JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who is the King of the 7.62x51 Hill?

• M1 Garand - Won The Big One, What More Do You Want?

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • M1A - Piston Perfection You Commie!

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • FAL - The Free World's Right Arm

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • HK G3/PTR-91 - Roller Delayed Blowback Perfection

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • AR-10/AR308 - The 60 Year Old FNG

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • I'll Stick With My 30-06 Springfield Boltie, Thank You

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other - Please tell us what and why

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 308 Galil - Keepin it Kosher

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • FN SCAR 17

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • Kel-Tec RFB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The reason I would choose a Galil over FAL or G3 type weapons is I prefer a similar manual of arms between my weapons. My primary long arms are ARs and AKs, an AR works like and AR whether it is 5.55 or 7.62, the M1A/M14 and Galil both operation like an AK.

I've seen people rip up with an AK then switch to a FAL and totally choke running the FAL because the operation is different and they would grab for the operating rod on the wrong side, never had a problem switching between my AK and M1A.

That's exactly why I went with an AR308 - so the battery of arms is the same as my AR-15's. It's not just myself I'm thinking about but others I may have to train. I also appreciate that it's a system rifle so I can service it with the same tools as my AR-15's and can do all my own repairs.

While the Galil is similar to the AK, it isn't a dollar to dollar value. One in .308 is gonna be anywhere between 3k-5k, on an auction. Mags aren't cheap either, unless you're modifying M14 magazines (which is still gonna cost more than just one M14 magazine).

Had IWI brought back the Galil instead of the ace (which would have made me die of a heart attack, and I'm a healthy person!) I'd been more inclined to say its better, or at least be good for the money.

As I said, dollar for dollar the big three provide the most value. While a .308 AR can be had for the same price of a PTR-91, I'd still question if its as rugged at that price point. Though I'm not entirely sure I can include the M14 in the dollar for dollar value, seeing as the lowest I see one sell is around $1,200 for a M1A.

Outside the rifle itself, no. But the less spent on rifle the more spent on ammo, parts, mags, etc.

Had the sanctions against Russia not been there, I would have said a Vepr would be better for the money (outside of magazine costs). And less patience required than the FAL (you can get an older DS prefix DSA for under $1k, but its a waiting game). But alas, Obama put in the BS sanctions and Trump isn't gonna lift it.

I just figure there is nothing cheap about 308/7.62x51

While not necessarily cheap, there is value with quality available.

That's why we are AR10 & G3 (PTR91) based for that caliber in semi auto. Less expensive to have replicate arms, as compared to the others on the list. No sense, imo, to not have replicate arms in inventory.

G3 magazines are also extremely inexpensive in the aluminum. Functioning ones can be had by the dozen, as compared to say 3-4 of most other platforms (including AR10 type). Again, not a sole reason to select a platform, but value for $ does help.

Along with ease of purchasing at said value.

Point being, why spend $3500 on a single semi-auto rifle with load out, when you can have 2 (or 3) at that price, AND be able to afford to practice with them?

Absolutely nothing against having a "premium" rifle & load out, it's just that we can't currently justify the expense vs return, as all of our rifles are shooters.

There are many on the list I'd like to have, but if we did, we likely wouldn't run them any where near as frequently as we do our currents.

...and if we can't/don't run them, we wouldn't be familiar with them.

In the eventuality that I will build a 308 sr25 look alike or some such...I have these woodland pouches ready for the mags. 4x TT 308 doubles plus m16 pouches for single mags. Based on a couple photos of an 82nd ABN with DMR M14 . Realistically i would run the 4 mags on my self made split woodland rig with woodland TT utility pouches and TT grenade pouches in woodland flavor... or I could sew up a dedicated 308 plate carrier.

20170614_182405.jpg

While not necessarily cheap, there is value with quality available.
Been trying to say that... There are proven rifles that can be had at affordable prices. With spare parts available, and magazines that don't cost a lot.

