JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may be young, 40 going on 41, but I remember when Ashland Oregon was the kooky weird place and Portland a respectable fishing/industrial place, with a good timber industry, very sleepy coastal towns that just weren't tourist traps.. this was the 80s. But I also remember during that time, the whole enviro-nut thing and the killing of the timber industry.. before Katz. Portland was still somewhat respectable during the late 80s to mid 90s until Katz. Also about the same time (early 80s) Colorado went from a sleepy, quiet mining and forestry state to being the destination for wealthy snow skiers and affluent business people banking on Aspen and Denver.
Vera Katz would be considered a "Right wing Fascist" today by most in Portland if she were still alive. I remember moving up here in 1995 as a kid, and from then to about the mid-2000s, Portland was considered a lot safer and cleaner than it is today. Oh sure, there were nutjobs, but there's no way she would have tolerated this homeless or crime epidemic.

In my opinion, her only failing was butting heads with her revolving door of police chiefs towards the end of her career. She'd be appalled if she saw Portland today.....just nothing but sheer incompetence and corruption after her tenure.

moving is helping the antis win.
How, exactly? Any gun grabbing states lose seats in Congress during the Great Covid Migration? How are those state budgets looking with people and businesses voting with their feet and wallets?

The only way to win is to say no more where your at right now.
Gun grabbers gravitate to gun grabbing utopias, displacing and replacing gun owning traditions. Big cities and convenience everywhere is a must. There is a reason more rural areas are overwhelmingly non gun-grabber, and will remain so forever. Weak people don't go where life is hard.

If you don't want to move to another state, just say so. No need to try to justify staying and try to demonize those with the will to leave.

I've actively fought gun laws in WA for decades, along with only a few thousand other dedicated gun owners. The other hundreds of thousands of gun owners there obviously didn't appreciate those efforts, so many of us just took our activism elsewhere. Many WA members on this very forum helped me understand how weak and worthless they are. I can't speak about OR so YMMV. But the vast majority of WA gun owners seem quite content with que sera sera, to they can have it.

I do miss the rain, though.

That's what many have been predicting/fearing: that Idaho is being overrun by left-leaning voters. However, if the data in the article I'm referencing in my earlier post is correct, the opposite is actually true: new arrivals are apparently increasing the conservative voter base. Of course, they will also have to vote to make a difference. :rolleyes:
I resemble this post.

Gun grabbers gravitate to gun grabbing utopias, displacing and replacing gun owning traditions. Big cities and convenience everywhere is a must. There is a reason more rural areas are overwhelmingly non gun-grabber, and will remain so forever. Weak people don't go where life is hard.

If you don't want to move to another state, just say so. No need to try to justify staying and try to demonize those with the will to leave.
Gun grabbers move to places where its more affordable to live, just like anyone else. Its the reason more rural areas expand over time, and will not remain conservative forever. I haven't demonized anyone for wanting to leave. Ive thought about it myself. I'm just pointing out the reality that giving up a place is allowing someone else to expand it, to put it in other words. Imagine if Judge Raschio said eff this place and had left a year ago.

There's fantastic state ranges all over the state on forest land $50 a year and unsupervised. 3 of them within 50 miles of where I live. Shoot whatever, they don't care
Where are the state ranges? Is there a SC DNR website for them?

How far from the Low Country are they?

Gun grabbers move to places where its more affordable to live, just like anyone else.
Affordable is only 1 piece of the pie. Jobs, healthcare, weather, commute time, favorable activities, etc all play a part. As the "work from home" fad fades away, and reality and regret sets in, those that immigrated here and to Wyoming and the dakotas are slowly starting to find their way back.

Ashland is still weird, however the rest of Jackson County keeps the weirdness in check. For the most part.

Likely the real reason Ashland didn't explode (like Portland)? Size/Lack of housing/low population.

The true weird folks of Ashland work, always have. To some extent, even if only seasonally (theaters/studios/ski) or tourist industry.

Up Portland way? More minimum wage/entry level type jobs. Perhaps by a factor of x 1000.
Portland has a major airport. Getting to Bend or Ashland from LA or SF is just so, you know, like, long. Plus, you can't get to those places on one charge.

Does that data also calculate the median ages of those moving to Idaho? Because if it's mostly older people, as in Gen X or even boomers... and not as many Millennials and Gen Zs.. then they (the leftist Statists) just have to wait out and export young people to these places.. say, make Cour D'Alene, Boise, et al all "chic and hip places to settle and transform"... much exactly like how Katz did it for Portland, how the Ds in Oregon did to bring those in Colorado and California to Oregon by making Oregon the "hip, chic place to be and to transform".
Precisely. The real baattlegrounds are he minds of the next generation, all they have to do is on the kids and wait for the old folks' clocks to run out.

Of course when the clocks weren't running out fast enough there was always help from the Chinese Boomer Remover...

I do miss the rain, though.
You should be here for a visit! The gauge here just turned over 1.34", since midnight. And 5.11" for the first 5 days and 8 hours. Still coming down steady, and supposed to be that way for most the day.

You should be here for a visit! The gauge here just turned over 1.34", since midnight. And 5.11" for the first 5 days and 8 hours. Still coming down steady, and supposed to be that way for most the day.
Pfft, that's drought compared to up here--God must be finally trying to flush the Giant Toilet Bowl of Puget Sound.

Pfft, that's drought compared to up here--God must be finally trying to flush the Giant Toilet Bowl of Puget Sound.
We've been getting the same system. I hate where I live in potland, but one good thing is, it's all river rock up here south of the airport. A few clogged storm drains is the worst of it. I worry for what kind of catastrophic slides may be closing major highways. Such things as commercial oyster beds being killed.
Another .08" since my post.

Not bad. We're getting some good rain down here too. Glad because the apt complex had contractors working on the drainage system from Bimart parking lot to the street to prevent future flooding of the south side parking lot in the complex and the contractors left a strip of bare dirt/mud (we have a clay soil here though...makes for sticky mud).. yard guys planted grass seeds there so with the ample rain, we should see some green grass shoots sooner.
Depends on how the gauge measures rainfall? Hourly, decent. Minutes, holy moly lol

Family sent me pics. I was there over Veteran's Day. Wet, but not like right now, lol.

Hi my name is MTpockets and I am an Arid-aholic. I have been Oregon-free for 30 months.
ui_mtdesert02.png
Edit to add: If you click to enlarge, you will see that it is AI generated. Not AL generated... don't know any ALs.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top