JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To properly remove the serial # from metal material you will need to fire up the hot wrench and when it starts to glow red you apply the o2 and obliterate it.

Grinding it off just delays IDing it.
A bit of chemistry will bring it back. Usually some form of acid.

Even after removing layers of rust and material it is there forever.
Turning the whole thing into a spray of sparks and molten metal is the only way to permanently remove it.
Or for polymer frames you just pry off the inserted tab?

I don't care - the best way to deal with this issue is to have guns that can't be traced to you regardless of whether they have a serial number or not.

My God, read the comments of these hysterical Nervous Nellies! Almost to a man/woman, they are all in support of banning "ghost guns."
And to think that Maine was a party to the Revolutionary War. My, how far the mighty have fallen... :(
Someone should add to their horror by informing them that even guns that start with SNs can quickly become untraceable due to the fact that in many states (29) transfers between residents do not require background checks or involve making or keeping a record. States like Idaho do that to use their fear to keep them away!

Reading the comments, it's usually the self admitted non gun expert explaining to the other non gun expert what the story about guns means. When they say, I don't own and have no use for guns, that should be a clue to walk away and keep the brain cells you currently have.

On top of that, to use EveryTown as a reliable source is laughable. To follow their logic, which guns are responsible for killing people? Legal, illegal or ghost? All, none or neither? If you build your own gun from the beginnings of the nation to today, you only have one thing on your mind. It's too bad no fact reflects that.

The comments at the end of the story who why we have such a mess. People who really can't understand how some scum stealing a gun is not the same as one some scum made. Why would scum want to jump through hoops to make one? If they can't have a gun why would they care if its stolen? Yet these morons really believe the scum can only get a gun by making it and somehow that's worse:confused:

Someone should add to their horror by informing them that even guns that start with SNs can quickly become untraceable due to the fact that in many states (29) transfers between residents do not require background checks or involve making or keeping a record. States like Idaho do that to use their fear to keep them away!
Rrrrrright......the "LOOPHOLE" that the Anti-gun folks want to plug.

Thus, the perceived need/push for every firearm(s) transfer to go through an FFL and BGC.

Yup......

1645726896721.png

Aloha, Mark

It is because the guns are "untraceable" that worries the pols and the powerful.

They don't care about crime or "safety", they care about being able to confiscate guns when the time comes for them to do so.

FYI - removing a serial # from a gun is a federal felony, and often a state felony too.

27 CFR § 478.34 - Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]

Grinding off a serial number does not necessarily remove it. There are forensic techniques to restore it. The metal under the stamping of the number has been compressed.

If only... we were as interested in IDing perps as we are IDing inanimate objects, I think this would be a non-issue.
The gov IS interested in ID-ing perps...VERY interested.

Only problem is, they want to ID them before they're perps...LONG before.

Don't worry though - it's only a matter of time before citywide cameras, facial recognition, device tracking, financial transaction tracking, and traditional identity databases all amalgamate together to resolve you location - any time, any place, from birth, to death.

You know, assuming WWIII doesn't start and wipe us out.

Rrrrrright......the "LOOPHOLE" that the Anti-gun folks want to plug.

Thus, the perceived need/push for every firearm(s) transfer to go through an FFL and BGC.

Yup......

View attachment 1138966

Aloha, Mark
Mark,
Even if every firearm transfer went through a FFL, that would mean little because many in Idaho have enhanced CWPs that exempt us from BG checks. So the only record would be some obscure entry in an FFL's book and finding that entry would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am sure that there are other states that are the same.
The Anti-guns folks may call it a Loophole, but I call it the mark of a free state and people.

Mark,
Even if every firearm transfer went through a FFL, that would mean little because many in Idaho have enhanced CWPs that exempt us from BG checks. So the only record would be some obscure entry in an FFL's book and finding that entry would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am sure that there are other states that are the same.
The Anti-guns folks may call it a Loophole, but I call it the mark of a free state and people.
It is enough - for now. I would dare say that probably a majority of gun owners have at one time or another, had a gun transfer that went thru an FFL, even if the majority of the guns they possess are not on the books. At that point, they are on a list, when confiscation happens, they will be visited, and the goon squad will not stop looking for guns when they find the ones they know about - they will tear apart anything and everything looking for guns and ammo. They will probably go to relative's houses too.

Mark,
It is the Dems agenda that ALL transfers be documented by the Govt. You might think that Idaho has dodged the bullet. That is.....until it happens on a Nation Wide Level.

But that being said, Thank You. For informing me that the entire USA hasn't gone completely BONKERS. Yet.

Ending the Epidemic of Gun Violence

Gun violence is a public health crisis in the United States. Over 100,000 people are shot and nearly 40,000 people die annually from guns—devastating countless families, friends, and communities. We can and will make gun violence a thing of the past. Addressing the gun violence crisis requires supporting evidence-based programs that prevent gun deaths from occurring in the first place, including by making mental health care more accessible and supporting suicide reduction initiatives, funding interventions to reduce homicides and gun violence in neighborhoods, and strengthening protections against domestic violence. Democrats will also ensure the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have sufficient resources to study gun violence as a public health issue, including the ongoing health care, mental health, economic, and social costs that can affect survivors and their families for years. Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition, close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers, abusive partners, and some individuals convicted of assault or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal 47 background check system. We will close the "Charleston loophole" and prevent individuals who have been convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing requirements for owning firearms and extreme risk protection order laws that allow courts to temporarily remove guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

Taken from: 2020 Democratic Party Platform PDF

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany