JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the best deal you ever got on a firearm from a shop or a stranger (free, or deals from friends/family don't count)?

I bought a Smith 65-3 from a pawn shop for $260 out the door. But the best deal I think I ever got was a Ruger Redhawk, 7.5" stainless 44 magnum, with scope mount, two basic but acceptable scopes, a hunting holster rig, and 2 or 3 boxes of ammo for $395. Both of these were about 10 years ago.

What are your best scores?

Hm, your friends discount kills mine, cuz I bought a Keltec P40 for IIRC $40. Despite being both a .40, and being a Keltec, it was decently fun to shoot, and 100% reliable. Trigger sucked, sights were dismal, but it worked. My friend, who was bigger than me, with Sasquatchian meathooks, hated it. Said it hurt to shoot. o_O

I bought an XD9 sub compact with 3 mags for $125 once from a friend of a family member who needed cash. She had just bought it 2 weeks prior. Kinda felt bad cuz it was her carry gun, but she needed $$ more.

I traded a Streamlight TLR1 for a sporterized Enfield that needed the stock finished.

Sounds like you made out alright, @2DaMtns !

I'll play, a while back I scored a stainless ruger mkii bull barrel with belt/holster, seven mags and a 1954 heavy refurb Russian sks +1,600 rounds and 160 clips for $400.

Glad I took the day off!

I feel bad if I get too good of a "deal" on something, feel like I took advantage of the seller. There's been a time or two in the past when I've paid someone above asking price on something they had to sell.

There was one time years ago when I was in a now-defunct gun shop in Eugene, a shop well known for their customer service (and not in a good way). I asked the guy about the old SKS on the used rack, labeled "Russian SKS", for $120. It looked like it had been in a war, but that was a good price on an SKS even in that condition, even back then.

I know a little about SKS rifles and the various types from various countries, and this one wasn't Russian. I politely mentioned to the gun shop employee that I suspected this was something other than Russian. He was quite rude in his response, basically telling me that he's the expert and if he says that's what it is, then that's what it is.

I went home, did a little research online, then went back first thing the next morning to quickly buy his "Russian" SKS. Some time later I ended up selling that NVA SKS for $800.

My best deal was when I paid $5.00 over the current MSRP(it was $85.00 in '68) for a S&W Model 10-5. Considering I got 900 rounds of ammo with it. That wasn't a bad deal. About 10 years ago that Revolver was appraised at $13,000!

:D:D:D NTB in my opinion!

At the time I made this deal I was just a Kid and my Buddy got a Model 36(2") at the same time. Nothing special but the Model 10-5 had Factory Engraving on the Side Plate that said it was made for the Shah of Iran.

I'll add more in another thread later.

Last Edited:
Many over a lifetime of shooting but one I think of now and then is a 1911 I bought in Late 70's or early 80's. Pawn shop I used to stop in every so often got to know me. Knew I was always looking for Mil Surp 1911's. They used to show up now and then for good price. At the time a NIB Colt was around $400. I walk in one day and one of the owners announces he has a Mil Surp for sale. He hands me a VERY nice 1911 that was a commercial. I really don't think he at the time knew the difference. I told him this is a commercial version. This was long before smart phones but I could see by Serial # it was old. I had no idea how old. He wanted $300. I offered $250 and he jumped on it. Took it home and looked it up turns out it was made in the mid 30's. Was in very very nice shape and shot great. Took it to next show and some guy just had to have it. So badly he paid me over twice what I paid. When I got home I told Wife, get ready, I'm taking you out for a nice meal :)

Free, ammo and rifle from some one that didnt want their guns anymore.
Pay wise, was for a Sig P229 LE Service Issue, 40SW preban.
Traded a 4x8 flat 200.00 trailer for it. It was in mint condition, officer was moving to Komifornia and the firearm was not legal to own there and he needed a trailer.

Straight trade of a Yugo SKS in average shape for a 6" SS Ruger GP100 with rosewood insert grips in great shape.

This was years ago, so the yugo was probably worth $200-300 tops

Had to get rid of it but loved it so much that I will be buying one again someday.

Straight trade of a Yugo SKS in average shape for a 6" SS Ruger GP100 with rosewood insert grips in great shape.

This was years ago, so the yugo was probably worth $200-300 tops

Had to get rid of it but loved it so much that I will be buying one again someday.

Yugos are nice they are not chrome lined but have pretty tight tolerances my fav of the SKS's
that and they have a grenade launcher :)

I picked up a Bersa .380 for 50 bucks. I got 2 Detonics 1911 early serials, marked Belview Wa, for $500. I also got a Winchester model 70 for 300 bucks. These were purchased in the last 10 years.

What's the best deal you ever got on a firearm from a shop or a stranger (free, or deals from friends/family don't count)?

I bought a Smith 65-3 from a pawn shop for $260 out the door. But the best deal I think I ever got was a Ruger Redhawk, 7.5" stainless 44 magnum, with scope mount, two basic but acceptable scopes, a hunting holster rig, and 2 or 3 boxes of ammo for $395. Both of these were about 10 years ago.

What are your best scores?
A guy I worked with was getting divorced and asked me to help him move some furniture into his truck.
Even though I HATE moving, he was cool and I could see he was in a bad spot, so I helped him out.
Turns out he only needed to move a few things. We were done in less than an hour.
Afterwards, we kicked back with a couple of shots of some very smooth sippin' whiskey he'd obtained.
He wanted to pay me and I asked if I could have his shotgun.
He was so ecstatic, he almost threw it at me!

....and that's how I got my little H&R 20 ga. ;)

After that, I bought my ol' .30-30 from a guy in a parking lot for $90.
Not sure how much of a "deal" that is. It was a sound gun and a good shooter, but I never used it much.
Sold it to a guy I worked with a couple of years ago for twice the price, so I guess I made out on that deal.

Dean

Just before FTF sales went away.

I met up with a guy to buy a shotgun to cut down.

$100 quick deal in a parking lot and I headed home.

The action had a little catch to it so I took it apart and very lightly sanded the bur. Smooth as butter.

Come to find out that it was farmed out from JC Higgins in 1951 to high standard, had a jeweled bolt, vent rib barrel with an adjustable choke. As well as it's in 95% condition.

Still probably my favorite shotgun and is one hell of a shooter for clays.

New, unfired HK USP .45 Tactical with complete softcase, cleaning kit , etc, purchased at the PDX gunshow right after Sandy Hook. $500.
Sold it 2months later for $1350.

Kinda wish I would have kept it.

There is an old Sears Winchester Shotgun mint was $100.00 nice shooter.
During the 22LR scare traded a couple boxes of ammo for a 22LR pistol.

On my 21st bday (long time ago in 2001) I was being driven around to some local watering holes when we walked past Wild Bull's in Molalla. I went in for fun and left with a S&W 629 classic for $350 out the door. I didn't even know that I was looking! He had it on consignment for a friend. I sold it several years later for close to $800. I wish I had it back, I'd pay full price too!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews