JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was lucky enough to have purchased a pre-64 Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special that had belonged to my Grandpa. A few years ago I was very proud to be able to give that Gun to a Second Cousin who used it to take his First Deer. Now he's a proud Papa and I know he'll be giving the same Gun to his son some day.

Giving is Good!!!:):):)

I usually just lurk around here, but I have to comment on this one. About 15 years ago, our local hardware store (which has a gun counter) advertised Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 2 rifles for $80.00. The one (yes, one!) that I bought is absolutely beautiful! Oh, I do kick myself for not buying 20 or so...

Griff
Welcome Griff. That's a heck of a deal.
Not sure why your story reminded me of this, but when I was teenager I had the chance to pick up a new 870.
20 ga., 26" barrel, modified choke (fixed. No such thing as screw-in's back then).
$149, out-the-door. No sales tax.

Came that close to getting it, but at the last minute I suddenly fell in love with SxS's....and that's how I got my Stevens 511.
So, maybe not my screamin'est deal, but it coulda been.

Dean

IF memory serves me correctly, the Savage 511 could be had with a set of Rifle Barrels. Additionally, if I'm remembering correctly, the caliber was .308 and maybe .45-70. Always wanted one of each!!!

It was kind of a weird trade. Back after Sandyhook, I was in the process of finding a gun I was comfortable carrying and accurate shooting. At the time I had a Springfield XDs in 45, and I wasn't that thrilled with it, I wasn't very accurate with it. Well got a call from the local gun store asking if I still had it as there was somebody there looking for one and REALLY wanting one. I brought it down, placed it on the counter and the guy picked it up, asked for the round count, handled it a bit more and proceded to offer me $900 for it.

I ended up taking that offer, I'm guessing he REAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYY wanted it and they had a used Sig UltraCompact 1911 on sale for $899, talked them down to $890 for that and I've been carrying that ever since.

Alright, time for some honesty. About 7 years ago, I bought a real nice 1951 pre 64 model 70 std wt. 30-06 for the grand sum of $650.00. The story doesn't stop there. The stock was very nice and all original, so I set it off to the side and looked for another "shooter" stock. My smith had a real nice one and he cut me a deal for $100.00. I wanted this stock so I could pillar/glass bed the rifle to get the utmost accuracy from the rifle. Those that know my work, know what I'm talking about. I kept the original stock in a cardboard box, thinking I'd never use it again. So I came to the decision to sell it on ebay. I ended up selling it for $360.00. I also sold the lyman apperature sight that came with the rifle. I ended up getting $120.00 for that. I also thought, why do I need that old buckhorn 22G/3C rear sight when I can just buy an original flip up for $25.00???? I sold the 22G/3C set for another $120.00. It also came with an old redfield (made in denver) 3-9x40 in terrific original condition. I sold that on ebay for $180.00... Lets add this up and see what I actually had in this rifle when all was said and done...:

$650.00
+100
+25
Total: -$5.00.. Meaning I still had the rifle in a beautiful stock that was pillar/glass bedded and shot like a house afire plus I had $5.00 extra in my wallet :D . Pretty much a FREE rifle!!!.... I also had a member of another forum begging me to sell this rifle to him. He said he'd give me $1,000.00 for it. He keeps it right next to the rifle he bought from Roger Rule. One of Roger's favorite 270 winchesters in fact. That's about the best deal I've ever gotten on a firearm.

Last Edited:
Recent one was at Cabelas ......of all places. I have nevef bought a gun there before, and much of their stuff is a little overpriced but it is fun to go in a browse. So, I went in one day and looked on the used rifle racks for anything decent. There was a Mossberg 835 for $200 sitting there with its 24" barrel, Fibre Optic sights, synthetic stock, and camo finish....just waiting for a new home. Looked practically new, no rust or scratches, and the action bars were void and rub marks from cycling the action. Ahh, the turkey buster model, I said to myself. Do I need one? Well, a new barrel would cost that much to retrofit onto my other 835 is what I reasoned. So now I have 2 835's!
Great shotguns that run forever and have never given me any troubles.

back in 92' one of my soldiers who knew I was into guns asked if I wanted an old rifle that belonged to a an elderly woman who was going to turn it into the seattle PD. I said sure and I was given a K98 AR42 marked ZF-41 rifle minus the optics. she couldn't find the optic though remembers seeing it.

A mint-bore Schmidt-Rubin K11, sling and muzzle cap and 200 rounds of GP11 for $89.95.

The week previously I'd bought a mint-bore K31, sling and muzzle cap for $79.95.

Back in 1989.

However, THIS true left-handed action and stocked BSA International MkII .22 Martini target rifle just has to be the winner for me, in a land where there are really NO firearm bargains.....

upload_2018-4-25_16-25-52.png
upload_2018-4-25_16-26-37.png

AND the correct Parker-Hale Model 5D aperture sight. AND one of those fancy little round brass doo-dads for storing foresight elements. AND a red plastic box containing TWENTY complete sets of Anschutz and Parker-Hale foresight elements. AND a Gehmann L/H single-point sling. The Al Freeland sight has Unertl POSA mounts, themselves not exactly economy items.

All for $75.

tac

PS - if anybody here is stuck for foresight elements, please let me know - they look like this, BTW -
upload_2018-4-25_16-30-19.png

In late 2009, at a gun show in Puyallup, I spotted a Colt Python, blue with a 6" barrel for $1025. The trigger felt gritty which I pointed out to the seller. He agreed that was the case. We hemmed and hawed a bit, and I walked away. I did a lap of the building, and went back, talked more with the seller, and offered $725. He countered at $875 and we shook hands. I took the revolver home, cleaned all the innards with brakekleen, carefully lubricated everything, and it was (and is) as smooth as silk. At the time, Pythons were hovering in the $1000-$1500 area, and after that the prices just skyrocketed. Had I passed on that deal, I'd likely never have been able to enjoy owning a Python.

How does this rank?
M1A.
LRB M25 receiver with integrated scope rail, matched with a Krieger SS 5R 22 inch heavy barrel.
Sadlack guide rod
JAE 100 G3 with 4 pieces of rail mounted on it, bipod mount stud and upgraded Titanium cams. Used, small marks on rails from mounting equipment, but no evidence of being shot to any extent........... $2,499

What about the one that got away?

Some years back a coworker decided to sell off several of his guns. He told me about it after he sold them. I knew he had a Colt Python. He told me he sold it for $500. This was around 2002.

What about the one that got away?

Some years back a coworker decided to sell off several of his guns. He told me about it after he sold them. I knew he had a Colt Python. He told me he sold it for $500. This was around 2002.

This is called "The best deal you ever got on a firearm," not "What's the saddest story you've ever heard?"

I recently purchased a Taurus model 85 in 38 special, . It is hammerless and has a nickel finish. It had never been fired. I also got 3 holsters with it, two pairs of ear muffs, one of them being electronic muffs and 35 boxes of ammo for 450. I think it was an ok deal.

IF memory serves me correctly, the Savage 511 could be had with a set of Rifle Barrels. Additionally, if I'm remembering correctly, the caliber was .308 and maybe .45-70. Always wanted one of each!!!
Interesting. I've never heard that before.
The 511 was only offered for a short time, from what I've heard.
Part of a batch of "value priced" guns Savage offered in the late 70's.
It's not offered in my '81 Savage catalogue, but someone told me it is shown on the back page from a few years earlier.
I'd like to see the rifle version. That would be a cool one to try out.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top