JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I would argue that there needs to be a "few more" than just the Divine Four...

How about:
1) No handling of firearms during cold range (hey, I've seen it happen)
2) No going downrange during hot range (hey, I've seen it happen - or at least they started to) :rolleyes:
3) No firing of rifle or centerfire pistol cartridges on the rimfire plinking range (hey, I've seen it happen - those targets aren't made to stand up to that kind of firepower)
4) No incendiary, tracer, or explosive rounds (hey, I've seen it happen - my range is in EWA, where it gets hot and dry in the summer - there's at least one range fire every year cuz some knucklehead fires tracers or incendiaries)
No impaired (drunk, high) people on the firing line seems prudent to me.

1) No handling of firearms during cold range (hey, I've seen it happen)

2) No going downrange during hot range (hey, I've seen it happen - or at least they started to)
I would argue that these are implied under the "Divine Four", and/or if those four are followed appropriately by all, these two become unnecessary.

3) No firing of rifle or centerfire pistol cartridges on the rimfire plinking range (hey, I've seen it happen - those targets aren't made to stand up to that kind of firepower)
Agreed that not all projectiles are suitable for a particular built environment, but I don't see this so much as a rule, but rather as information pertaining to appropriate range use. Probably a technicality, but you know what I mean.

4) No incendiary, tracer, or explosive rounds (hey, I've seen it happen - my range is in EWA, where it gets hot and dry in the summer - there's at least one range fire every year cuz some knucklehead fires tracers or incendiaries)
This is typically already covered by local, state, and federal fire season regulations, and therefore redundant as a range rule.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, and your point has validity, but I think most can see the validity in what I'm saying as well. I've been to ranges where one can exercise all the common sense in the world and still break the silly rules which, from my experience, only cause unnecessary conflict, and a strong desire to not plop down cash for a membership!

if only shooters developed the rule list rather than lawyers…

Last Edited:
I've been to ranges where one can exercise all the common sense in the world and still break the silly rules which, from my experience, only cause unnecessary conflict
I agree with you completely on this. I went to a range in Kitsap County and learned after one mag that at that particular range, one is not allowed to shoot faster than one round every two (2) seconds. That, to me, is what I would call a silly rule. I do not train that way. I do not expect that if I were ever involved in a SD shooting, that I would shoot that slowly.

For the rest of the story, I was informed rather brutishly by the RSO that I wasn't allowed to shoot at my regular training speed. I asked why, and he told me that it was "too dangerous" and that "uncontrolled shooting" would get someone killed. I asked the RSO that if I could demonstrate my proficiency and attendant accuracy with my firearms at my normal shooting speed, would I be allowed to continue the way I normally shoot. He begrudgingly agreed, and cleared that section of the range ("to be safe", so he said). I was now on display for everyone who had to wait for my demonstration for this guy.

I proceeded to light up two 7-yard targets, with a 13-rd mag of 180-gr .40S&W into each one. I took my time with the first target (so as not to screw up my chances of "winning" this demo), spending about 10 seconds to ventilate it. Everything was within the 9-ring or better. I confidently reloaded and dumped another mag into the second target in about 6 or 7 seconds. Again, all my hits were in the 9 ring except for one flier, which hit the line between the 7 and 8 ring. The RSO was sufficiently impressed (and dare I say humbled) to let me go about my merry way.

It wasn't much longer after that that a new shooter came up and occupied the bay next to me. As I ripped off another mag, this rather portly little sow of a Karen derisively and snarkily informed me that I couldn't shoot that fast at this club. I told her to go talk to the RSO about it. :s0140:

Last Edited:
I am an RSO at my range and I can't think of any time I've seen someone wear armor while shooting.

Outdoors in the forest? Yes. I've done that myself.

Outdoors in the forest? Yes. I've done that myself.
I can see that. Lotta people get potshots taken at them by others with "buck fever".

But I've also seen some pretty crazy shjt while RSO'ing at my range that gives me pause enough to take to wearing my BA under my outer coat.

Two words: "Chris Kyle."

Besides, if you're gonna have PPE in your Home D kit you need to PRACTICE how to move and shoot in it, and that requires going out onto the range in Full Battle Rattle for live-fire.

Interesting subject. If I was the OP and the RO was giving me hell, I'd simply ask said RO how many times they have had to correct someone handling firearms during a cold range. If he answers zero, I'd take off the gear right in front of him. Chances are, he couldn't say that…

Went to the public range today in Northern Idaho w my nephew & GF. Wore my soft armor over my shirt. Went to the 100 range for Saturday plinking.

A RSO teaching a conceal carry class bumbled through the bench area as we were setting up. He called me aside to chat. He said why are you wearing body armor? I said, becaus I'm training and we're at a gun range? Is it not okay? He said they like to keep things "family friendly", they don't want anyone to be intimidating 🤣 he also asked if I was police or military. He said he was for 35 years and had to wear body armor, but doesn't now.

Is body armor not family friendly? Should you not wear your vest to the range? If not, where should you wear it?

Am I doing this wrong? Or did I just encounter a range Karen? 🤔 never had a problem / question at other ranges.

- Internet Operator
And now you know why I remain a member at Chehalem Valley Sportsman's Club. It's small, it's spartan, and there are no bloated ego RSO's waltzing around like they own the place.

Its PPE just like hearing and eye protection. Soft armor at a pistol range, plates at a rifle range. ESPECIALLY at a public range with all the new gun owners with more enthusiasm than practice under their belt.

Its also a great place to store reloads, water, and a first aid kit if you are away from your vehicle. 20201016_204550.jpg

I can see where some might be more comfortable with some sort of armor on, I was at a speed steel match and one on the other contestants was shooting some kind of cast bullet the was shattering rather than splatting on the steel plates even standing behind the firing line we'd get hit by the spalled lead. I to belong to a private range so middle of the week, middle of the week I can have a pistol bay to myself. I've shot at public ranges before and on occasion have gone back to the office to get my money back because of some RSO making stuff up like I can't have my brass back at an out door range. It wasn't in the rules, he just wanted my 10mm brass.

I can see where some might be more comfortable with some sort of armor on, I was at a speed steel match and one on the other contestants was shooting some kind of cast bullet the was shattering rather than splatting on the steel plates even standing behind the firing line we'd get hit by the spalled lead. I to belong to a private range so middle of the week, middle of the week I can have a pistol bay to myself. I've shot at public ranges before and on occasion have gone back to the office to get my money back because of some RSO making stuff up like I can't have my brass back at an out door range. It wasn't in the rules, he just wanted my 10mm brass.
This is what brass-catcher bags are for, at least on rifles...

...some RSO making stuff up like I can't have my brass back at an out door range. It wasn't in the rules, he just wanted my 10mm brass.
This is what brass-catcher bags are for, at least on rifles...
This is why, as soon as I see someone (RSOs included) sniffing around my brass when on the rare occasion I'm shooting on the public side (cuz there's a comp going on the private side), I always give them a polite warning, "I'll be takin' that brass home with me, Friend..."

I was at my range last year for some real-world training. I wanted to make the circumstances as real as possible because train the way you fight, right?

So the first thing I did was to strip down to my underwear because that's how I sleep. Then I shot myself in the left leg and right arm, to simulate an almost worst-case scenario. The RSO came running over so I dumped him because duh, bad guy charging. I let him get within 21 feet, of course.

Then I had my wife stand right next to the plate at 10 yards, like a bad guy had a gun to her head, while I yelled don't shoot don't shoot she has kids and then I popped the plate like John McClane capped Hans Gruber. I shot while laughing, of course, so as to set the mood. The slide locked open on the last shot and we left.

I was at my range last year for some real-world training. I wanted to make the circumstances as real as possible because train the way you fight, right?

So the first thing I did was to strip down to my underwear because that's how I sleep. Then I shot myself in the left leg and right arm, to simulate an almost worst-case scenario. The RSO came running over so I dumped him because duh, bad guy charging. I let him get within 21 feet, of course.

Then I had my wife stand right next to the plate at 10 yards, like a bad guy had a gun to her head, while I yelled don't shoot don't shoot she has kids and then I popped the plate like John McClane capped Hans Gruber. I shot while laughing, of course, so as to set the mood. The slide locked open on the last shot and we left.
I think this video must be of you in another range session. You can be ID'd by the tactical pink banana hammock.

-Robert

Pshaw, poser. Everybody knows McClane tossed Hans off a building... :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top