JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If there is /are threads on this already, link me to them, but I didnt' see one.

The next caliber for my stash is the most common on the planet - 7.62 x 39. It adds to what I have.
Yep that caliber only, I have the others I am interested in at this time.

Best of course is subjective
- reliable is the most important part of this as far as I am concerned
- Costs - a $10k rifle may be the best, but it would not be obtainable - same for super custom
- available
- I am looking for semi-auto (not full auto, nor bolt)
- kind of rifle that you have in the safe just 'cause and one you can share as needed in SHTF

Some info I have stumbled over - (not sure how definitive this is)
1 - Ruger Mini-30. Older versions didn't do well with hard primers. A bit of fiddling / spring replacement seems to fix this. Current ones?
2 - 7.62x39 AR uppers, haven't had a glowing following. Not clear to me why that is
3 - AK's - I am not going to get an machine gun license - are there semi-auto AK Clones?
4 - SKS
others?

Thoughts / suggestions?

There are plenty of akm clones in semi :)

I'd personally stay away from a mini 30 or ar in 7.62x39.

Arsenal SGL OR SLR are good choices, or a plethora of other choices that are available.

Real AK's.... Like it hot and dirty :D

Your kidding right? An arsenal semi auto ak47 type rifle is going to be the most reliable platform available.

Last Edited:
Just to be clear my statement was meant to convey that of the readily available semi auto rifles available in this caliber, the aresenal ak's are the clear choice in my mind. That being said I was looking for a bit more accuracy and built a very reliable ar upper that is also very accurate. I would never compare its reliability to an arsenal ak though.

Just to be clear my statement was meant to convey that of the readily available semi auto rifles available in this caliber, the aresenal ak's are the clear choice in my mind. That being said I was looking for a bit more accuracy and built a very reliable ar upper that is also very accurate. I would never compare its reliability to an arsenal ak though.

Lol, that makes more sense :D

Can't go wrong with an arsenal.

The Sig 556R gen2 is a solid performer also if you want a hybrid.

The AK/SKS were designed from the ground up to use 7.62x39. They are simple, rugged, and accurate in the right hands.

I've owned several different variants of each. I run iron sights on these and they are a lot of fun. Plus they are (relatively) still inexpensive.

I would stay away from Mini-30 or AR's chambered in 7.62x39.

Two great choices - AK (clone) and SKS - both perform with the 7.62x39 very well. If you need a removable magazine, AK is best. SKS can have a removable magazine, but I wouldn't consider it ideal. Either way, both are great guns.

1) VZ 58
2) Arsenal milled receiver

This is a 5.45 but that furniture looks nice...
outdoorhub-the-best-aks-under-1000-2015-10-20_19-46-09-800x507.jpg

No complaints about my 7.62x39 AR. Most of the common problems with magazines on the market
have been worked out.

Never a problem with US primers in hand loads. Some times a bad primer in Wolf.:eek:

It's my semi-auto 30-30.:rolleyes:

All I have left is my old Chinese SKS! It is everything one could want in a semi auto rifle. Accurate, super reliable! 'Course so are AK's, I just don't have any anymore! :)

Sub $500 go sks with all original furniture and some stripper clips, thats one badarse setup.
$7-800 can buy an arsenal slr 95 with a milled receiver that are top notch.
1k plus you better get yourself a galil.

If there is /are threads on this already, link me to them, but I didnt' see one.

The next caliber for my stash is the most common on the planet - 7.62 x 39. It adds to what I have.
Yep that caliber only, I have the others I am interested in at this time.

Best of course is subjective
- reliable is the most important part of this as far as I am concerned
- Costs - a $10k rifle may be the best, but it would not be obtainable - same for super custom
- available
- I am looking for semi-auto (not full auto, nor bolt)
- kind of rifle that you have in the safe just 'cause and one you can share as needed in SHTF

Some info I have stumbled over - (not sure how definitive this is)
1 - Ruger Mini-30. Older versions didn't do well with hard primers. A bit of fiddling / spring replacement seems to fix this. Current ones?
2 - 7.62x39 AR uppers, haven't had a glowing following. Not clear to me why that is
3 - AK's - I am not going to get an machine gun license - are there semi-auto AK Clones?
4 - SKS
others?

Thoughts / suggestions?

LOT's and LOT's of AK semi to choose from. If you want reliable this is the way to go. This design was made for that, to work no matter what. If you want a 7.62x39 for fun and SHTF this will do that. For the cost of the Mini 30's floating around you can get a great AK. SKS's are not nearly as cheap as they were for a long time but are still easy to be had if you want to save a few bucks.

I have an aftermarket 30rnd duckbill mag fitted to mine (SKS). Key word is fitted! I use it as a fixed magazine, and feed it with stripper clips. Rarely remove it, and its reliable as can be, even operates the bolt stop, I've had it on there about 15yrs now!
Oh yeah, it holds and feeds 37rnds! :D

I have an aftermarket 30rnd duckbill mag fitted to mine (SKS). Key word is fitted! I use it as a fixed magazine, and feed it with stripper clips. Rarely remove it, and its reliable as can be, even operates the bolt stop, I've had it on there about 15yrs now!
Oh yeah, it holds and feeds 37rnds! :D

I had removable mags on my SKS for a while - your're right, each one had to be hand fit in order to work properly, but when fit properly, they ran 100%. I'm back to the stock box mag now, just a preference.

I, without reading the previous posts mind you, would go with SKS or AK. Screw the AR upper and the mini 30.....just my 2 cents. NOW Ill go back and see what everyone else said.....;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top