JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't. All the dithering about another countries gun laws seem to be what has possibly caused another valuable member to leave our forum. That bothers me.
That was his descision, not anyone here who simply questioned his comparison to UK laws.

Gday Folks,
I thought I'd give a quick run down of Australian gun laws as I remember it. Keep in mind I haven't lived there for a long time so I'm sure some regulations have changed and each state is a little different.

Brief history, Australian federation combined the separate colonies or states in 1901, at that point there was no major firearms laws on the books. I believe 1921 was the first major firearms legislation to occur which was essentially a handgun ban after a significant increase organized crime and a bunch of handguns being bought back by wwi diggers. It was pretty much ignored but restricted handgun importation into the country. Prior to the 1953 Melbourne Olympics this law was changed to allowed pistol shooting events and allow clubs to be formed for competition and sporting purposes. Various states had different laws through to about 1996, New South Wales had some pretty draconian laws on the books, banning military calibers, pistol grip and thumb hole stocks being banned ect. Some were changed in the 80s and there were some registration efforts but overall not nothing to organized.

Then the port Arthur massacre happens and a bunch of laws were miraculously written in days and railroaded through state parliaments in the coming months. Howard was Prime Minister at the time and his wife had been heavily involved in antigun efforts, there as bunch of theories about the events and the background but I'm not going to get into it. Howard for the record was a conservative politician, but would never let a good crisis go to waste whether it was real or not (google children overboard) to remain in power, A real piece of work. Of course the left wing parties were salivating at the chance to get to in on the gun bans as well. They had been terrified of ex military members and firearms owners since the 1930's so it was hard to get the labor, green and liberal democrats on board for the new legislation.

So in 1996 what essentially happens is a total ban on all semiautomatic firearms, including 22s and shotguns, as well as a ban on pump action shotguns (because Howard had watched terminator 2 and said that shotgun of Arnold's was too dangerous, no I'm not kidding, he banned pumps because of an 1887 lever action shotgun). The confiscation was sold as a "buy back", which has put the government in a bit of a pickle as they had run and won on being "fiscally responsible" so they need to privatize a public asset to pay for it, so goodbye Medicare we are selling that part of the health system to pay for it. Then there was also a compulsory registry of all firearms and air rifles as well as storage requirements and inspection of your firearms every few years.

Firearms are registered by different categories here's what I remember them to be

Cat A - air rifles, rimfires, single and double barrel shotguns, single shot rifles
Cat B - Center fire rifles, bolt action, lever action, pump ect.
Cat C - semi auto 22s, semi auto shotguns, pump shotguns under 5 round capacity.
Cat D - Semi auto centrefire rifles
Cat H - Handguns

All require a license to purchase, which requires background check and safety courses along with a reason to own, usually sporting and recreational is the most common but there's are also one for farmers and a few more obscure reasons. Pretty much all you can get is a Cat A & B after that it becomes extremely difficult.

To purchase you need a permit to aquire issued by the police, first firearm in each category is a min 28 days waiting period (that's after they receive the application) and then they send out your permit, after that it's supposed to be issued upon application receipt but they slow walk them a lot so it's normally a few weeks wait or out to a couple of months.

Cat H is pretty much pistol club only, some farmers have them but they are cracking down on them or not issuing from what I've heard.

Now after the Monash University shootings in 2003 a new round of confiscation began and further handgun restrictions. Restrictions began on calibers and the size of a handgun (being to concealment or poweful). So anything above 9mm or 38 bore size was confiscated. There was also an offer to buy all of your handguns and you would be prevented from having an handgun license for 5 years I seem to remember. Then there are barrel length requirements, min of 100mm for wheel guns and 120mm for semi automatic handguns. Also snuck in a magazine capacity ban to 10 rounds while they were at it. We all had to go to the club and get our handguns inspected and measured to meet requirements, if they didn't meet requirements they just kept them and sent you a cheque in the mail.

Now prepare for it to get even more convoluted! Prior to 2003 you need to show 6 club shoots per year. After 2003 there were additional categories created within handguns regarding which competitions and shoot requirements. So air pistols, 22 pistols, centerfire up to 38, silhouette ect became separate categories with minimum shoot requirements. So if you own a pistol in a category you need a minimum of 4 shoots a year in that category, to keep that handgun. So people went from needing 6 competition shoots to 20 shoots o meet their license requirements.

Convoluted by design is the best description of the situation there!

But they are still trying to ban more calibers and firearms, the latest push is for the ban of "rapid fire weapons" essentially going after lever action rifles and shotguns or anything else they might consider a bit evil looking.

Anyway hope that explains a bit about the situation there and yes that's the short version.

Gday Folks,
I thought I'd give a quick run down of Australian gun laws as I remember it. Keep in mind I haven't lived there for a long time so I'm sure some regulations have changed and each state is a little different.

Brief history, Australian federation combined the separate colonies or states in 1901, at that point there was no major firearms laws on the books. I believe 1921 was the first major firearms legislation to occur which was essentially a handgun ban after a significant increase organized crime and a bunch of handguns being bought back by wwi diggers. It was pretty much ignored but restricted handgun importation into the country. Prior to the 1953 Melbourne Olympics this law was changed to allowed pistol shooting events and allow clubs to be formed for competition and sporting purposes. Various states had different laws through to about 1996, New South Wales had some pretty draconian laws on the books, banning military calibers, pistol grip and thumb hole stocks being banned ect. Some were changed in the 80s and there were some registration efforts but overall not nothing to organized.

Then the port Arthur massacre happens and a bunch of laws were miraculously written in days and railroaded through state parliaments in the coming months. Howard was Prime Minister at the time and his wife had been heavily involved in antigun efforts, there as bunch of theories about the events and the background but I'm not going to get into it. Howard for the record was a conservative politician, but would never let a good crisis go to waste whether it was real or not (google children overboard) to remain in power, A real piece of work. Of course the left wing parties were salivating at the chance to get to in on the gun bans as well. They had been terrified of ex military members and firearms owners since the 1930's so it was hard to get the labor, green and liberal democrats on board for the new legislation.

So in 1996 what essentially happens is a total ban on all semiautomatic firearms, including 22s and shotguns, as well as a ban on pump action shotguns (because Howard had watched terminator 2 and said that shotgun of Arnold's was too dangerous, no I'm not kidding, he banned pumps because of an 1887 lever action shotgun). The confiscation was sold as a "buy back", which has put the government in a bit of a pickle as they had run and won on being "fiscally responsible" so they need to privatize a public asset to pay for it, so goodbye Medicare we are selling that part of the health system to pay for it. Then there was also a compulsory registry of all firearms and air rifles as well as storage requirements and inspection of your firearms every few years.

Firearms are registered by different categories here's what I remember them to be

Cat A - air rifles, rimfires, single and double barrel shotguns, single shot rifles
Cat B - Center fire rifles, bolt action, lever action, pump ect.
Cat C - semi auto 22s, semi auto shotguns, pump shotguns under 5 round capacity.
Cat D - Semi auto centrefire rifles
Cat H - Handguns

All require a license to purchase, which requires background check and safety courses along with a reason to own, usually sporting and recreational is the most common but there's are also one for farmers and a few more obscure reasons. Pretty much all you can get is a Cat A & B after that it becomes extremely difficult.

To purchase you need a permit to aquire issued by the police, first firearm in each category is a min 28 days waiting period (that's after they receive the application) and then they send out your permit, after that it's supposed to be issued upon application receipt but they slow walk them a lot so it's normally a few weeks wait or out to a couple of months.

Cat H is pretty much pistol club only, some farmers have them but they are cracking down on them or not issuing from what I've heard.

Now after the Monash University shootings in 2003 a new round of confiscation began and further handgun restrictions. Restrictions began on calibers and the size of a handgun (being to concealment or poweful). So anything above 9mm or 38 bore size was confiscated. There was also an offer to buy all of your handguns and you would be prevented from having an handgun license for 5 years I seem to remember. Then there are barrel length requirements, min of 100mm for wheel guns and 120mm for semi automatic handguns. Also snuck in a magazine capacity ban to 10 rounds while they were at it. We all had to go to the club and get our handguns inspected and measured to meet requirements, if they didn't meet requirements they just kept them and sent you a cheque in the mail.

Now prepare for it to get even more convoluted! Prior to 2003 you need to show 6 club shoots per year. After 2003 there were additional categories created within handguns regarding which competitions and shoot requirements. So air pistols, 22 pistols, centerfire up to 38, silhouette ect became separate categories with minimum shoot requirements. So if you own a pistol in a category you need a minimum of 4 shoots a year in that category, to keep that handgun. So people went from needing 6 competition shoots to 20 shoots o meet their license requirements.

Convoluted by design is the best description of the situation there!

But they are still trying to ban more calibers and firearms, the latest push is for the ban of "rapid fire weapons" essentially going after lever action rifles and shotguns or anything else they might consider a bit evil looking.

Anyway hope that explains a bit about the situation there and yes that's the short version.
Wow excellent description. Thx so much! I learned something today.

lever guns will be the next "assault rifle".....

Without a doubt, especially now there's some that are black and extra scary looking!

Another point - use of a firearm to defend yourself and family is illegal there's a few people that are under charges for that at the moment.
yup. Even the traditional western era wood furniture ones are very worthy self defense rifles.

Use of firearm to defend yourself is one of the most egregious forms of gun control, they do not want people to survive they want victims to create a victim class to fund social programs for. And no doubt both of these will come to the US if they get their way over here...

I don't. All the dithering about another countries gun laws seem to be what has possibly caused another valuable member to leave our forum. That bothers me.
Like I said in my post, I enjoy tac's history lessons. But where politics and policy is concerned, I don't think there is seeing eye to eye.

For example, the inspections. The law as plainly written dictates that storage inspections happen.

From https://www.justiceinspectorates.go...ads/firearms-licensing-targeting-the-risk.pdf

Home visits
In our survey of firearm certificate holders, all respondents reported that the police undertook home visits when they first applied for a licence. However, they had differing experiences of the way in which these visits were conducted.
In the case of renewal applications, we found that 32 forces undertook home visits in the case of section 1 firearms renewals and 23 in the case of shotgun renewals.
The fact that tac's local constable has been able to use his discretion to not do an inspection does not change the law.

Basically, this conversation boils down to:
- member states UK law has inspections
- tac states *he's* never had one in some sort of justification or rationalization of the BS law
- member call tac out on point stating the law is plain enough to read and his e anecdotal experience is just that
- tac gets huffy and storms off after throwing some barbs of his own

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a member like tac leave the community. That being said, the subtle jabs at Americans while attempting to bolster UK laws with anecdotal experience are necessarily going to invite criticism.

99% of the site is non-political. It's easy enough to ignore the politics threads if it's not your cup of tea.

Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight. The process of stripping citizens of their gun rights takes place over many years, and is accomplished in small steps at first, and larger steps as time goes on. Those who think it wont happen or wont affect them, will eventually come to their senses when they're told to give up those firearms they thought nobody would ever take away from them.
It's too late if you wait until it affects you to decide to take a stand!

Aussie cucks.

I can't even find the words…

Seems Australian law enforcement is a bunch of wussies….

China is flexing their muscles in the South Pacific and this is how the Australian government responds. There must be another Chinese-owned Biden running things down under. SMH
Doing the math appears Australia is preparing it's citizens for a rising China and their role within Chinese Hegemony.

I wonder how the Astrollian Asthorities got tipped off?

lever guns will be the next "assault rifle".....
If not through the natural evolution of productized bigotry, then it certainly will due to products like this and the close link to AR's:

1676978288710.jpeg
(For those who don't follow Shot Show - this is a lever action lower that may end up working out with a solid array of AR15 uppers)
Another point - use of a firearm to defend yourself and family is illegal there's a few people that are under charges for that at the moment.
I believe Mal said it best:

1676978434128.jpeg

I wonder, at what point did the benefit of the doubt shift from the law abiding to the criminal?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top