JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RSO typically has the full support of the range committee and are godlike in range authority - im definitely not suggesting getting crappy with him. "Politely" tell him to mind his own business ought to look something like, and said with a friendly tone of voice and smile, "i understand the concern - but i have to put my personal safety above the notion. Thanks!"
The worst he could do is kick you out, the worst you could do if he is harassing you is have him arrested or if you are a cop arrest him yourself (if it were to get that bad) I went one time with the owner of Fed Way Discount guns and some of his friends that were active duty LEO's and the range cop got aggressive with all of us and it took the owner of the place to basically plead with the cops we were with to not bring the guy up on assault charges.. I am not saying all rso's behave this way but it can be a crap shoot sometimes...

I mean yea - the worst that can happen is you get booted from the range. There certainly should be no need or even concern over law enforcement getting involved - if an RSO boots you from a range, you have zero recourse but to pack up and leave. Take it up with committee later, sure, but an RSO has the final word on the range.

i dont trust that 8 year old nor his fudd father with a .38 revolver anywhere near me
Easy with 'appearances' - it IS possible that 'Fudd' father has more experience than you might think - or than you do for that matter.

Quite frankly I might have a similar 'trust' issue with someone wearing 'body armor' at a public range.

I was once an 8 YO with a VET father who taught me to shoot with a .38 Revolver - A S & W Victory model to be exact - AND this VET once had an 8 YO daughter who started her out at about that age as well - and I could have very easily been seen as a 'Fudd' as well, with my lever action .22, revolvers and other traditional guns.

Easy with 'appearances' - it IS possible that 'Fudd' father has more experience than you might think - or than you do for that matter.

Quite frankly I might have a similar 'trust' issue with someone wearing 'body armor' at a public range.

I was once an 8 YO with a VET father who taught me to shoot with a .38 Revolver - A S & W Victory model to be exact - AND this VET once had an 8 YO daughter who started her out at about that age as well - and I could have very easily been seen as a 'Fudd' as well, with my lever action .22, revolvers and other traditional guns.
A stereotypical generalization only - ive also taught 8 year olds to shoot 38s on the range.

and i wouldnt have been offended at all if everyone around us wanted to don armor.. 🤣

A different story, I belong to a private gun range and pulled up to the rifle range As I was getting my gear together I was greeted by some yahoo that told me he was exmilitary and was running the range. I told him that was nice but I don't require adult supervision. He told me I better obey his comands or he'd kick me out of the range. Imagine his surprise when I reached under my seat and pulled out and put on my DCM RO vest and then asked him for his membership card, turns out he was a guest, not even a member.

Imagine his surprise when I reached under my seat and pulled out and put on my DCM RO vest and then asked him for his membership card, turns out he was a guest, not even a member.
Uh, that was a weird experience - did you report the person?

I mean for him to say something like he did is not normal and possibly indicative of some serious issues.....

Uh, that was a weird experience - did you report the person?

I mean for him to say something like he did is not normal and possibly indicative of some serious issues.....
No I didn't report him, just went on with my business. He was just a wanna bee. If he was even in the service he was probably a cook in the national guard. The only time he was ever on a range was boot camp If that.

No I didn't report him, just went on with my business. He was just a wanna bee. If he was even in the service he was probably a cook in the national guard. The only time he was ever on a range was boot camp If that.
Youre a range officer and took no action against someone posing as a range officer?

Youre a range officer and took no action against someone posing as a range officer?
Yeah I would've taken great pause with that myself. Not because he said he was a "Range officer" but the fact that this individual would just walk up to a stranger and start saying those things would make me think that he has some psychological issues and perhaps someone like that should not be at a gun range. No I'm not suggesting everyone turn nazi or anything and scrutinize everything someone says but I would be rather cautious to someone's behavior that was exhibited towards me in that fashion.

I was not there as a range officer, I was there to shoot some rifles. Generally except during matches there is no on duty RO. Puting on the vest shut him down and we all went on about our business.

To be clear, at no time did I feel threatened by this guy I just felt he was showing off to his people. He just picked the wrong guy to impress.
Word... but as the other dude pointed out, just seems like behavior that ought to be further scrutinized, in the context of mental soundness to be around guns and people and guns

but i wasnt there obviously

Word... but as the other dude pointed out, just seems like behavior that ought to be further scrutinized, in the context of mental soundness to be around guns and people and guns

but i wasnt there obviously
Water off a ducks back, life's too short to worry much about the mildly annoying. If things would have been different, I'd have reacted different. Those that know me, know that I can have a bit of a "presence" if needed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top