Colorado did those many years ago!

Keep the Faith Brothers and Sisters, the time to be doing Patriot Sh!t is getting closer and closer!

so can an Oregon resident visit Washington with their "large capacity" magazine?
I dont see anything in the new law that suggests its illegal.

so can an Oregon resident visit Washington with their "large capacity" magazine?
I dont see anything in the new law that suggests its illegal.
Watch this at about the 5:30 mark. Looks like he is saying possess is NOT a problem. So someone comes here and posses the mag ok. Later he talks about the danger in how they define distribute which could be a sticking point but, sounds like simply having the mags is nothing for now. With the usual I am not a lawyer, did not stay in the Holiday Inn and all :)

If you're paranoid just put three snap caps in the bottom of your 13 rounder, then don't attempt a "mass shooting" event. Their reasoning was to stop a mass shooter while changing mags. Tell the judge "I couldn't have killed three people your honor, I only had ten rounds in my mag.

Watch this at about the 5:30 mark. Looks like he is saying possess is NOT a problem. So someone comes here and posses the mag ok.
I did watch the vid but everything he mentioned was from a Wa. resident perspective and I was tripped up on the word "importing". though... I "think" they are referring to stores or FFLs in Wa. not individuals.
From the fact sheet list I saw, no - "importing" a mag with more than 10 rd capacity is not legal.
Im not entirely certain how this applies to non residents. Does "importing" mean intent to sell or distribute?

Watch this at about the 5:30 mark. Looks like he is saying possess is NOT a problem. So someone comes here and posses the mag ok. Later he talks about the danger in how they define distribute which could be a sticking point but, sounds like simply having the mags is nothing for now. With the usual I am not a lawyer, did not stay in the Holiday Inn and all :)

Exactly. It looks to me (as a layman) like after July 1st I can still possess and carry the same mags that I do today. What I can't do, as I understand it, is give them away, receive new ones, or sell them to anyone in this state. Or "import" them, whatever that exactly means.

I'm going to assume that I can let someone use my gun at a range even if it has a standard capacity magazine, because they don't get to keep it. Just as I'm not transferring the gun to them, neither am I giving them the magazine.

Im not entirely certain how this applies to non residents. Does "importing" mean intent to sell or distribute?
First sentence in "Import ban" bullet point: "No person may enter with a magazine greater than 10 rounds".

"Import" means to bring something in. Intention is irrelevant.

OTOH - technically, if you had a 20 rd mag already in WA state before July 1, and you took it out then brought it back in, is that exporting then importing, or is it just bring it back into the state? It was already in WA state, so "importing" doesn't really apply? How is a court going to interpret that? This is a fact sheet that is interpreting the law, and I have not read the text of the law, but I assume whomever created this sheet did read the law. Still, that seems like a grey area.

That said, I doubt that someone bringing a gun into the state with a 20 rd mag is going to wind up in court - but you never can tell. OTOH, if a driver with OR plates gets stopped for speeding and they have an open box full of 33 rd Glock mags visible to the LEO, they may wind up in court. Remains to be seen. Me, I would not intentionally take a 10+ rd mag into WA state or any other state that has that kind of law.

5173204_5088304701231067_6009816517564610572_n-jpg.jpg

Last Edited:
First sentence in "Import ban" bullet point: "No person may enter with a magazine greater than 10 rounds".

"Import" means to bring something in. Intention is irrelevant.
yup, and just as you posted this I finally found it in the text, (page 8) section 38 states: "
"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a11
place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a12
place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington."

Looks like non residents cannot visit the state while in possession of a high-cap mag.

yup, and just as you posted this I finally found it in the text, (page 8) section 38 states: "
"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a11
place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a12
place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington."

Looks like non residents cannot visit the state while in possession of a high-cap mag.

My interpretation would be that residency doesn't matter; if it doesn't mention it, then it applies to residents also. But the only way it would hold up in court - for a WA state resident - would be if you admitted to the "import" in a statement to an LEO or in court, or if they have a roadblock/etc. at the state line and do an inspection there as you cross the state line.

Otherwise, you could just say that you somehow reacquired it after you crossed the state line back into WA state - plus they would have to prove that you took it out and brought it back in. If you keep your mouth shut about where you were, where you were coming from, etc., then the burden of proof is on the gov. to show you took it out and brought it back, and/or that you didn't have it prior to that trip (hence, a good reason to not have mags with a bate marked on them that is 7/1/22 or later.

Good reason to get all the mags you want before 7/1

Personally, I have 10 rd mags for most of my guns so I can take them to CA, CO and now WA state.

Since most pistols come with magazines that hold more than ten rounds, will they become unavailable 7/1? Or will they be sold with 10 round magazines? I'm not familiar with how other states handle that.

Looking forward to Washington having Heller applied to it!

FFS, who is going to know what you had in your vehicle before you drove into Oregon or Idaho, or wherever. You all are getting worked up over nothing. If your pulled over on the side of the road and the cop is questioning you about magazines, you obviously screwed up way before that.
I have boxes of new in packaging magazines, some may or may not reside in my vehicle all the time. Who's to say when or where I obtained them.

When this hit us in Colorado, it banned the new sale after the enacted/effective date but grandfathered existing mags, with no language to prove it kinda deal. it did demand the same limits and permeant alterations which became the MEME of the CENTURY as it did not specifically state HOW a mag had or could be permentally altered! What we did was drill a hole in the end of each mag at the 10 round limit and install a pop rivet, NO ONE could say it wasn't compliant because there was zero language as to HOW it had to be done! Almost everyone drilled them out and installed the rivet and carefully filed out the inside so the follower would pass over it freely and Bobs your Uncle, Compliant! We also got around the New Sales restrictions by having "Kits" shipped in, MAG-PUL and others shipped bodies and all the parts in, and they were offered for sale as "Maintence/Repair" kits you could buy at any gun shop, or gun show standing shoulder to shoulder with the city cop or county Sheriff Deputy as he/she were buying theirs and then talking about hos stupid the sheep really were!

Now, many on line vendors refused to sell "Kits" including Mag-Pul themselves, until everyone found out about the loopholes and nobody was ever going to be prosecuted for following the laws as written, it is simply un enforceable, PERIOD!

Reading you guys new law plus the video breakdown, it looks like you also lack the specific language describing HOW, I.E. what constitutes a lawfully altered state, so,.......................
Yup, Mag Kits to the rescue! Note how they do not limit parts that would prevent you from doing this, building your own mags from Maintence /Repair kits!

Oregon is about to pull the same Sh!t here, and unless they really change what they have already put forth and it actually makes it to the ballot, we will have the exact same situation here and you guys up north, same as Colorado did those many years ago!

Keep the Faith Brothers and Sisters, the time to be doing Patriot Sh!t is getting closer and closer!

Yeah… I'm not going to take the time to alter hundreds of mags. The state can ESAD.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top