JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SafeLife. LEO here recommended them. I was impressed when I looked and the set I had was due to be replaced so ordered one from them. They did take over a month to get it too me but they made that clear from the time I ordered that it would be around a 5 week wait. GREAT soft armor. They sell external carriers for it and they are FAR more comfortable to wear it that way.

SafeLife. LEO here recommended them. I was impressed when I looked and the set I had was due to be replaced so ordered one from them. They did take over a month to get it too me but they made that clear from the time I ordered that it would be around a 5 week wait. GREAT soft armor. They sell external carriers for it and they are FAR more comfortable to wear it that way.
Here's my biggest problem with SafeLife... they are not on the NIJ0101.06 Certified list of brands/products as far as I could see... :s0092: So... maybe they really are good, and proven... but I have concerns as to why they aren't NIJ certified?

Here's my biggest problem with SafeLife... they are not on the NIJ0101.06 Certified list of brands/products as far as I could see... :s0092: So... maybe they really are good, and proven... but I have concerns as to why they aren't NIJ certified?
No clue. Don't know how that works. If the maker has to submit samples or what. There is a lot of video's of their stuff being tested both by them and others. It impressed hell out of me. I have seen vests (that I have owned) that were certified that could not hold a candle to the stuff. By all means though buy one from someone else if it offers more piece of mind. I don't own any part of Safe life. Galls has been real good to me over the decades. Have a few vests from them made by both Point Blank and Second Chance. The Second Chance vest I bought was from after they got sued into bankruptcy and then came back. Galls has always had a good selection and very fast service. Now don't know with this latest panic if they too are having trouble keeping up but give them a look, see what kinds they have.

May be more worthwhile to get whatever vest/carrier, then wear a blaze colored standard RO vest over it. Whatever standard RO blaze vest the other RO's at your range wear.

Then your not stuck with blaze armor. Should you want to sell it, or NEED it, IF our world goes sideways.

I am an RSO at my range and never considered wearing body armor. Was there a close call or something that started interest?

I am an RSO at my range and never considered wearing body armor. Was there a close call or something that started interest?

It's entirely personal preference and in all honesty driven largely by my wife lol. Some wear T shirts, some vests or plate carriers. For me, I just lean towards that little peace of mind. But no, in 20 years they have not had an issue that I am aware of.

May be more worthwhile to get whatever vest/carrier, then wear a blaze colored standard RO vest over it. Whatever standard RO blaze vest the other RO's at your range wear.

Then your not stuck with blaze armor. Should you want to sell it, or NEED it, IF our world goes sideways.

This is excellent advice, thank you.

It's entirely personal preference and in all honesty driven largely by my wife lol. Some wear T shirts, some vests or plate carriers. For me, I just lean towards that little peace of mind. But no, in 20 years they have not had an issue that I am aware of.

Ah, understood. The only vest I wear while on duty is blaze orange and says RSO on it. :D

I'm not too sure that RSO's wearing body armor is the message that most ranges are looking for. Safety and a safe environment is paramount, wearing armor kinda says the opposite.

I'm not too sure that RSO's wearing body armor is the message that most ranges are looking for. Safety and a safe environment is paramount, wearing armor kinda says the opposite.

Agree, however can also see why some folks whom do volunteer as RO's would want a little extra insurance.

Given the sheer numbers of newer firearms owners, and the amount of time RO's spend around folks they don't know well.

Negligence, sadly, does occur.

I'm sure many of us have seen things at a range which makes one think "What the heck!!"...

Agree, however can also see why some folks whom do volunteer as RO's would want a little extra insurance.

Given the sheer numbers of newer firearms owners, and the amount of time RO's spend around folks they don't know well.

Negligence, sadly, does occur.

I'm sure many of us have seen things at a range which makes one think "What the heck!!"...
I wear a vest at my spot but it has no RO back there with us. They are watching from out front but, the people watching have to deal with customers too. Have seen some scary stuff that makes me almost always go weekdays, when they first open, just because it is normally much slower then. Makes me nervous when the place gets full.
When place was first built each stall had some kind of commercial carpet covering the walls that protect you from others. In no time every single stall had furrows in the carpet where some shooter in there had an "OOPS". As someone else mentioned there seems to be a ton of brand new shooters now days. Used to be rather rare to see a brand new shooter at my place. Now it's common to see someone checking in with new pistol in box saying they are trying to shoot for first time. Although I have to say in my experience the brand new shooters always seem to be over the top careful. The idiots I see doing stuff that scares me are east to see people who have been shooting for a good while. When we see outdoor places that are put off limits due to morons shooting signs, tree's, leaving trash all over, we all know that was not done by someone who just bought a gun. :mad:

Makes me a little disapointed to see some of you are not proponents of vest wearing. In my eyes, there's no such thing as "too safe".

To the OP, wear one if you feel like it. Do what makes you feel right. Better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it on. Accidents happen all the time. At this time, there are a LOT of newbie gun owners shooting at our ranges.

You can get one that is highly concealable under a sweatshirt or flannel. Crye Precision makes a bare-bones PC that is highly concealable. (You still need plates to put in them.)

If your range is an outdoor range, the vests also help keep you warm. So there in itself is an added benifit.

After the last few RSO trips, I may start wearing soft armor while on duty during a patrol.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews