JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are the serial numbers impossible to remove from today's firearms? I don't understand the focus on "ghost guns" when any gun could be made untraceable with very little effort. Scrubbing a serial number on an AR would take 10 seconds tops on a bench grinder. That would be a lot less effort than finishing an 80% receiver.

Are the serial numbers impossible to remove from today's firearms? I don't understand the focus on "ghost guns" when any gun could be made untraceable with very little effort. Scrubbing a serial number on an AR would take 10 seconds tops on a bench grinder. That would be a lot less effort than finishing an 80% receiver.
Didn't you know? Frames are made of unobtainium and serial #'s are etched with Unicorn Horns...the whole thing is finished in a bath of virgin's blood and baby tears before heading off to cerakote. Of course you can't simply belt grind it off!

It is because the guns are "untraceable" that worries the pols and the powerful.

They don't care about crime or "safety", they care about being able to confiscate guns when the time comes for them to do so.

FYI - removing a serial # from a gun is a federal felony, and often a state felony too.

27 CFR § 478.34 - Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]

BUT, But, but.......What's the Point?

When the "Gang Bangers" can still get out (after only a short time). Not to mention that there are those that continue to join their ranks. And of course, there are plenty of those making excuses for the bad behavior.

WAIT, Wait, wait......
Don't get all "preachy" about going to prison for "only a short time".

Rrrrrright....that is....IF caught and convicted. Besides.....it's NOT like the dead will rise again. Being Dead. That's permanent.

Huh?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Removing serial #s is not a new thing. But for a criminal, what is the benefit? If it is stolen it is stolen - they get charged with possession of a stolen firearm. If the serial number is removed then that too is a felony. If they are a convicted felon - i.e., a "prohibited person" in possession of any firearm, stolen or not, 80% or not, then that is generally a felony too.

None of this is new.

What IS relatively new, is the awareness of more pols/PTB of the proliferation of homemade guns legally owned by law abiding civilians, that are not in their database of gun transfers. In their minds, this cannot stand if they want to achieve their eventual goal of a disarmed populace.

What IS relatively new, is the awareness of more pols/PTB of the proliferation of homemade guns legally owned by law abiding civilians, that are not in their database of gun transfers. In their minds, this cannot stand if they want to achieve their eventual goal of a disarmed populace.
I see the point. I agree with the point.

And yet...

I just don't know. It doesn't seem like the majority of people clutching pearls about "ghost guns" would link the concept with full disarmament of the population. Is that really the connection or is there something else (misguided as it may be)?

And yet...

I just don't know. It doesn't seem like the majority of people clutching pearls about "ghost guns" would link the concept with full disarmament of the population. Is that really the connection or is there something else (misguided as it may be)?
The people in power who want to disarm the populace see this as a maneuver/tactic/strategy/means to an end.

The rest are just useful idiots.

It is because the guns are "untraceable" that worries the pols and the powerful.

They don't care about crime or "safety", they care about being able to confiscate guns when the time comes for them to do so.

FYI - removing a serial # from a gun is a federal felony, and often a state felony too.

27 CFR § 478.34 - Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]

So is using a gun in the commission of a felony, you know, like shooting someone.... :s0109:

Last Edited:

And yet...

For decades, TPTB and their media lap dogs like to use the phrase "in possession of an unregistered firearm" to make the concept of a fictional gun registry "common knowledge', even though there is no such thing. They create a massive lie that everyone just believes is true without a second thought. So, when they hear that people make their own firearms that are not listed in this mythological registry, there is outrage. They then pass laws quietly that creates a real one, and the conditioned populace just continues on in blissful stupidity.

Psychology at work.

Being Dead. That's permanent.
Not if you vote Dem, it ain't... :rolleyes:
1645660145348.png
LOL.

Aloha, Mark

BUT, But, but.......What's the Point?

When the "Gang Bangers" can still get out (after only a short time). Not to mention that there are those that continue to join their ranks. And of course, there are plenty of those making excuses for the bad behavior.

WAIT, Wait, wait......
Don't get all "preachy" about going to prison for "only a short time".

Rrrrrright....that is....IF caught and convicted. Besides.....it's NOT like the dead will rise again. Being Dead. That's permanent.

Huh?

Aloha, Mark
"The department's post discussed a Feb. 15 traffic stop in which a man dropped a homemade gun equipped with a suppressor"
"Portland police spokesperson David Singer said the man involved in the Feb. 15 incident has not been arrested."

So the guy had a suppressor, pretty sure he must have gone thru a BGC of some sort....... He hasn't been arrested, so he must be legally able to have both........ So what is the problem???????? Pretty sure some pipe, a nail and end cap isn't tracible either.

The comments are what you'd expect from the former patriotically rebellious state. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves. Really sad to see what those colonies have become, not to mention the lives given so they could end up pissing their freedoms away.

I don't know why people are surprised that 80% lowers and non-serialized frames were going to be a problem for the government. This is just a problem we created for ourselves. Most criminals are not building "ghost guns", it's the law abiding citizens. I hate to tell you, but your pistol brace is next.

To properly remove the serial # from metal material you will need to fire up the hot wrench and when it starts to glow red you apply the o2 and obliterate it.

Grinding it off just delays IDing it.
A bit of chemistry will bring it back. Usually some form of acid.

Even after removing layers of rust and material it is there forever.
Turning the whole thing into a spray of sparks and molten metal is the only way to permanently remove it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews