JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would you say is your best tip for EDC? Perhaps something you wish you had known sooner, or something you learned the hardway.

1. People do not notice, they are not staring at you.

2. Tools may have to goto the 'off-hand' side. If you can only dial your phone with the right hand, shouldn't your knife be accessible to the left. Plus, practice using your non-dominate hand.

If you carry a gun carry your wallet on your weak hand side. Don't have the wallet anywhere near your gun so it won't accidentally reveal your gun, and if you are stopped by the po po you are less likely to get shot by a cop thinking you are going for your gun.

Keep lethal and non lethal tools available to both hands if you can. Never know what situation you may find yourself in. Years back a friend was in a roll over crash and was trapped by his seat belt, while the car rested on its passenger doors, and couldn't get to his knife. Had to wait for the hose jockeys to show up and cut him out.

For me, I would say be sure you're not constantly 'checking' your gun. When I first started to carry, I probably looked like I had problem - my hand was constantly going to my side to make sure nothing had shifted, the gun wasn't slipping out of the holster, I wasn't printing, etc. I was even looking down at my side to see if I was printing. I was drawing attention to the gun when there was no need to. Finally broke myself of that habit after a while.

My suggestion is, if you're not comfortable enough with your holster that you feel the need to check it all the time, get a different holster, or wear it around the house until you can cure yourself of that issue.

And +1 to what @RicInOR said - people are not watching, they are not staring. I've never been 'made', at least that I'm aware of. People are oblivious, they really are.

Oh, BTW, I heard just this weekend that 'fanny packs' are coming back into style again. So those of you so inclined may just be able to carry like that again. Sorry to say I won't be joining you o_O But, if you absolutely MUST have a fanny pack to carry your gun, may I suggest the 'Man Sack' - available for about $13 on Amazon. Looks like plenty of room for all your...junk:

91oiuHj6oaL._SX425_.jpg

It's a Tactical Satchel!!!

Get one. And carry a heavier gun with ease. Plus I can have a multi tool and other heavier items I would normally go without if it were just my belt and pockets to put things on/in.

Aware of what's what
Eyes see eyes.
Sheepdog eyes
Wolf eyes
Wolf eyes stare then skitter off
Sheepdog eyes evaluate then their mouth smiles back to you
Sheep focus on the ground looking for wolf poop and bargains
Sheep glance up a moment at a time, embarassed

If you aren't looking, you might be ambushed

It took me a bit to get over the paranoia phase as I call it.

Now I'm stuck in the unaware phase. I find myself no longer choosing the table in the back. Or placing myself in a situationally aware spot. I stopped doing that a while ago and it likely will get me in a pinch, but I just didn't see the point.

The Internet has taught concealed gun owners they need to live a secret underground lifestyle of ninja like skills. When in reality you really can't prevent all evil, having a gun just steps up the odds a little in your favor.

Sure, if you want to be the tactical ninja of every mall, Starbucks, and shopping outlet be my guest. In my opinion carrying concealed should not become you, if anything it should be a readily available tool that you have worked closely with to use if anything truly bad happens.

*yeah nobodys looking for it but yes your shirt can snag your gun when you get out of the car... check it then
*practice using a urinal at home (if your a dude.... or a creatve gal...)
*dont use a holster that doesnt completle cover the trigger guard
*dont use a holster that doesnt retain the gun upside down (wearing it or not)
*dont buy a holster you cant re-holster one handed.
*learn to carry and access assesories ( cell phone, wallet, keys, etc.) with your weak hand....

If you carry a gun carry your wallet on your weak hand side. Don't have the wallet anywhere near your gun so it won't accidentally reveal your gun, and if you are stopped by the po po you are less likely to get shot by a cop thinking you are going for your gun.

Keep lethal and non lethal tools available to both hands if you can. Never know what situation you may find yourself in. Years back a friend was in a roll over crash and was trapped by his seat belt, while the car rested on its passenger doors, and couldn't get to his knife. Had to wait for the hose jockeys to show up and cut him out.
If you are stopped by the po po as you call them I would suggest to not make any movement towards your wallet until the Officer asks to see your drivers' license. This way he is ready for your movement and should not react adversely. Just a hint, you can take it or leave it.

If you are stopped by the po po as you call them I would suggest to not make any movement towards your wallet until the Officer asks to see your drivers' license. This way he is ready for your movement and should not react adversely. Just a hint, you can take it or leave it.

For sure - but if you wallet is in your right pocket (assuming right handed) and your gun is on your right hip, it could get real bad real quick if your hand or arm brushes your cover garment back and you haven't verbally ID'd yourself as a chl holder.

Theres another tip - if you are stopped and asked for ID, kindly inform the officer if you have a chl so he or she doesn't assume you are trying to kill him.

If stopped while driving have your chl with your dl and registration.

Don't simply blurt out "i have a gun" - use a better, less scarey term to inform the officer if you are armed.

For sure - but if you wallet is in your right pocket (assuming right handed) and your gun is on your right hip, it could get real bad real quick if your hand or arm brushes your cover garment back and you haven't verbally ID'd yourself as a chl holder.

Theres another tip - if you are stopped and asked for ID, kindly inform the officer if you have a chl so he or she doesn't assume you are trying to kill him.

If stopped while driving have your chl with your dl and registration.

Don't simply blurt out "i have a gun" - use a better, less scarey term to inform the officer if you are armed.

I've never informed an officer I was armed or had a ccl when stopped as it was not pertenant and I didn't need to put my hands near my gun.

If I were asked point blank or asked to exit the vehicle then I would mention it then if it was on my belt or I had others in the car without carry permits.

Do what makes you feel comfortable but if I don't have to spend any more time then I have to, I don't want to deal with a cop taking the time to verify the gun is registered to me or anything else that will take more time.

I've never informed an officer I was armed or had a ccl when stopped as it was not pertenant and I didn't need to put my hands near my gun.

If I were asked point blank or asked to exit the vehicle then I would mention it then if it was on my belt or I had others in the car without carry permits.

Do what makes you feel comfortable but if I don't have to spend any more time then I have to, I don't want to deal with a cop taking the time to verify the gun is registered to me or anything else that will take more time.

If you live in Oregon or Washington when they run your name it comes back if you have a chl - I found if you are up front about being armed the cop is usually "nicer" and less inclined to write tickets. Not telling them you are armed, and they find out anyway raises their suspicions and may cause them to extend their contact or be more inclined to write a cite or take other enforcement action. My goal, like yours is making the contact as fast and painless as possible. Fwiw - I have never had a cop disarm me or ask to run my firearms serial numbers.

Until your completely comfortable carrying, you will have tells.
Either protecting one side, or a tell tale sign i'm still victim to it tugging at my shirt on my carry side. Most times I don't even realize I'm doing it.

+1 on descalation skills, and situational awareness.

A good heavy belt. Like one from The Beltman. Will help distribute weight and stabilize the holster/gun.

If you guys have a bad back like me. It really helps.;)

They cost a lot initially. But last for decades. And in that time your well supported.
I wish I had gotten one sooner. Before I did. I could only carry a 16oz gun without pain.

A wimpy belt that lets the holster sag. Makes for a painful hot spot! :s0002:

Just something to think about--I carry Glocks in an inside the pocket holster. I can't get comfortable with the idea of carrying chambered. But the only time I came close to having to draw, the fact that it wasn't chambered & how that may not play out well, was a quite worrisome thought running through my mind. I'm afraid it would have been one of those deals that it would have only taken a second to chamber when nanoseconds mattered.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top