JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can buy long guns in Oregon... but handguns have to be in your home state

No "off the books" private sales in OR or WA so the only way would be to meet at an FFL to complete the deal.

You'll want to check with the FFL before taking a drive, if your address on your license does not match what's on your ID.

Some "might" accept a vehicle registration, as an oversimplified example.

For a non-prohibited person......buying isn't usually a problem.

Taking possession is.

A lot of laws to follow for both the buyer and seller to follow.

Aloha, Mark

Generally, the ATF says that a non-resident can buy long guns (i.e., NOT handguns) outside of their state of residence, as long as the purchase is legal in both states.

However, IMO, it seems to me that there is a grey area there; i.e., Oregon cannot (and does not IME) enforce WA state laws - not sure how they could legally. I am not sure if WA and OR share firearm purchase data, so I am not sure what happens when you cross state lines with your purchase - I have long since given up on staying up to date on WA state firearms purchase laws - usually (the last time I bought a firearm in WA state was about 7-8 years ago IIRC).

I don't think any OR FFLs are going to try to keep up on WA state laws either - I have not heard of an FFL saying anything about that aspect of interstate purchases - I think they just care that it isn't a handgun, and that the BGC goes thru and that the info you enter matches what is on your ID, and that your ID is official gov ID. From then on, what happens afterwards is your worry - in their minds?

Maybe the larger gun sellers - like Cabela's would maybe have policies on such things?

Has anybody run into an FFL in OR state that tried to enforce WA state laws on purchases/transfers?

You'll want to check with the FFL before taking a drive, if your address on your license does not match what's on your ID.

Some "might" accept a vehicle registration, as an oversimplified example.

I have not had a problem with any FFL; the address on my license is non-existant - it has worn off the temporary label DMV sent me. This is a common problem. I just show them my vehicle registration. As long as both are not expired and one has an address on it.

Yes....I-1639 has thrown a monkey wrench into doing transactions. But then, personally I haven't tried buying a semi-auto in OR recently.

Anyway.....from my personal experience as a WA resident dealing with OR. And please.....no need to take offense. As I have not named anyone (or business) by name. Not to mention that things may have changed and WA also has their share of idiots too. So then, from my post long ago.......

Oregon FFLs are idiots.

Say it this way.......BTW, I'm NOT a lawyer nor am I willing to re-read the OR statute (if there were changes since the last time). YES, even though I'm a WA resident, I have read the OR statute before.

Story Time......

Note that this is a RIFLE transaction, handgun transactions are different. So then......

I'm a WA resident (non prohibited person, w/CCW Lic. for WA) and I wanted to buy a rifle from a guy in OR. IIRC, he lived in Eugene (or maybe it was another city near that Kommunist Kapitol of OR). Anyway, I was prepared to drive all the way to his city. Meet with him and his FFL and do the transfer. But the seller was thinking that maybe the FFL was gonna say something. Me being from WA and all that. So, I asked that the seller contact his FFL about the situation.

The seller called me to cancel the sale.

What The _______? So, I asked what happened?

He said.......
that his FFL said......
OR Law would NOT allow me (WA resident) to buy the rifle and take it home with me that day. And added that I had to have the rifle sent to my FFL in WA, before I could actually take possession of it.

B.S. I re-read the OR Law and quoted the section to the seller. I asked that he find another FFL and this time to make it clear to the intended FFL, that this was a rifle transaction.

Before I left my home to meet with him, the seller called me back. He claimed, that his 2nd choice FFL also said the same thing.

Whatever.......
Perhaps, it was more of a case of.......the FFL didn't know %@$* or the seller just didn't want to sell. But, I'm only guessing about their motives.

Anyway, we agreed to go back to our separate corners of the world. Go in Peace My Friend, Live Long and Prosper.

But, this entire episode bothered me. Assuming that the seller was truthful.........that meant that the OR FFLs were flat out wrong (or not knowledgeable about their business). So, I called a FFL (pawn shop) in both OR and in WA. I gave each the scenario of the intended transaction. Seller doing the transaction in their home state.....changing OR for WA and vice versa as the case may be.

Bottom Line (speaking of a long gun btwn OR and WA and vice versa)......
Either way......a buyer can meet a seller at the FFLs place of business and make the transfer as long as the proper papers and BGC was done. The buyer can then take his newly purchased long gun back home to his state. Note: I prefer to meet at the seller's FFL as I'm trying to make it convenient for the seller.

Conclusion......
Pawn Shops are MORE knowledgeable, than their Gun Shop counterparts. LOL.....OK, Ok, ok.....maybe not always. And maybe, it's just that some gun shops don't know their own business. Because, just a few months later, I purchased a rifle in OR from an OR resident. The transfer occurred at an OR gun shop and I took home my purchase without a hitch. So, all is not lost for the gun shops of OR.

