JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an aftermarket 30rnd duckbill mag fitted to mine (SKS). Key word is fitted! I use it as a fixed magazine, and feed it with stripper clips. Rarely remove it, and its reliable as can be, even operates the bolt stop, I've had it on there about 15yrs now!
Oh yeah, it holds and feeds 37rnds! :D
"Oh yeah, it holds and feeds 37rnds!" I know what you have. A friend and I each bought one of those, and they do work great.

Or.....You could go polish :D

909439.jpg

30 posts in ...

I am hearing just say no to Remington.
AR upper could work but $/$ there are other better choices.

I shot my buddies CZ .22
Looks a lot like this one 527
16z_CZ527CarbineRustic.png

And I know even Cooper advocated bolt action for his "Scout" carbine (rifle.)

I'm partial to the SKS myself. Had a Yugo that I picked up in the early 2000s when they were dirt cheap. Cleaning the cosmoline off was a nightmare, but it was a pretty sweet shooter once that was done.

My uncle had an original Russian SKS from 1953 (same year he was born), manufactured at the Izhevsk Arsenal if I recall correctly. That one was real nice. He also had a later one (can't remember where from), that his friend convinced him to put a Fiberforce stock on. IMHO it kind of ruined the gun, thankfully it didn't stay on for too long.

I guess it all depends what you want it for. If a Semi auto in a shtf weapon with utter reliability is the aim, then an arsenal ak would be the one I would go with. If a general purpose plinking/hunting rifle that shoots cheap Steel cased ammo is the aim then an AR upper will work fine if you spec it correctly. Here is a link to my AR upper build which has turned out to be quite reliable and very accurate. 7.62x39 AR build

I have about 600rds down range now and other than mag brand related issues I had in the first 100 rds, I have not had a single malf since.

If ya wanna shoot quality boxer-primed ammo, then the Mini 30 is my choice. If ya want to shoot berdan-primed commie ammo, then you've gotta look elsewhere.

I've owned three recent-manufacture Mini's. The first one would shoot any and all commie ammo. The next ones had problems. They'd shoot boxer primed ammo all day long with 100% success, but not berdan primed. And it's not necessarily how hard the primer is struck, but how deeply it is struck. A stronger mainspring helps some, but not completely. So unless your Mini has enough firing pin protrusion for commie ammo, and you're not looking to shoot quality (more expensive) boxer primed ammo, then An AK variant is the best choice.

I sold my last Mini 30 to a local feller that bought it specifically to see what needed to be done to make the rifle dependable with commie bloc ammo. He installed a heavier spring, and it helped some, but not completely.

You can read his results here... It's a good video.

I guess I should have given my Mini 30 a chance, I could not get it to feed reliably no matter what ammo I used, brass or steel. I sold that baby off quick,(with full disclosure, off course). My mini 14, on the other hand will be with me forever. Sorry, back to the subject, I love my WASR 10, reliable, accurate, and eats anything you want to feed it.

No mention of the Mutant?

I want one badly, got to shoot it too. Performed flawlessly, and was a blast to shoot.

I'd take a look at Inter Ordnance specifically their AKM247. Based upon the Polish Warsaw Pact design. 100% US made with new milled parts. Nice rifle. I own...three of them in fact.

Go with the Russian made SKS. Simple, accurate, reliable. I have one that was made in 1951. It is a very accurate rifle, behind the ear head shots on Javelina at an honest 100 yards. Recoil is minimal, ammo is plentiful. Price is affordable. Fun to shoot.

Go with the SKS - but get a Russian built one.

JErry

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads