JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Without wading thru all the posts (yet), my suggestion is to shop for a used weapon- Chinese or a Mitchell Arms Yugoslav, or a Polish Tantal.. The Mitchell pre-ban rifles made by Zastava to high standards and mine is easily the most accurate AK Ive owned. I know a couple of other guys who say the same thing. The receivers are stamped of 1.6 mm sheet, as opposed to most others being 1mm sheet. If you can find one with the scope so much the better. The Yugos (none of them) have chromed bores, a failing some claim accounts for their accuracy but contributes to faster bore erosion. The Yugos I speak of are NOT the current Century N-Paps, C-Paps, Pappilappa Paps made from parts kits. The Mitchells were imported before the BAN.. Again, shop a bit and you might find yourself rewarded.
The Chinese AKs are well thought of by owners both here and abroad. Generally well-made, chromed chambers and bores, very few complaints about them have crossed MY desk... Again, the receiver is stamped from 1.5mm sheet. The thicker sheet means less flexing of the receiver when fired- better accuracy and less wear and tear.
There are some good Polish AKs in country too, and some pre-ban Bulgarians.. The Romanians WASR, not spoken of as consistently good product, lots of complaints about offset or tilted sights, among other issues...
You have been advised and wisely so IMO, to stay away from ARs in 7.62X39 COMBLOC. They have been bad ju-ju and getting good mags for good prices can be problematic. The same in spades for the Ruger Mini in COMBLOC. (I am NOT referring to the AR15 in the 5.56X45!) Just sayin.
FWIW when SKS rifles were readily available for a C-note more or less quite a few of them got stashed in trunks and behind doors. Shooting the same ammo as the AK, the longer barrel made for a bit higher velocity a longer sight radius- which combined with the solid receiver made for better accuracy. Good rifle to have around the place if a ten-round en bloc magazine works for you. Stripper clips make for easier faster loading if you can find them and the Chinese chest pouches will carry 200 strippered rounds.
Not perhaps the answer you were looking for, but someone else reading the thread may find it interesting. A distillation of over 30 years of shooting these kinds of weapons. Some are driven by nightmares that others do not have. YMMV!

Last Edited:
Wow yea lots of mini 30 haters on here... Not quite sure why. The original ones with the aftermarket junk mags were prone to feeding issues but with the factory mags I have never had a problem. As for the steel ammo thing I just buy ppu brass ammo for 8-10 a box of 20. I never understood the new 300 aac blackout kick. I can get new brass 7.62x39 ammo cheaper by far and its usually hotter. I also have a sks to chew up the steel stuff but the new mini is a better platform all around. Don't get me wrong I love my sks and prefer it to almost any AK under 1000 bucks but its just a bit big and clunky compared to an ak or mini. I think if you want a nice rifle in the 7.62x39 under 500 get a sks, under 1k a mini 30, over 1k prob Galil? Arsenal?? So many options for people with the money to spend. I didn't mention the AR platform since I have no experience with them but sounds like they are getting the bugs worked out anyhow.

Wow yea lots of mini 30 haters on here... Not quite sure why. The original ones with the aftermarket junk mags were prone to feeding issues but with the factory mags I have never had a problem. As for the steel ammo thing I just buy ppu brass ammo for 8-10 a box of 20. I never understood the new 300 aac blackout kick. I can get new brass 7.62x39 ammo cheaper by far and its usually hotter. I also have a sks to chew up the steel stuff but the new mini is a better platform all around. Don't get me wrong I love my sks and prefer it to almost any AK under 1000 bucks but its just a bit big and clunky compared to an ak or mini. I think if you want a nice rifle in the 7.62x39 under 500 get a sks, under 1k a mini 30, over 1k prob Galil? Arsenal?? So many options for people with the money to spend. I didn't mention the AR platform since I have no experience with them but sounds like they are getting the bugs worked out anyhow.
I totally agree with your comment about the 300 blackout. A friend of my brother is really into it.......I asked him why? You can do the same thing and more with the 7.62X39. He had no answer. Just a ridiculous fad that someone invented to make money on. The magazines and writers are willing accomplices to take cash out of your pocket just like they are with most new and improved firearms.

I totally agree with your comment about the 300 blackout. A friend of my brother is really into it.......I asked him why? You can do the same thing and more with the 7.62X39. He had no answer. Just a ridiculous fad that someone invented to make money on. The magazines and writers are willing accomplices to take cash out of your pocket just like they are with most new and improved firearms.
The "why" depends on the rifle. ARs in .300 Blk require less effort than ARs in 7.62x39. The magazines overall would be better. For anything else? Its pretty much a waste.

Many calibers really don't make sense unless you are a reloader. The plethora of bullets available in .30 gives the 300 blk a distinct advantage over the 7.62x39 for the reloader. Doesn't mean I am hating on the 7.62x39 I have a couple in that cal as well. Variety is what makes the world go round. Face it, need went out the window a long time ago with this hobby. I want one of everything ;)

Many calibers really don't make sense unless you are a reloader. The plethora of bullets available in .30 gives the 300 blk a distinct advantage over the 7.62x39 for the reloader. Doesn't mean I am hating on the 7.62x39 I have a couple in that cal as well. Variety is what makes the world go round. Face it, need went out the window a long time ago with this hobby. I want one of everything ;)
Its not a hobby if its a need. Its a hobby based on a need. :rolleyes:

Its not a hobby if its a need. Its a hobby based on a need. :rolleyes:
There is a wide variance between Russian bore diameters. We have slugged many and common .30 cal bullets work just fine in many if not all. I am sure on the outer edge there are barrels that don't tolerate the miniscually smaller bullets but I have not encountered one. I would not try until a barrel slug was done but it is like the argument about 7.62X51 and .308. In all the guns of that caliber I own......I have never encountered one that wouldn't shoot the two specifications interchangeably.

There is a wide variance between Russian bore diameters. We have slugged many and common .30 cal bullets work just fine in many if not all. I am sure on the outer edge there are barrels that don't tolerate the miniscually smaller bullets but I have not encountered one. I would not try until a barrel slug was done but it is like the argument about 7.62X51 and .308. In all the guns of that caliber I own......I have never encountered one that wouldn't shoot the two specifications interchangeably.
:confused: I was kinda siding with 7.62x39 for the most part... I think.

Thanks for the article very informative. Wolf military classic shoots 1 moa or better in my Ar build so I haven't been inclined to reload for it yet but I am sure I will get around to it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top