JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may not be the right section but here it goes...

I have seen numerous threads of people selling off stock handgun barrels. What do y'all do about the serial thats engraved on the barrel?

Sell it with the number still on it? File the number off? I don't think I would want people to have my serial number off my handgun.

Is it legal to file it off?

I only ask because I have my stock gen 4 G19 barrel that I have no need for and keep seeing FS ads for stock barrel.

Thanks y'all

Last Edited:
The frame/receiver is the only required part to have a legible serial number. Many manufacturers (such as Glock) put matching numbers on the major components to ensure "quality control" to identify if all the original parts are still being used.

You're perfectly fine (and legal) to sell the barrel as is, because the barrel is not what's considered "the firearm". I bought a G48 frame (that's the legally defined firearm) from my preferred FFL which has its own S/N and put my G43 slide, barrel (marked with a different S/N), and recoil spring on it making it (essentially) a G43X... perfectly legal.

As to scratching out the S/N.... that may cosmetically "uglify" it if not done properly making it undesirable to a prospective buyer, but yes you can (legally) remove it from the barrel (and slide) if you want.

Hope that helps! ;)

That is a lot of help. Mahalos. (Thanks)
Now to decide if I should sell it with or w/o the SN, keep it and never use it or just destroy it so my SN never is known..

I have changed barrels on my sig 229, and upgraded to a threaded barrrel.
I have chosen to keep the original barrel, as should I choose to re-sell the pistol at some point, the new owner would have both the original and the threaded barrel.

Just a thought.

I have changed barrels on my sig 229, and upgraded to a threaded barrrel.
I have chosen to keep the original barrel, as should I choose to re-sell the pistol at some point, the new owner would have both the original and the threaded barrel.

Just a thought.

I highly doubt I will ever sell off any of my glocks but that is a good point.
Smart thought.

I highly doubt I will ever sell off any of my glocks but that is a good point.
Smart thought.

I agree, that it's highly unlikely that I will sell my pistols, but you never know.

Like with my motorcycle stuff when racing. Buy the bike from the dealer, remove and store all the 'street' stuff and buy race bodywork.
When I sold the bikes, I was able to recover *most* of my original spend because the buyer had both options.

The frame/receiver is the only required part to have a legible serial number. Many manufacturers (such as Glock) put matching numbers on the major components to ensure "quality control" to identify if all the original parts are still being used.

You're perfectly fine (and legal) to sell the barrel as is, because the barrel is not what's considered "the firearm". I bought a G48 frame (that's the legally defined firearm) from my preferred FFL which has its own S/N and put my G43 slide, barrel (marked with a different S/N), and recoil spring on it making it (essentially) a G43X... perfectly legal.

As to scratching out the S/N.... that may cosmetically "uglify" it if not done properly making it undesirable to a prospective buyer, but yes you can (legally) remove it from the barrel (and slide) if you want.

Hope that helps! ;)
Got a source that says you can remove it? Every time you buy a gun here in wa, at least a handgun, you get a pamphlet with some legal crap in it and it says removing or defacing or covering a serial number is illegal. It doesnt say "unless theres another serial number that is still there"

Got a source that says you can remove it? Every time you buy a gun here in wa, at least a handgun, you get a pamphlet with some legal crap in it and it says removing or defacing or covering a serial number is illegal. It doesnt say "unless theres another serial number that is still there"

You can't legally deface the S/N from the part that's LEGALLY considered the "firearm". In the case of a Glock pistol that would be the frame that can contain the FCG, and you cannot LEGALLY deface the S/N on that part.

All other parts are LEGALLY considered just that... parts. That includes the barrel and the slide.

Google it for yourself, or go the the BATFE website and search it out. It's easily found.

The receiver is the part of all firearms that is considered "the firearm". On an AR 15, the lower is the receiver and you can do anything you want with the upper, no questions asked. You can change barrels on a shotgun, but the receiver carries the official serial number. You can change barrels and slides on a pistol, whether they have serial numbers on them or not. The OFFICIAL serial number is on the frame (receiver). Other optional serial numbers on other parts don't matter.

Why worry about the next owner having the serial number on the barrel? The scenarios where even an evil anti-2A person could use it against you are deep into the realm of implausibility.

If someone wanted to sell me a barrel with the S/N ground off I would wonder if it was used in a crime or stolen. And even if not I wouldn't buy such an ugly barrel.

Why worry about the next owner having the serial number on the barrel? The scenarios where even an evil anti-2A person could use it against you are deep into the realm of implausibility.
I can think of a few reasons to worry. For instance, if I was going to use a gun in a crime where bullets might be recovered as evidence, I would want to change out the barrel in my pistol first, with a barrel from some anonymous source. Then after the crime is committed, I remove the anonymous barrel, drill out the rifling, and drop it in 300 feet of salt water far enough offshore to make it impossible to find. I then reinstall the original barrel and put the pistol back in my safe. That way, if questioned, I can produce the pistol I've always owned and it doesn't match up ballistically with evidence from the scene of the crime. Ain't mass production wonderful?

Not that I think about this kind of thing all that much. It's purely an academic exercise.

I can think of a few reasons to worry. For instance, if I was going to use a gun in a crime where bullets might be recovered as evidence, I would want to change out the barrel in my pistol first, with a barrel from some anonymous source. Then after the crime is committed, I remove the anonymous barrel, drill out the rifling, and drop it in 300 feet of salt water far enough offshore to make it impossible to find. I then reinstall the original barrel and put the pistol back in my safe. That way, if questioned, I can produce the pistol I've always owned and it doesn't match up ballistically with evidence from the scene of the crime. Ain't mass production wonderful?

Not that I think about this kind of thing all that much. It's purely an academic exercise.
That would make a nice romance novel.

If you don't get the reference:Romance novelist accused of murdering chef husband for life insurance: Court docs detail allegations ahead of bail hearing

He_s_Right.png

AND THEN....
Remember that some libtards want all gun parts and even bullets marked so that everything can be traced. Which of course would lead to/mean, GUN REGISTRATION.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Ive seen they can trace extractor and ejector markings
Including unique breech face machining tool marks to cases.

They still make revolvers for a reason.:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads