JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Water off a ducks back, life's too short to worry much about the mildly annoying. If things would have been different, I'd have reacted different. Those that know me, know that I can have a bit of a "presence" if needed.
1631053902758.png

Ohhh you said back not backside... :D

EDIT: this was a cute Gif but it did not work! :(

Last Edited:
Went to the public range today in Northern Idaho w my nephew & GF. Wore my soft armor over my shirt. Went to the 100 range for Saturday plinking.

A RSO teaching a conceal carry class bumbled through the bench area as we were setting up. He called me aside to chat. He said why are you wearing body armor? I said, becaus I'm training and we're at a gun range? Is it not okay? He said they like to keep things "family friendly", they don't want anyone to be intimidating 🤣 he also asked if I was police or military. He said he was for 35 years and had to wear body armor, but doesn't now.

Is body armor not family friendly? Should you not wear your vest to the range? If not, where should you wear it?

Am I doing this wrong? Or did I just encounter a range Karen? 🤔 never had a problem / question at other ranges.

- Internet Operator
How are you gonna be good in your kit if you can't train in your kit? I see nothing wrong with what you were doing. If it were an indoor public range, it might make some people a little anxious though.

Went to the public range today in Northern Idaho w my nephew & GF. Wore my soft armor over my shirt. Went to the 100 range for Saturday plinking.

A RSO teaching a conceal carry class bumbled through the bench area as we were setting up. He called me aside to chat. He said why are you wearing body armor? I said, becaus I'm training and we're at a gun range? Is it not okay? He said they like to keep things "family friendly", they don't want anyone to be intimidating 🤣 he also asked if I was police or military. He said he was for 35 years and had to wear body armor, but doesn't now.

Is body armor not family friendly? Should you not wear your vest to the range? If not, where should you wear it?

Am I doing this wrong? Or did I just encounter a range Karen? 🤔 never had a problem / question at other ranges.

- Internet Operator

Fernan?

I'm guessing he was just trying to get a feel for you to make sure you weren't a psycho or a dumbass with a credit card.

People really understand estimate how important it is to train every aspect. For instance drawing with jeans is far different then drawing for basketball shorts. If I am shooting Steel close-up I'd want body armory too! I am respectful to firearm instructors until I realize they have no idea what they hell they are taking about. Misinformation or being to strict can make Range experience horrible. As long as your being safe screw what anybody has to say not to sound disrespectful but people to mind their own unless their in fear of safety

A different story, I belong to a private gun range and pulled up to the rifle range As I was getting my gear together I was greeted by some yahoo that told me he was exmilitary and was running the range. I told him that was nice but I don't require adult supervision. He told me I better obey his comands or he'd kick me out of the range. Imagine his surprise when I reached under my seat and pulled out and put on my DCM RO vest and then asked him for his membership card, turns out he was a guest, not even a member.

Uh, that was a weird experience - did you report the person?

I mean for him to say something like he did is not normal and possibly indicative of some serious issues.....

I was not there as a range officer, I was there to shoot some rifles. Generally except during matches there is no on duty RO. Puting on the vest shut him down and we all went on about our business.
So you can beyotch when we do something and beyotch when we don't do anything, but what you can't do is effectively second guess us from afar. Remember Mike was off duty, the guy was being unfriendly not unsafe, and we are Safety officers, not Happy officers. If he makes me frowny, it's not my place to find some excuse to get back at him. If he had been doing that crap to other people it might have been an entirely different issue, especially if they weren't prepared to stand up to him.

the guy was being unfriendly not unsafe,
Actually according to Mike the guy was lying, saying he was 'running the range' which as far as I am concerned is tantamount to being unsafe.

For one to approach a stranger and to claim they are someone/something they are obviously not, and to perpetuate his claim with a threat, 'He told me I better obey his commands or he'd kick me out of the range' is bizarre behavior and the person bears considerable watching.

Last Edited:
Actually according to Mike the guy was lying, saying he was 'running the range' which as far as I am concerned is tantamount to being unsafe.

For one to approach a stranger and to claim they are someone/something they are obviously not, and to perpetuate his claim with a threat, 'He told me I better obey his commands or he'd kick me out of the range' is bizarre behavior and the person bears considerable watching.
It's odd behavior. Could go either way. Like I said, if he had been doing it to someone less assertive than Mike, it might have been a big deal. I wasn't there and I didn't get to see the interaction.

I just got back from a local convenience store down the road from where I live and while walking up to the door a guy was near his vehicle in the parking lot still yelling about people not wearing their masks.

I went in the store and they were still talking about this guy and the scene he made inside with several customers - which was indicative of him OBVIOUSLY not being a resident of Wickiup Junction.

My point being how many times have we read about wack jobs spouting off about things they have no business with, and have became violent and caused massive problems for themselves and others.

- Internet Operator
Ignore that putz! You train as you fight. This moron should mind his own f-ing business. I'm retired ARSOF. When I train it is with the same kit as I went to war with. Minus the frags and bangers. To be honest, minus the ops-core helmet. But from my neck down is plate carrier, battle belt etc. What sense is to train in civies and then crap has hit the fan, and you forgot how to shoot, move, and communicate in your full kit, whatever that may be. Just my 1.5 cents after taxes!

So my analysis of this guy and I run into this once in a while is that he realy isn't a gun guy and can't shoot worth a darn so he make himself "useful". Generally this type is the one that would rather load magazines and change targets for those that are shooting. I would say he was a bit over zealous in his usefulness towards me. He was probably fine with his group as they were the only ones there until I showed up. So now truth be told, I'm not a Range Officer at this range though I could be, I'm a DCM RO with my intent to RO at State Level Matches. So who bluffed who?

DCM? I'm gonna guess Division Championship Match? o_O

I do not know this acronym. Please elucidate for the lesser of us...
Sorry, back in the day it was the Department of Civilian Marksman's, Now it's called The Civilian Marksmanship Program, you know the guys that run Camp Perry and sell surplus Garrands

Sorry, back in the day it was the Department of Civilian Marksman's, Now it's called The Civilian Marksmanship Program
Yes, I am familiar with the CMP. Did not know it had a previous name.
Thanks, MIke!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads