JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
TL;DR
Any other fellow Northwesterners ever considered moving to North Idaho in these chaotic times? I'd be interested to hear other people survival plans of where they may go to. Especially for those poor souls stuck in the cities of Portland and Seattle and may not feel confident riding out a more chaotic economic situation if SHTF.

I've been reading several articles from different sites of best states/areas to ride out economic collapse in the USA, which is seeming to me to be more and more likely with how things are going and even conservative states now are pandering to the whole perpetual lockdown agenda like Texas and Florida. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if we have a Biden presidency that he would lock us down the way it was done in Europe via Executive Order, even ,and mandate only mandatory store trips, require certification or authorization from authorities, phone tracking apps, etc. Especially, if Americans start panicking when they see we have 20,000+ cases a day. Yes, some say NEVER HERE, but I say NEVER SAY NEVER. THings have been happening I thought never could happen.

I lived in South Idaho for 2 years and it wasn't my cup of tea, just because I am not really a desert person and Boise wasn't my favorite city, even though I loved the mountains around it like the Sawtooths. The city, itself, seems to be getting more liberal and doesn't have the freedom loving Idaho spirit you see outside of Boise proper. Although Ada county, itself, is a mixed bag. I am one of those doomsdayers who feels economic collapse is near and trying to think of the best place I can go to ride out this storm. I'm not in my prime anymore due to disability and being a little older, but still feel I have some fight left in me. Maybe, getting away from the computer a bit more often may do me more good than harm. I am a software developer by trade, but been struggling after losing my business due to Covid.

I am currently living in the Southern US in the metro of Nashville, TN but want to get out of here for many reasons. For one, Nashville is becoming as liberal as many of the Left Coast cities and its politics are wrecking havoc on the area. Of course, despite a huge surge in murders, armed robberies and other types of crime the mayor has vowed to cut the police force to appease BLM/Antifa protesters /rioters who wrecked havoc on our cities. Although, thanks to our Governor, they didn't get to harass the city for too long before he brought the Guard in. However, of the four major Tennessee cities , all of them are either very liberal (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga) or moderately, like Knoxville. Knox county is pretty conservative and freedom minded. A lot of rural mountain areas to the East could make some think of it as a good place for survivalists. But, some fear the giant nuclear facilties nearby.

However, the South just has a lot more violent crime than the Northwest even in some smaller towns; although, not necessary as many burglaries. But, who knows how these things are actually reported. Seems like every day I hear about violent burglaries gone wrong in Nashville. Just yesterday a 72 year old guy shot dead a 27 year old drug addict who broke into his house and tried charging him. It's getting too common here. Then, there is the fact Nashville is about as expensive as Portland is and the wages are not really any higher. The economy is collapsing, the city is in bankruptcy and yes, that affects everyone in the area. To me, this does not feel like a good place to survive or ride out the storm of economic collapse. Nashville, like a few other boom towns, was a city gambling with its future with its huge debts and I feel it has lost.

Well, leaving aside why I want to get out of Nashville I am thinking where I do want to go. I will say being from Oregon I miss the Cascade mountains and the Northwest alot. But, I saw the storm clouds coming when I was living in Seattle area a few years ago and knew it was time to get the hell out of dodge. Yeah, my intuition was very correct as that was right before I-1639 passed (I-549 already passed) and all the other chaos and the rise of the Communist revolution in the Northwest which is now seems to be in full throttle. They shut down one Chaz, another is bound to open. Too many crazies West of the Cascades. I left Oregon because the taxes were brutalizing my small business and it was not $800/mo for a nice house in SW Portland like back in the 90s.. Those houses were going for $2000/mo to rent.

However, to me if you are a native to the Northwest, North Idaho is really an ideal place. It is everything we could want the Northwest to be and reminds me more of the way the Northwest use to be. The forested mountains will give a Western Cascade person the feel like they are still back home and the Selkirk and Rocky mountains to the East are stunning, remote and some of most beautiful scenery I have seen in my travels across the country and world. It seems like so many of the articles I read about best places to weather the storm of economic collapse and societal chaos points to North Idaho, Western Montana and Wyoming. SOme claim Eastern WA and Eastern OR, but I worry being under the iron grip of such despotic leaders especially if we have a Presidency and Congress that swings to the radically left side against civil rights , especially in a time of economic despair. However, Montana, seems to be struggling a bit with the large number of liberal transplants who now want to vote away their freedoms. Ironic in a state that cherished freedom and independence for so long. I feel Idaho and Wyoming (too rural and empty for some) could be last refuges for people on the WEst Coast. Utah seems to have a growing faction of craziness too, but its environment does make me wonder of its survival potential Salt Lake City has a good economy but seems to have a radical element and I was surprised by the large presence of gangs and other shady elements for being such a remote city in Rocky mountains.

