JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not saying you gotta have one but... A STG-58 does look pretty damn good. :cool:

80b2cae4ef48ec08de703c9747db9b84.png

I'm gonna be odd man out here and say "Sig SG 542" as produced/modernized in Chile by FAMAE.......

It's similar in appearance to both the HK/CETME/PTR series and the FAL but with Swiss precision using AK style gas piston system;)

If i want it to go bang 100% of the time i'll go with the HK. The FAL can be finicky especially as the gas system ages.
Now that I just remembered I took a pic for the sake of this post.

As the FAL goes on the threads on the gas system can work loose and it will cause issues with gas leaks. The Austrians designed a short gas tube where it doesn't leak as it ages. The gas tube is soldered on so there's nowhere for it to leak.

IMG_2683.JPG

I like the history of the M1 , but my heart goes to the 03.
Hard to argue with that Bro.

Great question - I knew the 30-06 crowd would crash the party due to the relationship between the two. Also, it's interesting to know how many favor it over the more modern 7.62x51
I've never cared much for the '06 calibre itself but love the '03's and the Garands so there it is.

I'll take the extra weight and go with the Israeli H Bar. Next would be the M1A over the M1 only because of mag capacity if SHTF.

Now that I just remembered I took a pic for the sake of this post.

As the FAL goes on the threads on the gas system can work loose and it will cause issues with gas leaks. The Austrians designed a short gas tube where it doesn't leak as it ages. The gas tube is soldered on so there's nowhere for it to leak.

View attachment 379808

They still leak internally on some of the more worn out STG 58 Kits. Not that youve been able to buy a kit in over a decade but when they were coming in hot and heavy I went through quite a few that were in pretty bad shape even to the point where full closed wouldnt cycle.

That's with gas systems in general. Eventually parts need to get replaced. The difference is the short ones don't leak prematurely through the threads, and last a pretty long time.

With kits you don't really know how much use it has seen or if it was just handled a lot. Kits with gas problems could have seen more soldiers than that lady who "love you long time".

Last Edited:
Want to say the Desert Tech MDR, but I've only got to hold it and play with the controls. I didn't get to shoot it. I've shot handful of all the guns that were in the list from low end to high end. I would have to say my favorite so far has been FN Scar 17. It's light but still had one of the lightest felt recoil I ever felt in a 308 platform. It did have the ACR stock upgrade and the gessile trigger pack. Which are far improvements over the original Hardware.

Added two platforms to the poll I overlooked that should have been included:
  • FN SCAR 17
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Note that you can change your votes if you would have selected either of these

Last Edited:
I see no reason to change from the .30-06 bolt gun, although the gun-snob in me is holding his nose because not any .30-06 bolt gun will do. It simply must be a Springfield 1903 of some iteration...;)

Added two platforms to the poll I overlooked that should have been included:
  • FN SCAR 17
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Note that you can change your votes if you would have selected either of these
From what I can remember the RFB has issues. Its enough to keep me from considering it as anything serious or beyond hunting.

That being said, the SCAR-17 is a good rifle but I prefer its father.

All good ones. If you have one in your hands and you know your business you can't go too wrong with any quality .308 battle rifle.
Personal preference rules here: pick the one that feels right for you

From what I can remember the RFB has issues. Its enough to keep me from considering it as anything serious or beyond hunting.

That being said, the SCAR-17 is a good rifle but I prefer its father.

From what I've found online it takes 300-500 rounds to get it broken in to the point where you can rely on it:

Note that's from 4 years ago so perhaps Kel-Tec has improved things a bit. The newer 5.56 RDB doesn't seem to have the same issues. I have heard that Kel-Tec is pretty responsive to feedback. but no personal experience.

Ishapore SMLE, if for no other reason than to be contrary. Bolt guns aren't ammo sensitive, makes you aim - no spray'n'pray, holds 12 rds. The design was in service for longer than anything except maybe the Mosin-Nagant and proved itself in every battle theatre in modern times. A boltgun is a rifleman's weapon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top