JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Forgive me if there is a thread on this topic already, but I am looking for the best optics for astigmatism, for my carbine length ARs and a glock 19. All my entry level red dots look like a starburst to me, and I have them for sale so I can purchase something better.

went with a fixed 3x prism on my "game gun", works well....have a holosun 503 on my other AR, one of the few dots that didnt "star bust"..thinking the "circle-dot" reticle helps.
If I was to do another, 1x prism would be first choice

For a pistol get a 2moa dot and just pretend it's a 6moa dot ;)

Or just embrace the suck and go with the 2 moa dot because it's better even with perfect eyes and learn where your POA is on the blob. I'm in the same boat as you and was shocked at how much better I could hit Vs irons with or without my glasses.

I chose the Leupold "Freedom RDS" because of its 1 MOA dot. I have an astigmatism in one eye...always wear corrective vision glasses...and I do notice a bit of flaring but the small dot size with the brightness dimmed minimizes it. Probably not a first choice size wise for a handgun...but they work very well on my SBR's.

I have a Holosun 507c-GR X2 on my G40 10mm, I just turn down the brightness and look at the bigger dot as with my eyes, it flares out...

Last Edited:
Prisms with etched reticles and Holosun dot circles are the way to go. Most people can use a red dot with astigmatism, but it becomes 3 dots if a magnifier is used. The Holosun circle dot is the only red dot I have used that can handle a magnifier without diffraction.

Also struggling with both astigmatism and cataracts, I've found no optics that work, just some that work better. I've found wearing the correct lenses is my biggest relief when looking thru a scope or red dot.

Using a Red Dot, I see a squiggly worm instead of a clean dot. The glasses don't fix it completely, but it's worse without glasses.

A scope is a different story. There is not enough focus in the eyepiece to make things clear, or to make a double reticle look like a single reticle, but using a scope with an adjustable objective cleans things up somewhat. I know that's not the purpose of an adjustable objective, but it does help me.

The Holosun 507C-GR-X2 green dot circle-dot has helped me the most. The circle-dot or just the circle provides a much better frame of reference than just a dot. And green definitely provides better contrast than red.

I know this is an old post but I ran into it because I was having the same issues when I first got into electro-optics. And wanted to see if somone had found other optics that work great. What I found besides going to holographic optics is that optic with a larger "window" as well as optics with a circle dot recticle seem to Starburst less for me. I've had good luck with holosun 510s and 512s, my buddy has a 515 thats not bad even though it has a smaller body. I also have had a few sig romeo 4s that were OK. Currently a 4s and I've also got a romeo 8 on my home defense gun. With smaller red dots I've notices there seems to be a glare and the red bounces off the inside body and you get a red ring around the window when you turn them up thats not as noticeable with the larger window optics when you turn up the brightness. One of my favorite dots that was fairly affordable was the 512 but unfortunately it seems to have been discountinued. I'm not sure about everyone else but with me personally the diffrent colors made it worse.

Forgive me if there is a thread on this topic already, but I am looking for the best optics for astigmatism, for my carbine length ARs and a glock 19. All my entry level red dots look like a starburst to me, and I have them for sale so I can purchase something better.
I too have astigmatism. The optics on my pistols are just a starburst blur if I wear my glasses. I switched back to iron sights and now prefer them.
I seem to do better with holographic sights on my AR's.

Has anyone brought a red dot to the eye doctor to use when they are checking your vision? I dont know if it works but that was my plan nexts time i go to see if they can help dial in a correction that works with a dot. Im sure ill get some raised eyebrows from the dr but if its just a dot and i give a sob story maybe they will help?

Has anyone brought a red dot to the eye doctor to use when they are checking your vision? I dont know if it works but that was my plan nexts time i go to see if they can help dial in a correction that works with a dot. Im sure ill get some raised eyebrows from the dr but if its just a dot and i give a sob story maybe they will help?
People on the forum have mentioned doing that.

I feel your pain buddy, my astigmatism was corrected via LASIK last spring and I could finally see the dot as a crisp dot rather than a starbursty-blur.

Prism optics are really going to be your best bet. Holographic Weapon Sights (EOTech and the Vortex "Huey" being two) are sometimes better than dots, but even with HWS I had some streaking. Not quite as bad as with the dots, though. Holosun optics are a coin toss... I've seen some that were usable (green seems to do better than red), and some that were just as starburst-y as other dots.

Anything non-electronic and etched on the glass (i.e. standard / variable scopes, plus anything prism) should work fine, however. Unfortunately prism optics are too bulky to use on a pistol-sized sight.

Starbursting of a red dot doesn't matter... put the starburst on target and you'll hit it. Heck, you won't notice its irregularity during use after a while (and as you should know, you don't focus on the dot you focus on the target).

And IME, dots become less distorted when magnified. I have astigmatism and severe nearsightedness, I don't really care if a simple dot is a bit blurry since it cleans up nicely with a magnifier.

Starbursting of a red dot doesn't matter... put the starburst on target and you'll hit it. Heck, you won't notice its irregularity during use after a while (and as you should know, you don't focus on the dot you focus on the target).

And IME, dots become less distorted when magnified. I have astigmatism and severe nearsightedness, I don't really care if a simple dot is a bit blurry since it cleans up nicely with a magnifier.
It matters if the starburst is so big or distorted that you can't see the target clearly, or if you're trying to make precision shots.

1712789156862.png

It matters if the starburst is so big or distorted that you can't see the target clearly, or if you're trying to make precision shots.
A small smeared dot is unlikely to obstruct a target at realistic non-magnified red dot ranges. And as I said, most folks find that the dot will sharpen when magnified. A smeared dot is no more obstructive to a target than a wide front sight post, and can be dimmed to allow translucency/visual aid.

Another member stated that magnifiers make the dot worse... I find that hard to believe since there's diopter adjustment on magnifiers. It's possible that their dots just didn't play nicely with the magnifier (I've experienced the issue with a Mepro RDS Pro and Juliet 4).

I run dots on most of my modern handguns and have piggybacked RMR and magnified dots. I also have cross dominance, astigmatism, nearsightedness, oscillopsia, and floaters yet I have no issue with blurry dots and obtaining qualifying scores. YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top