If I was to stay local, many of the same magazines/articles that boast about North Idaho, Wyoming or Montana due seem to have some reverence to the Appalachian mountain region of Eastern Kentucky, Far-Eastern Tennessee and potentially North Carolina and South Carolina (which are more Southeastern/Mid-Atlantic states, but also cross into Appalachia). As much as I would like to try to move to North Idaho and live in Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, even Post Falls , I am coming to the reality with Covid that it will be damn hard to move across country and not practical, especially with loss of my business. I notice there are much, much fewer rentals available (esp for July) and for those trying to buy , many have taken houses off the market. I am coming to terms I will be probably stuck in the South to ride out whatever impending economic doom we may face.

I am thinking about headed to areas like Johnson City, TN or Lexington, KY that are kind of reminiscent to me of rural Oregon in some ways. A little different culture, but not bad people. Some may be considered a little rough around the edges up in the Appalachians. Just a little hard being an outsider it seems. However, the cost of living in Johnson City/Tri Cities or even Lexington , KY isn't bad and the crime is lower in these places compared to bigger cities in the South. Some of these articles suggest living in rural Eastern Kentucky, but damn, unless you grow and hunt your own food and have a little knowledge of the land good luck surviving out there. Ever heard the song You'll Never Leave Harlan alive? Haha.. Not that I am not striving to be self-sufficient at some point, but I think Eastern TN has a little more civilization and not the immense poverty of Eastern KY. I am far from being any survivalist, I will not lie. Been so stuck in rat-race, I strayed away from prepping and surviving and regretting it. But, I am aiming at finding a place I can survive the storm and hopefully live the best life I can.

These magazines make some good point about retreating to places like Alaska, Rural Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota, etc. Very, very cold and desolate places and if our society is crumbling it may not be the easiest places to survive unless you have serious winter survival skills. Living in a city like Anchorage , itself, is a questionable place and no guarantees how it will weather the "economic storm". It's crime rate is pretty high.

I think big cities are not the best place to be if things go more downhill as I am seeing. It seems living in smaller cities or towns with low crime, moderate weather (unless you can handle the cold or extreme heat) are most ideal. Perhaps we may not have pure anarchy or mass suffering, but just live in a crappier, poorer, more crime-ridden world and living away from the chaos , but not in middle of absolute nowhere is the goal. If you are one of those people with a bunker and 5-10+ years of supplies and live way out in the woods more power to you. That would be the most ideal, obviously. That was my 10 year plan.. I botched that up :rolleyes:.

Here are the articles I read that gave me a little inspiration. One is 10 years old, but damn, still seems relevant:

Last Edited:
Its cold up there in north Idaho, the growing season is short. You need some serious greenhouses and know how to grow enough food to be even a little self sustaining, it takes years and years to develop your own strains that grow well on your patch of land. My point being its a lifestyle you have to be doing now if thats your plan to survive a disaster down the road. Ive learned this watching family do this sort of thing in that area.

Last Edited:
We drove through Idaho last year.
I wanted to show my wife the state I lived in as a young man.

It was packed with people!
And even though the places were familiar? Their former glory was completely diminished.

So I learned a simple truth.

You can return your body to the place that you came from.
But you can never go home again.

That would take a time machine.

Last Edited:
Follow up to my earlier post (was on a coffee break).

Now and moving forwards amidst a depression isn't a great idea to up and relocate UNLESS one has had plans on doing such for a while anyways. Scoped out areas, housing markets, jobs & such already. IMO.

Furthermore, big cities area never a good idea. UNLESS one's skill set is only marketable in such, and the general "plan" is to do so for a limited timeframe, then move on. Still NEVER a great idea to LIVE in said big city. Live on the outskirting pockets of metro / suburbia, if available.

Plenty of folks are still relocating amidst this.

Family friends son & daughter in law just moved from Spokane area to coastal South Carolina a few weeks back. No job ahead of the move either. Son got a decent mid level slot comparable to that which he left all ready, using local networking. Pretty risky move, but worthwhile to be close in to family. Move is working out quite well all ready.

Peer where we work's husband recently took a spot up Couer d'Alene area. Really bummed about such, she's an excellent scientist, but was commuting an hour plus each way up from N Cali. Group he's with is paying for the entire move, kit & kaboodle, PLUS help with finding property & financing such...including a chunk on the down (contracted already). Moving the end of the month. Another risky move, not being networked yet & no family, however if they can snag the rite property, things should work out well.

Another scientist was scooped up for an admin slot back up Portland way back in February. Her move isn't working out as well, haven't sold there newly built house/home office down here yet & haven't found their next dream house yet up there. Renting, which is causing extra sprinkles of relationship stress (husband works from home, needs a true home office tho).

So that's 2/3 moves we know going well just since the new year/Covid crud.

Headed forwards smooth moves will likely get more & more challenging.

Might even see folks leaving keys in the mailbox like we've never seen before, to double or triple up with family. Hope not, but as the economy tanks, all bets are off. And we haven't seen but the tip of the iceberg so far.

So the point of my earlier post "You are where you are whenever whatever happens." Is that IT'S HAPPENING RITE NOW.

If you're thinking on relocating, IMO do so pretty gosh darned soon. Or "plan" on making the best of it wherever you are & "plan" on doing so for the long haul.

When I did my assessment the only issues re Idaho panhandle - still it's in my top 5 places:
  • It's a known place for preppers to live, and to hungry folks preppers = food, guns and other resources, so you are on the RADAR.

• It's close to the Golden Hoard of gangs that will emerge from Spokane if all breaks down. You will also have to deal with the looney lefties forced out of Missoula and Bozeman (when they realize the Eastern Idaho won't have none of their bubblegum).

• You need local knowledge when choosing a location because some areas will get a LOT more snow than others

• As has been mentioned the growing season is short so you need to be committed to quickly coming up to speed on efficient practices for the area.

• Lots of reclusive types who don't get that "no man is an island". You need community for safety and ensure a set of complimentary skills necessary for survival. Wherever you go, you need to integrate and become a known and trusted person. What do you bring to the table that ensures your place?

• Eventually it will become part of Stomperstan and you may be required to carry him around on his litter or even worse become the slave required to wash his underwear.

If it was up to my wife we would already be in Northern Idaho. We looked at property / homes last summer and are happy with the area (note we were there in summer). As others have noted, growing season is shorter and greenhouse would be needed but not a big deal, have one here now. Just don't need to use it much...yet. We have some friends up there now and several others we have lost contact with who are now up there that we could reconnect with that would be helpful for networking.

Currently we are out of the "city" and in a much more comfortable situation, to me, than living in tight population hubs. Politically, the states with the fewest large cities will survive the best. How often do we hear, "If it wasn't for (fill in the blank on the large city name) this would be a great place." Most of Cali is awesome...yes, truly...just not many people live there so their votes don't hold enough weight. We are now that way in Oregon. And a big cities grow that is where the people with their hands out congregate for services and you have the perpetuation of Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. There is a difference between helping people in need (all for that and try to do what I can) and creating needle give away programs and decide not to enforce quality of life laws (not cool with that one).

Idaho has managed to keep this balance so far but Boise appears to unfortunately be on that train. This might not be popular wisdom (especially to the folks in rural ID) but the more who move to these areas that are likeminded, pro 2A folks, the better chance of over ruling Boise. I saw a statistic that showed the folks moving to ID politically mirror what is already there (i.e. conservative to liberal). Good for them and hope this keeps up.

Not a great time to move, but we are watching closely (housing markets, interest rates, politics) and keeping everything on the table.

Lemme know if you need a parts guy.

...and this here...Gem!

Neighbors plan to move to parent's property (including house/etc.) in rural Montana - which they are from. Had enough of Oregon even though they live here on a rural mountain.

Me - been to Montana and Idaho and eastern WA. Winters too cold for these old bones. Short growing season, etc.

My plan (if I haven't already mentioned it) is to move about 30-50 miles west into the eastern foothills of the coastal range. Someplace with a much more gradual slope than what I live on, with a southern exposure (currently northern) and less expensive land. That plan is kind of in limbo right now - not sure it is going to work without a job to get a mortgage (would be minimal, but still).

I like the weather here - at least from early spring to late fall. If you are careful, there should be plenty of water in a well and precipitation for crops. Economic collapse? I am unemployed, just applied for FRA SSI, so I will have income as long as SSI lasts (probably until I am dead). If I find the right property, I can live on SSI and my retirement funds. But TBD.

A) As others have said, it feela like this are accelerating too fast to move now, unless you are in a really bad spot.

B) creating your own "micro ecosystem" with friends, family and good neighbors all on the same page is more important that the macro area you are in (IMO).

Just last fall made extensive tour of Idaho from N to S, and much around where I grew up in Boise area of the 50s-60s-early70s.

Such areas as "Kuna" used to be a days ride out into the puckerbush. Now it's nearly downtown Boise. While there are massive upgrades in the various buildings and roads, there are also serious downgrades for massive population increases and a traffic pattern endemic to the PDX jaws of hell night & day. Or at least early early to late late. Don't know about the midnight crowd. One Boise-Caldwell route we had to take during rush hour, was well over an hour, using the best of remaining secret ninja backroads. About 8:30PM was able to go the reverse direction on main route in about 20 minutes.

All the areas I used to go to get away on a dirt bike are now somebodies back yard or bird habitat. I fled Boise because it was 'too conservative' in the early 70s; now it's become Little PDX. I wouldn't move back there for love nor ammo. Nearly all my family/friends are dwindled away & reside in only memory. I'd be a cranky geezer ill fit for camping in their 'no conservative zone' regardless.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews