JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least we have that spiffy new Tilikum Crossing bridge

yeah, as Portlands newest bridge one would think they thought of the big Cascadia quake in its design. If so then whats the big deal if the Burnside bridge goes down as long as there is at least one crossing... ?

Propaganda!!
B.S.!!
Fear-mongering!!
Money-Grab!!
Call it what you want, this video is about drumming up money for themselves, nothing else.
Disrupt river traffic?? What about the five other bridges downstream and six upstream, two just a few blocks away, that will do the same thing??
Affect emergency services?? They will be busy on their own side of town, not too much reason to go looking for work across the city.

"I understand that seeing images of the effects of a major earthquake can be overwhelming." No, it's a cartoon. Can't remember the last time I was "overwhelmed" by a cartoon. Oh wait, yes I can, it was NEVER!!

People need to accept the fact that if the bridges collapse Portland will become two separate large population centers, each with a substantial amount of emergency services. I find it much more reasonable to accept that and prepare for it than to waste millions (Billions?) of dollars studying a problem that is not reliably fixable in the end. No matter what they try to do to earthquake-proof the bridge, it may not work!!

Just tired of people using these kinds of tactics to fund themselves!! The only difference between them and the guy on the street corner is instead of playing on your sympathy, they play on your fears. Both are just begging for money.

:s0137:

Call it what you want, this video is about drumming up money for themselves, nothing else.
Disrupt river traffic?? What about the five other bridges downstream and six upstream, two just a few blocks away, that will do the same thing??
Affect emergency services?? They will be busy on their own side of town, not too much reason to go looking for work across the city.

drumming up money for what else? The city is actually prepping....
As far as Im concerned the more bridges left standing the better off we all are. My biggest concern is if Im on the other side when it happens...

The problem with this video is that it only shows what would happen to the bridge during such an earhtquake, and leaves out what would would happen to the surrounding area.

There is a disclaimer at the start of the video that says that in plain english.

The fact is, if such an earthquake were to occur, the soil on both sides of the river would liquefy. This would happen upstream as well. That would send a wall of trees and debris into the "shipping lane", an area that would now look like the area around Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

We wouldn't really need a Burnside Bridge after that earthquake, because there would be no Burnside Street to connect.

A full scale Cascadia quake WILL destroy that bridge. It MAY be left standing if there are major $$$$ structural upgrades done to it but it will still have to come down in the end and it will need to get replaced with another bridge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top