That all being said......develop a relationship with a good/knowledgeable FFL. If in doubt......run your scenario by the FFL.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....for inter state handgun sales.....handguns need to be sent to the buyer's home state FFL. The FFL in the buyer's home state, is responsible for assuring that all Federal, State, and Local Laws are followed, before the buyer takes possession of the handgun.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Yes....I-1639 has thrown a monkey wrench into doing transactions. But then, personally I haven't tried buying a semi-auto in OR recently.

Anyway.....from my personal experience as a WA resident dealing with OR. And please.....no need to take offense. As I have not named anyone (or business) by name. Not to mention that things may have changed and WA also has their share of idiots too. So then, from my post long ago.......

Oregon FFLs are idiots.

Say it this way.......BTW, I'm NOT a lawyer nor am I willing to re-read the OR statute (if there were changes since the last time). YES, even though I'm a WA resident, I have read the OR statute before.

Story Time......

Note that this is a RIFLE transaction, handgun transactions are different. So then......
all that. So, I asked that the seller contact his FFL about the situation.

The seller called me to cancel the sale.

I'm a WA resident (non prohibited person, w/CCW Lic. for WA) and I wanted to buy a rifle from a guy in OR. IIRC, he lived in Eugene (or maybe it was another city near that Kommunist Kapitol of OR). Anyway, I was prepared to drive all the way to his city. Meet with him and his FFL and do the transfer. But the seller was thinking that maybe the FFL was gonna say something. Me being from WA and
What The _______? So, I asked what happened?

He said.......
that his FFL said......
OR Law would NOT allow me (WA resident) to buy the rifle and take it home with me that day. And added that I had to have the rifle sent to my FFL in WA, before I could actually take possession of it.

B.S. I re-read the OR Law and quoted the section to the seller. I asked that he find another FFL and this time to make it clear to the intended FFL, that this was a rifle transaction.

Before I left my home to meet with him, the seller called me back. He claimed, that his 2nd choice FFL also said the same thing.

Whatever.......
Perhaps, it was more of a case of.......the FFL didn't know %@$* or the seller just didn't want to sell. But, I'm only guessing about their motives.

Anyway, we agreed to go back to our separate corners of the world. Go in Peace My Friend, Live Long and Prosper.

But, this entire episode bothered me. Assuming that the seller was truthful.........that meant that the OR FFLs were flat out wrong (or not knowledgeable about their business). So, I called a FFL (pawn shop) in both OR and in WA. I gave each the scenario of the intended transaction. Seller doing the transaction in their home state.....changing OR for WA and vice versa as the case may be.

Bottom Line (speaking of a long gun btwn OR and WA and vice versa)......
Either way......a buyer can meet a seller at the FFLs place of business and make the transfer as long as the proper papers and BGC was done. The buyer can then take his newly purchased long gun back home to his state. Note: I prefer to meet at the seller's FFL as I'm trying to make it convenient for the seller.

Conclusion......
Pawn Shops are MORE knowledgeable, than their Gun Shop counterparts. LOL.....OK, Ok, ok.....maybe not always. And maybe, it's just that some gun shops don't know their own business. Because, just a few months later, I purchased a rifle in OR from an OR resident. The transfer occurred at an OR gun shop and I took home my purchase without a hitch. So, all is not lost for the gun shops of OR.

That all being said......develop a relationship with a good/knowledgeable FFL. If in doubt......run your scenario by the FFL.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....for inter state handgun sales.....handguns need to be sent to the buyer's home state FFL. The FFL in the buyer's home state, is responsible for assuring that all Federal, State, and Local Laws are followed, before the buyer takes possession of the handgun.

Aloha, Mark
Just to clarify your last point about interstate handgun sales, the seller can bring the handgun to the buyers state ffl or they can send it to the buyers FFL as you indicated. I agree FFLs seem to have different interpretations of the rules of the game. I guess they do whatever they think will keep them out of hot water with the feds.

Just to clarify your last point about interstate handgun sales, the seller can bring the handgun to the buyers state ffl or they can send it to the buyers FFL as you indicated. I agree FFLs seem to have different interpretations of the rules of the game. I guess they do whatever they think will keep them out of hot water with the feds.

You are correct arakboss.

Aloha, Mark

BTW.....

There was also that time when an OR FFL wanted to charge me DOUBLE on a private sale transfer (because I was from out of state).

F#@* him. YES, it's his business. But, I'm also free to NOT use his services.

Aloha, Mark

Ooops.....I forgot about.......

There is also that FFL (in Tacoma, WA) that refused to do private party transfers.

Huh?

Rrrrright.....their lawyer said not to. So they don't. Luckily, there are other shops in the area who will do private party transfers.

But note, that this private party transfer mess, could have all been avoided IF......we were still allowed to do private party transfers without bothering/involving an FFL.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads