JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you invested in Body Armor?

• Yes

Votes: 105 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 45.6%

• Total voters
I wouldn't mind having some. That being said, for most people, their personal risk assessment should focus on things far more likely to kill them like triple bacon cheeseburgers and ciggies than taking multiple rifle hits. I think it's silly when people are unhealthy worrying about BA.

Level III+ enhanced soft for me with integral plate carrier to add to as needed! Also a custom made set of level IV+ plates with short gorgets on a harnesses that work with or independently of the soft! The Soft is for daily wear, and as such is very comfortable for long term use, and net as heavy as others I have tried! enhanced stab/impact protection and proof against 9mm and .44 mag as well as shotgun slugs!

I have not invested yet but I have a somewhat sub par plate carrier that would work with AR500 plates, It would work for what it's intended for.
I'm just not going to spend $1k & look like I came out of a Tacticool store.:D

I have two plate carriers.
The first one I bought is a cheap one with Sapi plates.
I bought it before I really research them
And then I got a better one later.
Lol there basically useless.
Unless SHTF.
because there is no way you can use it every day.
Each plate is 8lbs then add some mags and other stuff to it .
It gets up to around 40lbs.
So it sits in the closet.

None for me but I got each of my kids ballistic inserts for their backpacks. There is a ballistic panel available for the doors on my Tahoe. I wouldn't mind stumbling across a couple of those one of these days.

Unless SHTF.
If I got steel plates I would glue Harbor Freight magnets to them to attach magazines.

Unless SHTF.

I'd like to buy some just to have it and pretend like I'd wear it on my daily walks in the winter to increase fitness. The reality is that I'd probably just wear it while playing COD.

This stuff looks very good. Keep meaning to call and ask if they have a store front since they are just a few miles from me.
No store front, but they planing to open one. Next week I will order t-shirt to try out how it's wear, and shoot at from 4 different calibers.

I'd like to buy some just to have it and pretend like I'd wear it on my daily walks in the winter to increase fitness. The reality is that I'd probably just wear it while playing COD.
I have a 20lb weighted exercise vest I sometimes use on walks. Just sandbags in a vest. eBay or Amazon has them fairly cheap.

Here's what I got for my kids, Sentry Shield level IIIA. Rated to stop 9mm, 44 mag and 357 Sig. Very light weight and flexible. About 80 bucks. Free shipping at the time.
SentryShield® Level IIIA Bulletproof Backpack Insert - Sentry Shield USA

IMG_20190329_150036.png

I don't know about an investment but I rationalized the purchase as a workout vest. AR 550 isn't that expensive. It's great to work out in as the weight is well balanced and keeps me in shape for elk season.

BA in most cases just something for the 'guy who has everything' ...
Sort of the 'why not' factor

I would say that if you have every other personal protection angle covered and you foresee the possibility that it might be beneficial... Well, go for it.

A couple hundred bucks will get you a carrier and some ar500 plates that will stop anything up to a 308.
Although nothing is a guarantee. Velocity is what defeats these plates and some 556 & 308 can get through if the round is hot enough and you are close enough.
YouTube has plenty of 'tests' for you viewing pleasure.

As mentioned before... You can get lighter and more expensive gear.
A basic ar500 setup, carrier and two plates will get up to 20lbs

Think about why you need/want it and go from there.
You can always sell it later on.

I look at armor the same as i look a Concealed Carry, i have it and hope to never need it! I do travle to large urban centers often enough to justify armor, especially areas that forbid any defensive protection ( bay area Kali), so at least with armor, i have a reasonable chance!

Wore it at work. Fellow officer gave me an ancient Blauer vest that was the best fitting armor I ever wore. Protection level? Who knows? Needs a new carrier. Might have DW sew one up if I feel particularly paranoid. Still, it would work well for motorcycle riders, might prevent some blunt force trauma or the incursion of roadside detritus into the thorax in a get-off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top