JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From what I've found online it takes 300-500 rounds to get it broken in to the point where you can rely on it:

Note that's from 4 years ago so perhaps Kel-Tec has improved things a bit. The newer 5.56 RDB doesn't seem to have the same issues. I have heard that Kel-Tec is pretty responsive to feedback. but no personal experience.
The RDB seems to be going against Kel-Tec's rep. Not sure I can say the same for the RFB. IICR some people had to send their RFBs back a few times. Not sure if its completely fixed now, just wouldn't stake anything on it when there's already proven out there.

From what I've found online it takes 300-500 rounds to get it broken in to the point where you can rely on it:

Note that's from 4 years ago so perhaps Kel-Tec has improved things a bit. The newer 5.56 RDB doesn't seem to have the same issues. I have heard that Kel-Tec is pretty responsive to feedback. but no personal experience.

I can only speak for 2 RFB because those are the only two that I fire / own. (Everything in pairs) lol....

Both the ones I shoot are the 24 inch barrel configuration, both are about 4 years old. I've only shot a few brands of ammo and mostly just my own reloads because when you are shooting .308 in volume, reloading saves a bunch of money.

Anyway, once you have the gas system adjusted, it's a work horse and will work. I think the problem is the gas system is so adjustable that most of the people who own it play with it too much and/or select the wrong gas setting for it to run reliably with all/most ammo. I know I was doing some run and gun in Montana and just for fun I adjusted the gas system to see how much I could reduce the amount of recoil I was feeling from the cycling of the piston. I ended up having failures to feed because I didn't give it enough gas so it wasn't stripping a round from the mag.

So, once I hit that point I went back up in the gas setting and ran it some more to make sure it would cycle reliably.

Long story short, probably have 500 rounds through mine and the only time I've had a malfunction is after I tried to mess with it to reduce the gas setting.

Ishapore SMLE, if for no other reason than to be contrary. Bolt guns aren't ammo sensitive, makes you aim - no spray'n'pray, holds 12 rds. The design was in service for longer than anything except maybe the Mosin-Nagant and proved itself in every battle theatre in modern times. A boltgun is a rifleman's weapon.

The .303 smle is sadly succeptable to rim lock. Which is sad because I'd rather have a smle in .303 than the later .308.

But way to be different...;)

I can only speak for 2 RFB because those are the only two that I fire / own. (Everything in pairs) lol....

Both the ones I shoot are the 24 inch barrel configuration, both are about 4 years old. I've only shot a few brands of ammo and mostly just my own reloads because when you are shooting .308 in volume, reloading saves a bunch of money.

Anyway, once you have the gas system adjusted, it's a work horse and will work. I think the problem is the gas system is so adjustable that most of the people who own it play with it too much and/or select the wrong gas setting for it to run reliably with all/most ammo. I know I was doing some run and gun in Montana and just for fun I adjusted the gas system to see how much I could reduce the amount of recoil I was feeling from the cycling of the piston. I ended up having failures to feed because I didn't give it enough gas so it wasn't stripping a round from the mag.

So, once I hit that point I went back up in the gas setting and ran it some more to make sure it would cycle reliably.

Long story short, probably have 500 rounds through mine and the only time I've had a malfunction is after I tried to mess with it to reduce the gas setting.

Hmmmmmm... I may have to give one (or two) a try once I sell my machine gun.

Nah, steel .308 AR mags are as weighty as the FAL ones in my experience. One of the reason I moved away from the .308 AR and Galil Ace is because the steel mags cost a lot, and the polymer ones aren't as good as the 5.56 magpul ones.

If I'm gonna deal with the weight of those mags, might as well be with a gun that has affordable ones. :rolleyes:

If I'm gonna deal with the weight of those mags, might as well be with a gun that has affordable ones. :rolleyes:

I agree, and this one comes with the mag built in!

308-m1-garand.jpg

Almost bought a M1 Garand a week or two ago, a local shop had two in decent condition. But the STG-58 was at a steal of a price I had to pass up on the M1 (the STG was $900 with 6 mags, original and the railed dust cover, spare parts, among other stuff).

MUCH love for the BM 59, here's mine, basically an improved Garand. Very sweet but up for sale now on GB.

View attachment 379786

Outstanding example, GLWS!

That's kind of the problem with the BM-59 though. Many folks aren't aware of them, and they fetch a premium.

Can be found in allrite to decent condition ~$1200-1500, with some looking though.

Never tried one mind you, but supposedly they're the M1 made more "better". Lighter, softer recoil. Convenient accessories if intact as well.

I preferred carrying steel clips to insanely bulky and weighty magazines. It takes less that a second to reload an M-1.

Not saying the M1 isn't a solid platform, however if we take all things into consideration the OAL of the system is far longer than I prefer. I am a major fan of the bullpup design.

Thermold makes metric fal mags out of polymer (what the RFB takes), they're pretty nice for not being P mags, they're super light, hold 20 rounds and unless you are using them as a hammer should last my whole lifetime.

Beauty of this whole thing is our "militia" of citizens can use whatever "battle rifle" we want in any future "battle" we may need them in. It would be a tough pick for me, but when I consider all things and remaining in the .308 caliber with my choices currently being a RFB, an AR10 and a Savage lever action. The RFB would be my first choice because I can easily maneuver in vehicles, in buildings while suffering no loss in accuracy or durability in my opinion compared to my AR10.

No if we are allowed to vote for guns not yet in production. It would be the Tavor 7 (.308 caliber Tavor)

And the only reason why that over the RFB is because I believe a true battle rifle should be side ejecting so any potential jams can be cleared more easily by being able to view the jam in the chamber with ease. (Although I think you would be hard pressed to make a RFB jam without it suffering a hardware failure to make it jam.

Beauty of this whole thing is our "militia" of citizens can use whatever "battle rifle" we want in any future "battle" we may need them in

Actually it's not a difficult choice at all. The rifle of choice would naturally be whatever is the standard issue battle rifle of the current government. That would be an AR in .556. I suppose one might might try to get ahead of the game by choosing an HK 416 but I'd stick with standard government issue for both rifle and pistol. The only exception would be by choosing a 9mm Glock for a handgun.

Actually it's not a difficult choice at all. The rifle of choice would naturally be whatever is the standard issue battle rifle of the current government. That would be an AR in .556. I suppose one might might try to get ahead of the game by choosing an HK 416 but I'd stick with standard government issue for both rifle and pistol. The only exception would be by choosing a 9mm Glock for a handgun.

Action would dictate equipment. The .223 and the AR are great, but obviously the military employs multiple rifles and multiple calibers for a reason.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top