JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They won't be spawning, so between the sea lions and not being fed a steady diet of trout chow kibbles, I don't think that they will hurt the native fisheries as much as gill nets have done in the past.
Well here in the San Juan islands there is not many or any sea lions there are seals and killer whale 's but where this was I have never seen either so as for them going up river lol the Indians will get most of them in there killer Gill nets

Where these pens are is not out in the middle of the San Juan islands it's Right by resorio straight so when tide coming in it pushed them into Bellingham bay or up the Guimuss channel no killer whale 's or sealions there

Those farm raised Salmon don't have a spawning bed imprinted in their brains, so more then likely they'll just wander around looking for food until they're caught or die of old age.

Those farm raised Salmon don't have a spawning bed imprinted in their brains, so more then likely they'll just wander around looking for food until they're caught or die of old age.
That's true they probably won't spawn but what they are will do is eat the spawn of coho and Chinook they are a predator fish and we all know Salmon will eat other fish eggs but these will eat eggs and young fish the point is are native salmon already have a problem with access to Rivers and killer whale and sea lions and tribe fishing they don't need another problem

Their gene line is as good as toast out in the wild. God Awful meat on that farm raised stuff .
And we. Have heard that before "their gene line is toast in the wild" they are a predator they will do what they have to too survive kinda like humans they will adapt eventually

Wake me when they get some Atlantic flounder out here.
My favorite fish in the world. Used to catch them like crazy when I was a kid. Pacific flounder tastes like transmission fluid (don't ask me why I know that..).
Cheers.

OK now you see my true colors lol black lives matter meh confederate statue heh horin addict craping on the SIDEWALK whatever but when you mess with my time off from work when I fish lol it's time to go to war LOL

Salmon eggs are way up a river deposited in spawning gravel that these fish will never travel too.
The Puget Sound is a very large body of water and the prevailing currents will spread these fish all over the place considering that they don't have an inbred genetic destination to steer by.

All fish of the salmonoid species(including trout, salmon and chars) are a predator fish except for sockeye and their landlocked cousins kokaee which feed on plankton . Why do you think people fish for them with bait? All in the scheme of life. I think the Atlantic Salmon as an invasive species is a bunch of crap, they have been here for over 150 years now. To me a bunch of liberal crap-pseudo science running off at the mouth, why are they not crying over the German Browns, Striped Bass and Walleyes? They cause more damage to native fisheries.

Last Edited:
Sarge, I normally agree with 99.99% of what you post...but that is just plain wrong! How can ANYONE say Atlantic is better than say..sockeye? I mean, Atlantic's have no flavor! Well, unless you smoke the heck out of them! ;)

Add mine to that. Sorry Sarge, coming from someone that was raised on PNW fishing and can now only get the Rt coast version I miss the salmon/steelhead of my youth.

Can anyone here explain why Atlantic Salmon are/were even allowed in farm-pens in the Pacific in the first place? If there is any actual/real concern that an escape and "inter-mingling" of an invasive species would pose at threat it seems that the various departments involved would have stepped in and stopped or prevented it. If Joe citizen is caught putting even a single live fish where it doesn't belong there's hell to pay.

I think this is just a CYA move, because they knew some fisherman would pull up an Atlantic Salmon and it could turn into a big media flap.
(He didn't realize he had that much line out!...News at 11!)

Last Edited:
Can anyone here explain why Atlantic Salmon are/were even allowed in farm-pens in the Pacific in the first place? If there is any actual/real concern that an escape and "inter-mingling" of an invasive species would pose at threat it seems that the various departments involved would have stepped in and stopped or prevented it. If Joe citizen is caught putting even a single live fish where it doesn't belong there's hell to pay.

I think this is just a CYA move, because they knew some fisherman would pull up an Atlantic Salmon and it could turn into a big media flap.
(He didn't realize he had that much line out!...News at 11!)
That's s good question that everyone is asking why where they here

Atlantic salmon grow faster, are less prone to diseases when pen kept and are generally better suited to commercial aguaculture than pacific salmon species. In short fish farmers make more money from them than they would from pacific salmon.

Atlantic salmon grow faster, are less prone to diseases when pen kept and are generally better suited to commercial aguaculture than pacific salmon species. In short fish farmers make more money from them than they would from pacific salmon.
I understand that but why are they farming them here is the question if they are considered invasive why take the chance of them escaping

I just remember that last year the boat that was delivering the fish food to these fish farm's sank in the guimuss Chanel lol had like five giant bags of fish food on it 3.000 lbs bag's or more it could have been the year before

Kind of an interesting read from the state website. Looks as though the released Atlantic Salmon functions like a welfare mother once out in the wild. Its unable to feed itself...

• Review of exiting biological data suggests that escaped Atlantic salmon do not pose significant risk to native fish populations, however, the biological impacts from the recent (1996, 1997, 1999) escapes in Washington are still being evaluated. The large escapes coupled with the findings of naturally-produced Atlantic salmon juveniles on Vancouver Island in 1998 and 1999 are cause for WDFW to continue to be focused on this issue.
  • Competition - Evidence indicates non-native species do not compete well against native fish species; only a small percentage of Atlantic salmon recovered from marine waters have preyed on fish; there have been no observations of Atlantic's eating fish or fish eggs in fresh water. Atlantic salmon which have escaped from net pens near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, have successfully reproduced in three rivers. Their offspring rearing in those river were able to survive for at least a year after hatching. It is unknown if their was presence was detrimental to the wild fish stocks.
  • Predation - There is no evidence of predation by Atlantic salmon in fresh water, and only limited evidence in salt water. Most (>94%) of escaped Atlantic salmon examined have had empty stomachs.
  • Disease transfer - Consideration was given to the transfer of fish pathogens from captive and escaped Atlantic salmon to native salmon stocks. There is no evidence which indicates disease transfer from Atlantic salmon to native Pacific salmon. Fish pathogens infecting Atlantic salmon are endemic to Washington and appear to come from native fish stocks, both salmonids and non-salmonids.
  • Hybridization - The risk of escaped Atlantic salmon hybridizing with native salmonids is low. Research has demonstrated it is very difficult, even under optimal laboratory conditions, to cross-breed between Pacific and Atlantic salmon and produce viable offspring. Should this rare event occur in the wild, the offspring would be functionally sterile and incapable of reproduction.
  • Colonization - Evidence suggests this is an unlikely event; attempts to establish Atlantic salmon outside the Atlantic Ocean have failed; accidental releases of juvenile Atlantic's have not produced adults; intentional releases of Atlantic salmon smolts by WDFW failed to produce adults; evidence on Vancouver Island indicates escaped Atlantic salmon successfully produced juvenile Atlantic salmon, however, there is no evidence that these "wild" Atlantic salmon have returned to their natal stream and successfully spawned. Though juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in three streams, they are not considered to be "established" in British Columbia. In total, Atlantic salmon which have escaped from pens have been observed in approximately 77 streams/rivers in British Columbia and 12 streams in Washington State. To date, no naturally-produced juvenile or adult Atlantic salmon have been found in Washington, in spite of extensive monitoring of outmigrating Pacific salmon smolts in the streams and rivers of the state.
Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) - Aquatic Invasive Species | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top