JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm buying a Marlin .44 mag, and would like to hear (true) stories of the biggest beast you've killed with one of these rifles.

Not really interested in a ballistics discussion; just blood-soaked adventures that end with you at the dinner table, dishing out tall tales and meat.

AC01B5CD-69C8-4464-996E-A8E77DD43CF5.jpeg

A buddy's wife killed a really nice black bear a couple of years back with one of these in 44 mag. The bear was a little over 200 pounds and she took it cleanly with one shot at 90 yards. He made some really good meatloaf and had me over for dinner after helping him pack out her bear. She was using that Hornady Leverlution ammo with the rubber tip.

A buddy's wife killed a really nice black bear a couple of years back with one of these in 44 mag. The bear was a little over 200 pounds and she took it cleanly with one shot at 90 yards. He made some really good meatloaf and had me over for dinner after helping him pack out her bear. She was using that Hornady Leverlution ammo with the rubber tip.

Glad to hear that. We're having a stand of timber thinned, and finding that a lot of beasts are living in - or passing through - there. Deer, cougar, black bear, and elk.

Hadn't thought of bear meatloaf. I'll have to try that.

I shot a deer with mine at 165 yards with a 300gr XTP ,held about a ft over it's back dropped it in it's tracks with a high shoulder hit.

44 Magnum is a wonderful effective caliber. If you study the old buffalo cartridges, many have less power than the 44. The only limits on its ability would be range. I would not be afraid to use it on any game within the range limitations. Modern loadings can equal many old 45-70 loads in energy and they were considered "big medicine" in there day. Over 1600 ft lbs of energy is common and best used in a rifle. It drops off pretty quickley with the broad headed bullet but within 100 yards it is certainly effective on anything you would encounter. It is the most common caliber carried as a defense round by fishermen in brown bear country for a reason. It is effective.

Not a darn thing but have killed elk, deer, hog, and plenty of smaller stuff with a 4" M-29. Pretty much a rifle if you can shoot. pretty handy

I'm buying a Marlin .44 mag, and would like to hear (true) stories of the biggest beast you've killed with one of these rifles.

Not really interested in a ballistics discussion; just blood-soaked adventures that end with you at the dinner table, dishing out tall tales and meat.

View attachment 394578

I've looked at those as well, though I've been a little concerned about the 1:38 twist rate. Seems there is some discussion about what the max weight of the bullet should be and velocity to overcome the slow twist rate for accuracy. Please let us know how you like it. :s0155:

Back in the early 90's I dropped a mulie doe in Montana, that the warden at the game check station said was the biggest doe they had recorded in 25 years. She was YUGE. 44 mag out of a carbine does just fine at 100 yards or so.

I dropped a nice black bear in 92 with a Ruger Superblackhawk (still pains me that I sold it). One shot through both shoulders at about 40 yards. If a hog leg can dump a 250lb bear in a pile, a lever gun will most definitely.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was a WA resident at a gun show outside of Salem, OR. Bought that revolver with a handshake and an out of state check for $200. Those were the days.

I shot the rifle for the first time today, and really like it. Not much recoil at all with Winchester White Box 240 JSP's.

Also found a bear track this afternoon. Wish me luck.

I shot the rifle for the first time today, and really like it. Not much recoil at all with Winchester White Box 240 JSP's.

Mine seem to like 240 gr XTPs with H110, full boat magnum loads. The kick is somewhat brisk, but not sticky in the chamber. Me loves it much.

Well? Well? Any luck? I hope you had some. :s0155:

You do realize you're making it very difficult for me to not pick one if these up, right? I've been mulling a .44 mag lever action for a long time, then you go and get one, on top of that ...... you like it. I might just yield to peer pressure on this one.

In some states I have lived in 44mag was the minimum pistol caliber for big game hunting. It makes everything else.......except some newer super magnums.........look silly, but remember common rifle calibers we generally consider rather weak (like a 30-30) are still more powerful than the 44. So the recoil in a rifle is mild and off course, a well placed bullet is very effective.

The only thing holding me back is that I already have a 30-30, which will do everything I need. But having a rifle in the same caliber as some of my revolvers is very appealing. Mull, mull, mull ..... 20 years of this mulling stuff.

Well? Well? Any luck? I hope you had some. :s0155:

You do realize you're making it very difficult for me to not pick one if these up, right? I've been mulling a .44 mag lever action for a long time, then you go and get one, on top of that ...... you like it. I might just yield to peer pressure on this one.

It's one of my favorite rifles. You will never regret getting one. Trust me.:s0087:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top