JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen some recommendations on the Mini-30, that a bit of filing on the firing pin will allow it to strike deep enough in the berdan primers.

Mini-30s are $800+ rifles.
upload_2017-6-6_13-7-35.png

A stand-up company would post a MSRP.
And their product gets less than rave reviews.

My front-runners would be CZ527 (Mauser action) although the OP wants a semi-auto.
And maybe a Polish AK WBP or Arsenal SLR-107R (in a non-milled, best buy) although the OP wants "best".
In my book that would equate to a milled receiver (and higher cost).

Last Edited:
To answer a couple of other musings from the above posts

My thought is this is a "just in case" gun. Will live most of its life in the safe. Maybe I take it out to shoot critters - well if any hogs start running around Hillsboro ;-)

But with 5.56 covered,
and that the AK round might be available in the troubles, .
And a relatively inexpensive weapon, I could share with a neighbor/guest as that may be desirable,
But it has to be reliable - does no good to share a brick.

Semi Auto is easier to teach someone, but a bolt is not out of the question ...

And a closer to $500 price point may allow for 2, or for more ammo to be stocked.

Note when searching for Arsenal AK's -
Arsenal -vs- Arsenal Firearms -vs-

ArsenalINC
SA M-7 SF USA Made, Milled Receiver - Suggested retail $3500 SA M-7 SF SERIES - US made, 7.62, milled receiver
SLR 107R Plum - Suggested $879 SLR-107R - 7.62x39 caliber, stamped receiver, scope rail, Warsaw Pact length buttstock

SKS (gun broker used for comparison pricing)
Norinco SKS, Fair W/Scope! $349.99
1956 Chinese SKS / #`s matching "GHOST GUN" Rare $539.00
RUSSIAN TULA 1954 SKS NUMBER'S MATCHING $1,450.00

Norinco SKS-M 7.62x39 Uses AK 47 Magazines Exc Con $500.00

CZ (gun broker used for comparison pricing)
CZ 527 Carbine Bolt 7.62mmX39mm 18.5" New $627.01
Czech CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39 18.5" Brl 1 $569.99

The AK/SKS systems and accuracy have never been acquainted. I own several of each, reliability I will buy but anyone that thinks they are accurate is a hip shooter. I was so curious about the subject I had to buy a CZ bolt gun to see if it was the carteridge or the gun.......it was the gun. None of mine (6 different versions) will consistently shoot a sub 4 inch group at 100 yards. The CZ with the same ammo will consistently shoot cloverleaf one hole groups. For quality and accuracy I would like to try some of the late FN products. My SCAR 7.62 shoots as well as my M24 sniper rifle.

Last Edited:
I like my SKS. But I up graded it to a bullpup. Using SG works bullpup kit. Worked the bolt carrier so it can use mags. Open or closed. Still using duckbill mags. May someday do the mod for AK mags.;):rolleyes:

IMG_4452.JPG

Can't go wrong with a Yugoslavian SKS. Cheap, and you can get stripper clips off ebay and do some fitting. Plus with a dummy grenade and blanks you can have a lot of fun.

IMG_2545.JPG

Odd, mine was pretty accurate with decent ammo. Was yours an unissued one?
Yes......it depends on your definition of accurate. It is the best of my Kalesnikoff designed rifles, just not anything I would call accurate. Both my SCAR 17s and M24 shoot consistent sub 1/4 min groups. 3 30 cal bullets into .5 inches at 100 yards.

Yes......it depends on your definition of accurate. It is the best of my Kalesnikoff designed rifles, just not anything I would call accurate. Both my SCAR 17s and M24 shoot consistent sub 1/4 min groups. 3 30 cal bullets into .5 inches at 100 yards.
I see. For what it is, the Yugo SKS is pretty accurate. Only sub MOA rifles I've had were the ARs I had, but these days as long as it isn't bigger than 3 MOA its GTG as far as I'm concerned.

My Yugo has an upgraded stock with American dimensions (longer length of pull) a good bipod and 300.00 in trigger work. It is heavier than my SCAR as well. It pretty well relegated to a range rifle. It is like trying to carry a 36" piece off rail road track. I do like the 7.62X39 caliber a lot, just difficult to find a rifle to take advantage of it.

Last Edited:
I see. For what it is, the Yugo SKS is pretty accurate. Only sub MOA rifles I've had were the ARs I had, but these days as long as it isn't bigger than 3 MOA its GTG as far as I'm concerned.
That is what I mean about definition......battlefield accuracy is as someone earlier said......minute of a can...... my Colt AR's shoot quarter size groups or better at 100 yards but require maintenance in the field to operate reliably unlike the AK's.

I guess it all depends what you want it for. If a Semi auto in a shtf weapon with utter reliability is the aim, then an arsenal ak would be the one I would go with. If a general purpose plinking/hunting rifle that shoots cheap Steel cased ammo is the aim then an AR upper will work fine if you spec it correctly. Here is a link to my AR upper build which has turned out to be quite reliable and very accurate. 7.62x39 AR build

I have about 600rds down range now and other than mag brand related issues I had in the first 100 rds, I have not had a single malf since.
I am interested in your AR 7.62 build.....I just bought a new lower that needs a top end. Have been considering a Colt 7.62X39 carbine. Should be accurate?

I am interested in your AR 7.62 build.....I just bought a new lower that needs a top end. Have been considering a Colt 7.62X39 carbine. Should be accurate?

I just built another upper with the same barrel so it will be interesting to see if it turns out to be as accurate and reliable. I will post the results when I get the opportunity to shoot it.

I have owned them all (many times over) and all have a place. But my happy place is a POF piston upper in the commie caliber. It shoots Tula SP 1.25" and sub-minute US ammo. I love it. Never missed a beat in hundreds of rounds. AR 7.62 mags are reliable these days. I use it on Blacktail and pigs in HI. There is a real satisfying feeling when 123 grains goes off in an AR. My buddy coveted mine and we just found out they are discontinued at POF (they say did not sell) but he found one on the net around $800. I paid $1039.

I had a Yugo, but wanted the AR platform. I carefully selected all the parts and still had problems with reliability. I googeled "making an ar47 reliable and hit a gold mine of info. # 1 is to take a dermal and grind down the separator on the feed ramp, it is for 5.56 ammo, even on a 7.62 barrel! That solves most problems. Then the firing pin needs to be .0007" longer for the harder Russian primers ( you can buy these on line). There are other things you can do ( I forgot what all I did), but when this puppy is done it is quite accurate and a ton of fun to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top