JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sledge, I never been to Mississippi. Are you from Biloxi area? I bet Mississippi Gulf Coast is very nice and hope to go down and visit it. I also like year round warm weather and I bet Southern Mississippi stays pretty warm year round, unlike Tennessee which gets damn cold (for my wimpy a**; I hate cold weather). Although , still mild compared to NOrth of me. The only issue I would have with living on Gulf Coast of MS is those giant F5 Hurricanes you seem to come through there time to time and wreck havoc.
Yes Long Beach. Very hot and humid in the summer and can get down to 20's in the winter for a day or so. Hurricanes are only bad every 20 years or so and it has to be a direct hit. We don't worry about them much but leave when a Cat 3 or above is headed our way. Cat 2 we ride out.

@Sledge Wow, I didn't know it got into the 20s even down on the Gulf Coast.. But, it doesn't surprise me because even Florida gets its cold spells. Thankfully, they don't last long, Even in Middle TN.. As soon as it gets cloudy its kind of like Oregon and warms up into the 40s and 50s in the heart of Winter. In fact, Atlanta was strangely colder than Nashville for part of Winter and got more snow than we did this year.

I guess you all are a bunch of Johnny come lil too late. I moved here in 90. The handwriting was on the wall, the forest product industry in Oregon was going to be decimated. I wanted to keep logging and Idaho fit the bill. The califorication of Oregon had been going on for years at that point. I never looked back, was the best thing I've done. Went down there in February before the covid hit, first time in over twenty five years, I'm good for another twenty five years.

Nowhere. I'll stay put.

I'm in Ag, wife is in health care. No reason to relocate anywhere.

Wow. This got long....
Don't bother moving to Alaska to "ride it out".

Yup. I spent a few months every year, off and on, in the mid to late 80s, working gov contracts in Alaska, from Ketchikan to Anchorage to Fairbanks. IMO, if someone wanted to be off the grid up there, the best chance would be from Juneau south, which kind of restricts your choices and mobility. A person would have to be young to do it too - too late for me (way too late), and I would prefer Montana anyway (worked there off and on too).

My extended family has been in the CdA area since at least the 40's. We have gone back to visit every couple years since my folks moved back in 79, they weren't gone long. We usually went in the dead of winter when we got laid off every year. Anyone that says they have bad winters...makes me laugh. They've had a few doozies, but generally it isn't much or very long. Grass is growing there when mine is still under 1-2 feet of snow most years.
We couldn't leave till the husband retired. We are free to go where we want now!

My extended family has been in the CdA area since at least the 40's. We have gone back to visit every couple years since my folks moved back in 79, they weren't gone long. We usually went in the dead of winter when we got laid off every year. Anyone that says they have bad winters...makes me laugh. They've had a few doozies, but generally it isn't much or very long. Grass is growing there when mine is still under 1-2 feet of snow most years.
We couldn't leave till the husband retired. We are free to go where we want now!
Some years it can be pretty catastrophic and some years it just rains and doesn't even snow. I remember one year I was in Pullman and we had over 5 feet of snow that came in November and didn't leave until March. That year, it must have dumped a few feet more than that in Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint. But, I also had a year like that in Boise that usually gets mild winters. North Idaho/Eastern Washington has some extremes. You also got to deal with the heat waves and wildfire. A good chunk of North Idaho burned bad like 4-5 years if I remember correctly.

Last Edited:
The "West" has changed A LOT! It is not the place to come and hide or go off the grid. Montana and Idaho tourist agencies have a very strong "promotional" program advertising all of the "good points" and painting some image of "paradise" to appeal to ALL sorts of populace. They come, they see, they STAY! I get 'confused' when traveling around the area, thanks to new construction, new or closed roads and of course there is the proliferation of vehicles and 'sheeple' of ALL persuasions. Stay where you are, prep if you think you need to or 'gather', but know or 'learn' you own enviroment (even the cubby holes and forgotten areas). Take care and enjoy your endeavors!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top