JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A bit off topic, but for my own curiosity... is there really that much demand for M855?

I think I might have a couple cases... more just because it was just rippin dirt cheap at the time and sometimes you just gotta mag dump.. but not really all that great for paper punching.. and too many much better defense rounds available... so.... (??)

M193... that's gonna sting... :(

Last Edited:
A bit off topic, but for my own curiosity... is there really that much demand for M855?

I think I might have a couple cases... more just because it was just rippin dirt cheap at the time and sometimes you just gotta mag dump.. but not really all that great for paper punching.. and too many much better defense rounds available... so.... (??)

M193... that's gonna sting... ;)

IIRC M855 only becomes "in demand" when M193 is running dry.

"Most folks" also agree that M855 isn't as decent for range use, accuracy wise.

Heck, most ranges didn't even allow M855 use prior to inventory issues post Sandy Hook.

What happened with ammo prices during the covid financial crisis. You would think people out of work might not have been spending their money on ammo. Instead they cleaned the shelves out everywhere. A supreme court descision, lost elections, etc could be the impetus for renewed rioting and or panic buying.
BUT, But, but.....all the FREE money.

YEAH......and now we got INFLATION.

Well, don't look at me........I got less than $100 out of that deal.

Aloha, Mark

Back when it was plentiful I would only stock up on 193 for range purposes. The only way I would take 855 if it was under .20 a round and we would just blast that crap for chits and gigs and I'd keep all the brass.

The demand is there so someone will make it. This might be a good time for a transition with ammo being so expensive as it is. Tons of surplus military from other countries and folks like Norma above will eventually fill the gap. Nothing stays the same forever.

The demand is there so someone will make it. This might be a good time for a transition with ammo being so expensive as it is. Tons of surplus military from other countries and folks like Norma above will eventually fill the gap. Nothing stays the same forever.
I thought all ammo suppliers were already running at full capacity and had many months or years of backlogged order?

Midwayusa use to carry it.
Midway often has the IMI/IWI M855 and M193 on sale.
Today: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090862857?pid=898842
Also today, strangely OOS is the M855: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090460512?pid=621319

I believe I stated on this forum at least a couple years ago that the future of gun control was going to be for the feds to make ammunition either unavailable or prohibitively expensive for anyone but the wealthy.

I also believe that what's going on in Congress is just a smokescreen -- the real gun control efforts will continue to be on the state level (witness Delaware now, NY state last week, Washington state next session) and sneaky-bubblegum stuff like the Biden admin is pulling with the Lake City factory...

In like fashion to @The Heretic, I pulled an inventory of my .223/5.56 stash this evening...

4,000 Federal M193 in 50-rd boxes
3,500 223 Rem 55-gr FMJ in 50-rd boxes
800 223 Rem 55-gr FMJ on stripper clips
840 Federal M855 62-gr on stripper clips
820 223 Wolf 55-gr FMJ, steel-cased, in 20-rd boxes
100 Aguila 5.56 FMJBT 62-gr in 50-rd boxes
3 ~ 30-rd mags full of M193, "just in case"...

That's 10k+ rounds. As long as I don't go mag-dump-krazee, I should be good for a little while...

Last Edited:

Green tip does defeat level 3 poly plates. Those are the ones that are about 3.5 pounds a piece, very popular for their weight and still offering protection from many popular rifle threats. M193 can be stopped by poly plates, not green tip though.

That's also why practicing hitting non-torso target areas is good because practicing for hitting an armored area all the time creates a training scar.

In like fashion to @The Heretic, I pulled an inventory of my .223/5.56 stash this evening...

4,000 Federal M193 in 50-rd boxes
3,500 223 Remington 55-gr FMJ in 50-rd boxes
800 223 Remington 55-gr FMJ on stripper clips
840 Federal M855 62-gr on stripper clips
820 223 Wolf 55-gr FMJ, steel-cased, in 20-rd boxes
100 Aguila 5.56 FMJBT 62-gr in 50-rd boxes
3 ~ 30-rd mags full of M193, "just in case"...

That's 10k+ rounds. As long as I don't go mag-dump-krazee, I should be good for a little while...
Only 3 mags sitting loaded at all times. You sir are not ready for the Red Dawn parachuting Russians… :)

Only 3 mags sitting loaded at all times. You sir are not ready for the Red Dawn parachuting Russians… :)
That's why I have a bunch on stripper clips... ;)

They were Russkis? And here all this time I thought it was Cubans that parachuted onto the school grounds... o_O

Yeah, I'd say thay wuz Russkis...

But there was a Cuban d00d in there leading some Russkis at one point. Colonel Bella, or sump'n like that...
That's true, and it's really irrelevant also because if they are wearing the wrong flag they get the high velocity lead injection anyway.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top