JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon Live noted that these folks came through town. In the vid, At 1:21 min in, the pastor notes: "2/3 of gun deaths are suicides".

Their efforts are misguided it appears to me. I acknowledge that suicide is horrific for the loved ones left behind, any suicide, any way it's done. As Christians, suicide is prohibited, seems a more effective way to stop the "2/3 of gun deaths are suicides" he calls out would be to work on that issue. If all guns were to disappear tomorrow, people would be forced to take pills and jump off bridges (etc etc) to kill themselves. Would we then stop producing beneficial drugs and tearing down bridges to reduce the suicide rate then? A focus on helping those who get depressed seems more appropriate.
I must say, DB Wesner, I feel I am tiptoeing through the tulips on this topic. The video is from Oregon Live reporting on views coming from a church sponsored event. I guess I would have to read the book to understand how they came up with the 2/3 of gun deaths are suicide. I have a hard time believing that stat! How did they arrive at that figure? Also, I consider this as an extremist viewpoint! Is this a way to score political points? It's hard not to suspect that there are probably many reasons for going public in such a way. I come from an extremist background of viewing all guns as evil, but I now realize that is a RIDGID VIEWPOINT!

I guess I would have to read the book to understand how they came up with the 2/3 of gun deaths are suicide. I have a hard time believing that stat! How did they arrive at that figure?
I believe those stats come from the CDC or FBI stats...but not certain how they arrived at their number.

I must say, DB Wesner, I feel I am tiptoeing through the tulips on this topic. The video is from Oregon Live reporting on views coming from a church sponsored event.
True, but then it swayed into suicide, then into why suicide occurs, then to religion...see the problem?

From the available data, they aren't too far off the mark. According to CDC data, majority of gun-related deaths are suicides, not homicides. From the latest data, 39,773 deaths were from gunshot, but of those 23,854 were suicides, the rest being homicides, accidents, and undetermined causes.
Very good, CountryGent! So, I am not asking you to answer this question, but wondering how the blame goes to the gun? Last night, I watched the media coverage of the gun legislation in Oregon. The bias was quite evident towards guns. Heard Governor Brown saying that she plans to pass legislation that incriminates people for crimes committed through stealing homeowners guns that were not properly locked up. So, those committing suicide are not to blame, nor thieves for robbing others. A total transference of blame on guns justifying gun control!

Wow. How ignorant to misrepresent what the people in the video claim as a way to be peaceful and have a peaceful society.

So much wrong in their theology. They clearly are unaware of the word prophecy and how it is a projection toward the future.

Glad they mentioned the suicide part but using emotion for gain is wrong.

Logos
Pathos
Ethos

Pick your truth.

As for me I'll remain rooted in logos and a little ethos.

Last Edited:
I must say, DB Wesner, I feel I am tiptoeing through the tulips on this topic. The video is from Oregon Live reporting on views coming from a church sponsored event. I guess I would have to read the book to understand how they came up with the 2/3 of gun deaths are suicide. I have a hard time believing that stat! How did they arrive at that figure? Also, I consider this as an extremist viewpoint! Is this a way to score political points? It's hard not to suspect that there are probably many reasons for going public in such a way. I come from an extremist background of viewing all guns as evil, but I now realize that is a RIDGID VIEWPOINT!

In Oregon, it is ~83% of all deaths using a gun are suicides. And climbing. But not as fast as suicides by other methods. I thin it was last year or the year before that suicides using a gun dipped below 50% of all methods.

Wow !!.........I must really be out-of-touch........

Here, I've been busy beating my leaf-blower and weedwacker into guns :eek:

Dewalt-AR15-nail-gun.jpg

Wow. How ignorant to misrepresent what the people in the video claim as a way to be peaceful and have a peaceful society.

So much wrong in their theology. They clearly are unaware of the word prophecy and how it is a projection toward the future.

Glad they mentioned the suicide part but using emotion for gain is wrong.

Logos
Pathos
Ethos

Pick your truth.

As for me I'll remain rooted in logos and a little ethos.
I totally agree with you! The solution of beating guns into garden tools is a misinterpretation of truth! Regardless of which side of the aisle we are on, we all recognize the misuse of firearms for violent intentions. I have seen people come into the hospital with botched suicide from handguns to the head. It isn't pretty! The angle and caliber has a great deal to do with whether or not they succeed. A suicide attempt, whether successful or not, is a horrible experience! It often takes friends and family completely by surprise, and their comments are often lamenting not seeing the warning signs leading up to the tragic event. I agree with what others have said, the solution is not eliminating the instrument of suicide but the process leading up to the attempt. The gun allows an impulsive decision, but the gun isn't the villain. I have heard regrets expressed about wanting to honor an individual's right to be alone and not interfering. There's no honor in being alone, though, and no one in a right state of mind wants to be alone! The problem is not the knife slashing the wrists, the angle of the gun to the head, the pill bottle option, etc. The very real issue is that people isolate and reach a point of mental despair. The answer is supporting others through relationships and not allowing them to suffer alone!

What I dislike about many* folks who are anti-gun is the smug "We are better than you" attitude that some have and broadcast very clearly when "discussing" firearms and firearm ownership.
( Note that I said many and not all ...)

It should be simple :
If you want to own guns , then own guns...
If you don't want to own guns , then don't.
Neither is the "better" or "superior" outlook or viewpoint...Just don't make that decision for someone else.

I also fail to see how beating my firearms into a garden tool , will stop someone else from self harm...
That is kinda like crushing your car to stop others from reckless driving.
Andy

The sad truth is that evil exists in the form of people who want what you have and will use violence to take it. You can post a sign, as they did, that prohibits violence, and see how well that works.
Or you can face the harsh reality that someone out there might ignore the sign and use violence against you, and prepare accordingly.

I don't like the sad truth, but that doesn't change the truth.

P

I know a guy that provides specialty hardware items to assorted institutions (mental hospitals, etc.) that are enforced "gun free zones". A BIG consideration there is suicide prevention. Mostly hanging prevention. Things like toilet paper holders and towel racks become subjects of concern.

If only they understood the simplicity of just banning such items. :rolleyes::eek:o_O

I understand the idea of not having a gun in one's possession somewhat removes the impulsivity to use it to do self-harm. I would not wish to give these people the idea that they are wrong for turning guns into garden implements, if that was their only motivation. I am relatively a newcomer to firearms. Therfore, it would be incorrect to suggest that guns are in my DNA, coming from a pacifist background. I agree with Andy that there's a self-righteous attitude that is explicit from the anti-gun crowd.

Guns are in ALL of our DNA. At some point, all of our forefathers used violence to survive. Sometimes it was violence against others, sometimes it was violence against Nature, but you better believe we all have it.

Pacifism is an unnatural act. Please note I am not criticizing, it's just that pacifism is not found in Nature. It's fine that some people embrace it, as long as there are sufficient warriors ready to defend them from evil.

P

Guns are in ALL of our DNA. At some point, all of our forefathers used violence to survive. Sometimes it was violence against others, sometimes it was violence against Nature, but you better believe we all have it.

Pacifism is an unnatural act. Please note I am not criticizing, it's just that pacifism is not found in Nature. It's fine that some people embrace it, as long as there are sufficient warriors ready to defend them from evil.

P
Yes, I agree with you and Andy that we all will fight for a cause/conviction. I guess I did have guns in my DNA too, as I played with guns as a kid. Although they were toys, I definitely played like I was taking someone out. Personally, I no longer believe in pacifism and agree that it is unnatural. Men have been conquering and subduing for a long time. The idea that we can live in peace isn't realistic but a fantasy! Heck, even vegans are costantly killing vegetables!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top