JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive noticed a big rift in the shooting community between people who do "normal" shooting at ranges and those who do "training" . Oddly enough some of the "trainers" have begun to call those of us who like to blast away with machine guns or other NFA and the like "fudds" because many / most of us dont buy into competition or training aspect . We shoot for fun not because we think wer'e going to do something even remotely useful with any of this stuff. Ive even been called a government stooge because I chose to SBR guns instead of using them with those silly brace things.

The body armor at shooting ranges. Hey man, to each his own.

Last Edited:
Reality being this: (pure guesswork)
You're in your 20s or 30s he's at least in his 50s . He doesn't know you. You have a female in your group( likely a cute one too).
Of course he came over and tried to Alpha you, it's human nature.
Sounds like a normal Male interaction.

Excellent assessment 👏 A perspective I hadn't considered

I ended the conversation by saying Is there anything else I can help you with? Have a good day 😊

It wouldn't be accurate to refer to it as standard male behavior if only 10% of males exhibit it. It's a large number, but still clearly a minority of behavior when examining the entire population.
I try really hard to be nice all the time.
But the older I get, the more I find myself acting the part of a jerk.
Especially at work, especially with the younger crew members. I am becoming what I once despised.

Can't say I've ever seen it. If I have, it didn't leave a memory. Even when I used to train cops how to shoot, none of them thought to wear their body armor. They were probably relieved to have a day without it. Hell, some forgot to bring their gun, holster magazine or ammo.

Do whatever twists your nipples, don't let some range commando stop you.

Especially at work, especially with the younger crew members. I am becoming what I once despised.
I think it's the patience that wears thin, because without patience, it's easy to be unkind, but regarding the range experience, even if you don't have patience for younger idiots, you most likely don't go out of your way to talk to other people who you might shake your head out due to lack of patience.

That's the difference with the RSO D-bag, he could have easily scoffed and kept walking to where he was going, he made a point to stop and try and assert his credentials. The guy sounds like a has been who thinks that being a retired armor wearer demands any kind of reverence.

This is true. On the other hand, it depends on the range. Some indoor places are pistol caliber only.
Yep and there are some "pistol rounds" made to defeat soft. For me I don't care, I wear mine. Since I wear it at work, often for around 14 hours, I don't even notice an hour or 2 at the range. If I get hit even if the round defeats the armor my chance of living is still FAR better than without it. Kind of like gun safes. Someone will always point out that no matter which one you buy, no matter how much is costs, some scum can break into it. Does not mean I will stack my guns in a closet or go to shoot without soft on ;)

Ive noticed a big rift in the shooting community between people who do "normal" shooting at ranges and those who do "training" . Oddly enough some of the "trainers" have begun to call those of us who like to blast away with machine guns or other NFA and the like "fudds" because many / most of us dont buy into competition or training aspect . We shoot for fun not because we think wer'e going to do something even remotely useful with any of this stuff. Ive even been called a government stooge because I chose to SBR guns instead of using them with those silly brace things.

The body armor at shooting ranges. Hey man, to each his own.
That is really sad. Shooters should embrace ALL who do it legally and support the cause.
Back when I and some buddies had some NFA stuff we would get the opposite problem. Other shooters running over to tell us what we had was illegal. A few, when they found out it was not, wanted to try and had a LOT of fun. Some actually refused to listen and even went to call the Cops on us. Sad that the shooting "community" is always looking for some way to divide themselves.

Older and grouchy is a common theme. I often find myself getting short with some of the younger people who work with me. Often have to stop and think, deep breath, you were their age and knew everything once too. :s0140:

CdA area? The guy is probably retired LAPD, just moved there and has no clue what freedom is. You handled it well. If it happens again, I would e- mail Fish and Game (if State owned) for clarification and hopefully some RSO retraining. If it's a private range open to the public, find another place.

I agree that its odd, to see but aside from the range many folks that have purchased BA don't really have/get a chance to wear it and test it out.. Id figure wearing it once or twice to the range gives you an idea of what its like, then it can be tucked away.

Some see it as LARPing. To an extent I agree, but wearing it to test out fit/function/practicality is a learning experience and provides solid first hand feedback.

I've put in my share of hours as RSO on one of the ranges where I'm a member. Can't say I've ever run into someone wearing a vest on the range. I can see how wearing the vest and using the words, "I'm training" might raise a red flag for some people. They might jump to the conclusion (however erroneous) that a person was "training" for a Las Vegas style event. Taking the longer view, however improbable, there would be a sheet-storm if the guy in training actually later engaged in a mass shooting caper and it came back, somehow, that he'd "trained" at such and such a range. Not only bad publicity but possible civil litigation issues.

Some ranges do consider appearances and how some members of the public might view them. For example, the range where I used to do RSO duty had a policy of not allowing paper targets with human likenesses or silhouettes on them. Another range might not have that level of sensitivity.

Ranges most often exist within some kind of political reality. Meaning, a constituent at any time can go to his local politician and say, "Did you know they are doing thus and such at this range that is in your district?" If they want to do it, it doesn't take much to shut down an outdoor range. They can pull all kinds of safety and environmental tricks out of the hat if they want to. Even concocted claims of off-range impacts.

I agree that its odd, to see but aside from the range many folks that have purchased BA don't really have/get a chance to wear it and test it out.. Id figure wearing it once or twice to the range gives you an idea of what its like, then it can be tucked away.

Some see it as LARPing. To an extent I agree, but wearing it to test out fit/function/practicality is a learning experience and provides solid first hand feedback.
I just caught your location.

Nice, lol.
Shake N bake colonies are on the horizon for real now.

Way ahead of you buddy. I really should drink more. I get nicer when I drink. Somewhere between 4 and 6 beers I start to get louder and more obnoxious, but never nasty.

OP, you did nothing wrong. You met a male Karen and handled him fine. It can be tough for some folks to handle authority. I'm sure I handled it poorly my first time. I have documented evidence that I've done better since. :) Who knows where this guy is in that respect, and who cares. ;)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top