JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well thats pretty cool if they can span the Willamette like that, but it wont mean much until the rest of the regions infrastructure is repaired and that will take years. At least I might be able to safely cross to finish my walk home if Im on the other side, can they really span the Willamette? Im skeptical...

They can with linked cantilevered bridges or really easily with floating sections. Ive seen the Rhine bridged where you could drive tanks over. The Rhine is MUCH wider.

This quake would be very similar to the one that struck Japan in 2011, but nobody really remembers the damaged caused by the quake itself, because their infrastructure was equipped to handle it. What they weren't prepared for was a tsunami that big. Our region is prepared for very little and we know it's coming. They can scare monger for money all they want as far as I'm concerned as long as its spent on improving the infrastructure. We may have a day or 100 years. It's not a lost cause.

This quake would be very similar to the one that struck Japan in 2011, but nobody really remembers the damaged caused by the quake itself, because their infrastructure was equipped to handle it.

o_O

it is the costliest natural disaster in history...

Yes, but I'm talking about the quake itself. tsnumai caused a great deal of that. Portland and other areas inland would be effected by the earthquake.

its true the tsunami caused a lot of concentrated damage so most of the media attention was about that. But my assumption was the tsunami did about half the damage in general, I think areas that were quake only affected fared better but the damage was spread out more as opposed to the concentrated damage of the tsunami areas.

I guess that makes me feel a little better not living on the coast...

Since the tides affect the Columbia River to Bonneville Dam and the Willamette to the falls, a 50' or higher tsunami is bound to have a effect on both rivers and surrounding areas. They don't say much about that though. Flooding of downtown Portland , Airport and low lying areas around both rivers maybe? On top of the earthquake damage.

if the quake is big enough to destroy any of the dams that serve the Willamette the valley is doomed to flooding.

Ok, I have remained silent on this long enough.... Here's what I learned at a recent conference presentation by Gov. Kate Brown's office. The presentation was an hour long plus questions.. Actually it was less questions and more incredulous outrage. I will try to distill it down into a snapshot of the Kate Brown's "plan". All of the scenarios addressed earlier in this thread are optimistic at best as to the severity of the devastation that will be suffered in the region. Worry not however, state employees and the government will be relocated to "somewhere in Bend", the exact location is classified. Projections show that within 48 hours, 60,000 relief workers will be brought to the area. However the airports will all be rendered useless and so temporary LZs will be created where the can. Freeways will be impassible and while bridges will suffer damage, even if they are intact, the approaches will be damaged severely making use of the bridge impossible. The plan is to get transportation North/South reestablished first, and then West to the Coast. Best projections put this at 6 months to a year. All of Portland's fuel depots are down near the river which will liquify during the quake, turning the port areas into an inferno and environmental disaster of epic proportions. So even if they get the freeways open, there will be no fuel to be had. Everything will have to be airlifted in. Transportation is going to be back to the stone age, and folks with horses in rural areas will have a distinct advantage. Wounded will likely die where they are due to inability to get help to them or evacuate them from where they are. After shocks will continue to topple buildings in town and many will die from dysentery, disease, and lack of clean water.

The Fed has ponied up money to help with disaster planning... Since transportation will be impossible, you might think the state would be focusing on distributed medical facilities, moving the fuel depots, or earthquake proofing freeway approaches.... You would be wrong however.... The plan is to make a parking structure in Salem with a command center in the top of it...I'm not sure what will park there since the roadways will be useless, but that's the plan! Go Kate!

The room was full of licensed engineers, yours truly included, and it almost turned into a mob scene because of the lack of foresight in the "plan".

Ok, I have remained silent on this long enough.... Here's what I learned at a recent conference presentation by Gov. Kate Brown's office. The presentation was an hour long plus questions.. Actually it was less questions and more incredulous outrage. I will try to distill it down into a snapshot of the Kate Brown's "plan". All of the scenarios addressed earlier in this thread are optimistic at best as to the severity of the devastation that will be suffered in the region. Worry not however, state employees and the government will be relocated to "somewhere in Bend", the exact location is classified. Projections show that within 48 hours, 60,000 relief workers will be brought to the area. However the airports will all be rendered useless and so temporary LZs will be created where the can. Freeways will be impassible and while bridges will suffer damage, even if they are intact, the approaches will be damaged severely making use of the bridge impossible. The plan is to get transportation North/South reestablished first, and then West to the Coast. Best projections put this at 6 months to a year. All of Portland's fuel depots are down near the river which will liquify during the quake, turning the port areas into an inferno and environmental disaster of epic proportions. So even if they get the freeways open, there will be no fuel to be had. Everything will have to be airlifted in. Transportation is going to be back to the stone age, and folks with horses in rural areas will have a distinct advantage. Wounded will likely die where they are due to inability to get help to them or evacuate them from where they are. After shocks will continue to topple buildings in town and many will die from dysentery, disease, and lack of clean water.

The Fed has ponied up money to help with disaster planning... Since transportation will be impossible, you might think the state would be focusing on distributed medical facilities, moving the fuel depots, or earthquake proofing freeway approaches.... You would be wrong however.... The plan is to make a parking structure in Salem with a command center in the top of it...I'm not sure what will park there since the roadways will be useless, but that's the plan! Go Kate!

The room was full of licensed engineers, yours truly included, and it almost turned into a mob scene because of the lack of foresight in the "plan".

this is good insight, Im not going to say whatever they come up with is totally worthless but along with the flaws pointed out my biggest gripe with the states plan is their lack of support to suggest individuals prepare more than "3 days" of emergency rations and supplies despite their own studies showing our infrastructure will be down 6 months to years.... And not to mention not one word from the state for citizens be prepared for their own security even though they do mention we could be without police services for up to 6 months. The whole thing screams of govt support and repair and nothing about self sufficiency and virtually nothing about citizens being prepared beyond "3 days"...

dont worry, the state will take care of you....

hopefully the epicenter will be under Salem and the politicos will be present when it hits. Not having to deal with bureaucrats and THEIR politician lackeys should speed the recovery by at least 1/2!!!!!

Sheldon

I will just agree with all this 100%, and add one thing. After being involved in emergency services in one form or another for the last 42 years, and responding to thousands of emergency calls, one thing is constant. No amount of paper modeling and planning will result in an actionable plan. An infinite number of variables will monkey wrench every thing you do. Guaranteed. I think any of us could poke a thousand holes in that plan. Anybody knowledgeable in military logistics could do five thousand.

No amount of paper modeling and planning will result in an actionable plan.

they keep modeling their plan on getting assistance to the victims with some strategy such as helping the worst places expanding outward. This leaves many others left out while the "most needy" is helped first. An actionable plan that would work is to get the people (who will be the victims) to prep... the less people that need assistance the more people the state can reach and the faster the city can rebuild.

Koda: Im not going to say whatever they come up with is totally worthless

OK, I will say it then. Anything the state comes up with will be totally useless.

Outside of ODF, who does a pretty good job with fire supression, the State of Oregon could f up a steel ball. They have demonstrated that time and time again.

They will be like the French in WW II. The minute the bullets flew, they ran for the hedge row with a bottle of wine and loaf of bread, while my father and his generation, fought the Germans, drank their beer and screwed their women.

Im not going to say whatever they come up with is totally worthless

OK, I will say it then. Anything the state comes up with will be totally useless.

all I meant by that is that I don't know enough about their plan to really criticize it. Some plan is better than no plan but that doesn't mean said plan wont make things worse. Supposedly they will have 60K relief workers arriving... that cant be bad even if they screw up and put them all in one spot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top