The more spent on ammo=More time spent with the rifle=More time getting used to it. The G3 (PTR-91), FAL, and M1A can be had at affordable prices (if you're patient with the latter two). For the money you can get them at they're a good value.

It's a good thread. An M1A is a damn nice rifle to shoot and own. Although I think that if I had to use one in battle, I'd want the version with the fun switch. That, and the rest of the rifle company!

I have to say I missed this thread the first time around but I also noticed that YOU Missed the one that is my choice so I hit the other Button. The "Real Deal" called the M-14 and Not the 'Close but NO Cigar' M1A:rolleyes: because it just ain't the same. I really think that if Patton had lived to see the M-14 he would have been very pleased. And many of us know what he thought of the Garand.:):):)

I was trained on the m14 we used them in the submarine service
I will.say that my m1a is functionally the same. I have never seen an m14 with auto switch on it.
Given the choice between the m14s we had and my m1a I would take mine anyday.

I'll start out by saying that You missed a real Treat, in missing out on the Selector Switch. I did my Basic starting with the M-14 and finished up with the M-16(I've disliked it ever since). I was headed for APG and the Small Arms Repair School and let it be known to the Basic Armorer and he was nice enough to put me on every Work Detail he was respondible for. This included him showing me the Selector Switch and providing me with several for my Platoon. My Platoon cleaned the clocks on the rest of the Company during War Games.:D:D:D

I know the M1A is a fine Rifle but the Selector Switch does have its place and it isn't on an M1A.

I was trained on the m14 we used them in the submarine service
I will.say that my m1a is functionally the same. I have never seen an m14 with auto switch on it.

IIRC the full auto M14 turned out to be too difficult to control even with a pistol grip, so the military went a different direction for that role.

IIRC the full auto M14 turned out to be too difficult to control even with a pistol grip, so the military went a different direction for that role.
I don't believe that is correct because the 7.62 M-60 came out at the same time as the M-14. Plus the M-60 stayed in use long after the M-14 did. And I will also say that while the M-60 is easier to control the M-14 in Full Auto mode is still very effective.

I'll let this thread go for now.

I'll start out by saying that You missed a real Treat, in missing out on the Selector Switch. I did my Basic starting with the M-14 and finished up with the M-16(I've disliked it ever since). I was headed for APG and the Small Arms Repair School and let it be known to the Basic Armorer and he was nice enough to put me on every Work Detail he was respondible for. This included him showing me the Selector Switch and providing me with several for my Platoon. My Platoon cleaned the clocks on the rest of the Company during War Games.:D:D:D

I know the M1A is a fine Rifle but the Selector Switch does have its place and it isn't on an M1A.
The fal at one time has a selector switch on it my R1 still has the position but it was determined as I understand that even the fal did poorly on full auto and started having the full auto position pinned so it could not be used. It seems full auto to me in 7.62x51 is not that great based on the history of the rifles themselves. If given a chance to make any of my 308 rifles full auto I would not do it for controllability reasons.

It's a good thread. An M1A is a damn nice rifle to shoot and own. Although I think that if I had to use one in battle, I'd want the version with the fun switch. That, and the rest of the rifle company!
Even the M14s with the giggle switch were pinned to semiauto only.

The FALs were pinned as well, and the FAL has less recoil (but not by a huge margin).

Even the M14s with the giggle switch were pinned to semiauto only.
The Selector could be installed on the M-14 by removing the Selector Shaft Lock OR the Selector Shaft Lock could Simply be turned over to obtain the same effect but if this was done the rifle was a Full Auto mode only. I suppose this is the "pinned to semiauto only" that you mention.

The Selector could be installed on the M-14 by removing the Selector Shaft Lock OR the Selector Shaft Lock could Simply be turned over to obtain the same effect but if this was done the rifle was a Full Auto mode only. I suppose this is the "pinned to semiauto only" that you mention.
Used pinned loosely. They just didn't have them able to be full auto.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top