JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Long before Cerakote was a hip thing..
We used to rattle can our M16's , M4's and CAR15's along with , and it pains me to say this...Our M21 rifles, while in the Army , in certain theaters of operations....

So I say , put some thought and practice into a pattern you like and paint it...
Andy
And the same gun might be painted 3 or 4 times .
Depends on where you where going to

All my guns that I have painted.
I hung from a string and paint it as it spins .
Light to dark.
Never used patterns or anything like that .
Just hung it and started spraying.

I did a swirl-paint refurb on a very beat up Ruger 10/22 I'd had since I was a kid:

330858-0f120011d346409e08af867cbf81b6f7.png

I followed the instructions in this video:

Long before Cerakote was a hip thing..
We used to rattle can our M16's , M4's and CAR15's along with , and it pains me to say this...Our M21 rifles, while in the Army , in certain theaters of operations....

So I say , put some thought and practice into a pattern you like and paint it...
Andy

Cerakote is pretty pricey if you want a number of colors. When I did my Ruger 10/22, I bought basic cheap rattlecans of matte colors to do the painting part, then sprayed that with a matte epoxy clearcoat -- also a rattlecan but a two part type which required breaking some internal container. Anyway, I love the finish. It feels great, smooth but textured and it has barely any shine. I used that same clearcoat on the receiver and barrel and it is completely impervious to heat, Hoppes, and CLP. Anyway, instead of buying several $30-40 cans or bottles of color, you can buy several $3-4 cans of color and one expensive can of clearcoat.

This is what I used ($22):
https://www.amazon.com/USC-Spraymax...t+spray+matte&qid=1561001242&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Manufacturer's info:
2K Clear coat - SprayMax

Cerakote is pretty pricey if you want a number of colors. When I did my Ruger 10/22, I bought basic cheap rattlecans of matte colors to do the painting part, then sprayed that with a matte epoxy clearcoat -- also a rattlecan but a two part type which required breaking some internal container. Anyway, I love the finish. It feels great, smooth but textured and it has barely any shine. I used that same clearcoat on the receiver and barrel and it is completely impervious to heat, Hoppes, and CLP. Anyway, instead of buying several $30-40 cans or bottles of color, you can buy several $3-4 cans of color and one expensive can of clearcoat.

This is what I used ($22):
https://www.amazon.com/USC-Spraymax...t+spray+matte&qid=1561001242&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Manufacturer's info:
2K Clear coat - SprayMax

Not quite sure why you quoted me...
As I was saying what we used to do while in the Army , before Cerakote was a option on civilian firearms...
And I also mentioned that we did rattlecan our issued firearms as certain times and places...
As well as saying that is the OP liked the idea , then rattle can away....

All of which really has nothing to due with your post or even me being worth quoting...
Andy

Not quite sure why you quoted me...
As I was saying what we used to do while in the Army , before Cerakote was a option on civilian firearms...
And I also mentioned that we did rattlecan our issued firearms as certain times and places...
As well as saying that is the OP liked the idea , then rattle can away....

All of which really has nothing to due with your post or even me being worth quoting...
Andy

Just extending the conversation on cheap rattlecans.

Here's one I did last year... A Smith&Wesson 1500(Howa) 300WM
That I received covered in mold green paint... spent $20 on Citrustrip and a few cans of Krylon it turned out pretty good.
Bet you can't see it in pic#2;)
417AF204-AD43-472F-9131-3610DC3C454C.jpeg
B2A71E20-9C2C-4619-A2AD-A6FF19677A13.jpeg

I am going to get some camo cohesive tape (the kind they use for bandages) and try that on various parts of some rifles - maybe the grips on some handguns where I can't get Hogue rubber grips.

It adds some grip, and the texture and color adds camo.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Camo for me is less about the pattern than covering up parts of a weapon that are so shiny that they reflect a lot of light, regardless of color. Other than that I don't think weapons need much camo because they generally don't have a relatively large surface area like a person.

When camouflaging a item it is important to break up any "hard Lines" and add "smoothness" as in lines , colors and texture , that flows together....
Andy

Was just reading through this thread and was all set to mention that despite the awesome paint schemes and colors shown (which is only one aspect of effective camouflage) you still have to break up the hard lines as those REALLY POP out in nature.

Some game animals are color blind (deer) while it's believe some can see in the UV spectrum (ducks), so all the fancy patterns could be for naught if the silhouette still stands out.

Tuesday I was down in my woods scanning my slash piles from the house side of the gully - for smoke.

It was about noon and a doe and fawn came over the hill and headed right for me. I was in the shadows in the trees and they were out in the sun. I stood still and was trying to get a vid but the trees and branches were making it difficult. I was wearing a bright blue shirt with OD green pants. The deer never saw me, but my fiddling around with the phone and the beeps it made finally scared them away.

I have found that most game will not see you if you stand still and quiet. The last deer I shot was less than ten yards away from me. I was sitting very still on a stump out in the open in a ravine, and the buck walked right by me - it was more focused on the doe that also walked right by me.

nc_oc=AQmLuEUaTT1J0k8w2v3IwVW7YfGzcj79SM93-oUofQBOSxUcSxITXvJOZyC6UzEltn0&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

And yes, that was what I was wearing.

Now humans are a different matter. They can pick out shapes and patterns and colors and reflections and notice movement just as much as wild animals. Color and reflection are what I try to minimize.

Tuesday I was down in my woods scanning my slash piles from the house side of the gully - for smoke.

It was about noon and a doe and fawn came over the hill and headed right for me. I was in the shadows in the trees and they were out in the sun. I stood still and was trying to get a vid but the trees and branches were making it difficult. I was wearing a bright blue shirt with OD green pants. The deer never saw me, but my fiddling around with the phone and the beeps it made finally scared them away.

I have found that most game will not see you if you stand still and quiet. The last deer I shot was less than ten yards away from me. I was sitting very still on a stump out in the open in a ravine, and the buck walked right by me - it was more focused on the doe that also walked right by me.

View attachment 592666

And yes, that was what I was wearing.

Now humans are a different matter. They can pick out shapes and patterns and colors and reflections and notice movement just as much as wild animals. Color and reflection are what I try to minimize.

I can't decide if you look more like "Wolverine" or "Hyde" from "That 70's Show".... LOL! ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top