JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After nearly half an hour of deliberation, I opted to use up the camouflage paint I had laying in the garage from a duck hunting boat project back in the late 1990's.

Figured this would break up the outlines better than nothing. Not that I am planning on doing much hunting with a short barrel 870 or an AR.

Never know though, Maybe someday I'll move to AZ, or Tx, and use em for Wild Hogs or Peccary.

480823-31b91597a251e242b0a031e6f0e93666.jpg

Not that I am planning on doing much hunting with a short barrel 870
Not meaning to thread drift..but a shorter barreled shogun with a open choke works well for grouse at close range...
I have hunted and taken grouse with such guns in the past and plan on using at times , my 870 Wingmaster with its 18 inch Improved Cylinder bore , for grouse this year...

In any case I do like the paint scheme you used on your 870 and AR rifle...
Andy

I've been happy with my spray paint outcomes. Obviously it isn't nearly as durable as some other methods, but as it wears it also contributes to the camouflage. Plus, if it turns out in a way that isn't preferred, repainting is easy. I think most of the time people have a bad experience with spray paint when they decide to go that route is never having a plan to begin with. A good paint job takes planning, or at least planning helps make the paint job more likely to be a good one the owner would be happy with.

Rifle 1 (2).jpg
Rifle (2).jpg

A little story............. about 7-8 years ago I ended up with a Maverick rifle (basically a renamed Mossberg 100 ATR without the adjustable trigger) with a cheap scope on it. Well, I got a wild hair up my rectum and decided to put a rattle can camo pattern on it. Fast forward 5-6 years, it was being used along with varmint rest and some dummy (I'm not going to tell you the name of the person and rat myself out) wasn't' paying attention and let the integral plastic trigger guard get in front of the rear rest arms. I don't need to tell you that someone had quite the surprise when they touched off a round and little pieces of plastic flew everywhere.

Since I was going to have to replace the whole stock, I decided that I wasn't going to put another plastic one back on it. It was going to be wood and I was going remove the paint, you know, to make it look more like a traditional hunting rifle. Before I stripped the paint off, I stumbled upon Boyd's "Rapid Fire" section and picked up a 100 ATR stock for less than $100. When the stock arrived, I figured I would check the fit of the stock before getting busy and removing the paint. The minute I put it together, I decided that I liked the way it looked, so that's the way it stayed.

I have a little more painting to do on it, as I picked up a Vortex scope to mount to it and it needs to match.

Ray

56ED01D0-EA48-4589-B8BB-39EECBE9101A.jpeg I totally dig this.
A play on the Rhodesian camo.
Mostly I think people try to make the camo too complicated. Tiny patterns don't break up the outline like the bolder contrast shown here.
I intend to do the same style soon but with more area appropriate colors.

@Saffir did an AMAZING job on my .300BLK rifle this last weekend. Here it is, missing a few parts yet as the paint cures. But overall it turned out excellent!!

58406109493__E0AA1394-78A1-4DA0-8185-AB30DC2487D7.jpeg

Edit; Hunter Specialty 4 color camo spraypaint kit, used 3 out of the 4 colors provided, and inspired by ww2 German Panzer "Ambush" scheme (most commonly seen on Panthers and King Tigers)

Broad strokes freehand first, then contrasting small jagged dots using poster paper punched holes. Pretty effective in Central Oregon ;)

20160724_075114.jpg 20160721_104733.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews