JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just found out today that over 300.000 Atlantic salmon where released into the waters up here in the SAN JAUN ISLANDS when the net pen broke on Monday WA fish and game are telling all Fisher men to go out and catch them no limits catch as many as you can they are consider a invasive species to this area

They say they will kill baby Chinook and coho and that the average wht is probably around 10lbs 2f2decdc-86dd-11e7-a41e-c6bf8f143af9-1020x765.jpg

I was on the phone already trying to contact my friend who has his boat in the water to get out there lol waiting for call back he's at work hoping to get out there this weekend

They do smoke up very nice:D. Lots a fat.
I just talked to my neighbors and the wife said they don't taste like other salmon and that's what I said smoke them he's on the phone now with his buddy that has a boat lol there from Arizona they come here for summertime

That's it cypress island is a 15 min boat ride from my house or my sister 's house she lives on guimuss island I have been by those fish pens a hundred times I never knew what kind of fish they had in them I always thought it was COHO OR CHINOOK hmmmm some are say it was a few thousand others are saying over 300.000 and the fact that they didn't report it right away and that WA fish and game is kinda keeping quiet now just saying catch as many as you can makes me think bad thoughts probley more like the 300.000 number SOMEBODY IS IN DEEP DO DO and I'm not talking about the homeless craping on the streets lol

Last Edited:
Be like trout fishin:D
That's what I'm thinking there is a spot on the island that my sister lives on that when the tide is going out or in is like a river probley be able to fish from the beach with lures and bobber fish with eggs I'll have to get some quick cure and do some eggs

Just got a email from WA fish and game that said 305.000 fish in the pen that broke they are estimate is that 4 to 5 thousand escaped lol any way there are some fish out there that shouldn't be LOL

I kinda look at this like a new girlfriend lol if your dumb enough to ask this question HOW MANY GUY HAVE YOU BEEN WITH her reply 3 or 4 LOL OK MULTIPLY THAT BY 5 AND YOU GET THE CORRECT ANSWER .......

They won't be spawning, so between the sea lions and not being fed a steady diet of trout chow kibbles, I don't think that they will hurt the native fisheries as much as gill nets have done in the past.

They won't be spawning, so between the sea lions and not being fed a steady diet of trout chow kibbles, I don't think that they will hurt the native fisheries as much as gill nets have done in the past.
True but unfortunately they didn't report the release until the tribe Fisher men started catching them lol in there Gill nets mmmmm I guess it happened on Sunday but they didn't report till Monday night when Indian Fisher men started catching them

Not a salmon fan in general, but I like the East Coast Girls the best! They are just milder and the ones I've had were firmer fleshed than the Pacific fishes.

Not a salmon fan in general, but I like the East Coast Girls the best! They are just milder and the ones I've had were firmer fleshed than the Pacific fishes.

Sarge, I normally agree with 99.99% of what you post...but that is just plain wrong! How can ANYONE say Atlantic is better than say..sockeye? I mean, Atlantic's have no flavor! Well, unless you smoke the heck out of them! ;)

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

August 22, 2017
Michelle Dunlop, (360) 902-2255

WDFW encourages anglers to fish for escaped Atlantic salmon

OLYMPIA – State salmon managers are encouraging anglers to fish for thousands of Atlantic salmon that escaped recently from a salmon farm near the San Juan Islands.

Cooke Aquaculture notified the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) of a net pen failure on Aug. 19 that caused the release of Atlantic salmon from the Cypress Island location. About 305,000 salmon were in the net pen at the time, though the company initially estimated that only 4,000-5,000 fish have escaped. Cypress Island lies along Rosario Strait between Guemes and Blakely islands

"Our first concern, of course, is to protect native fish species," said Ron Warren, head of WDFW's Fish Program. "So we'd like to see as many of these escaped fish caught as possible."

Warren said there is no evidence that these fish pose a threat to native fish populations, either through disease or crossbreeding with Pacific salmon. To date, there is no record of Atlantic salmon successfully reproducing with Pacific salmon in Washington's waters, he said.

"It will be some time before we know how many fish escaped the net pens," Warren said. "That's why we've authorized Cooke Aquaculture to fish with beach seine nets and we're encouraging anglers to go out and harvest these fish."

The escaped fish are estimated to be eight to 10 pounds in size and are safe to eat.

There is no size or catch limit on Atlantic salmon. However, anglers may only fish for Atlantic salmon in marine waters that are already open to fishing for Pacific salmon or freshwater areas open for trout fishing. Anglers also must stop fishing for Atlantic salmon once they've caught their daily limit of Pacific salmon.

To help anglers identify Atlantic salmon, WDFW has posted a salmon identification guide on its webpage at Atlantic Salmon Identification & Information | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Anglers must have a current fishing license and must also observe gear regulations identified in the 2017-18 sport fishing rules pamphlet. Anglers do not have to report Atlantic salmon on their catch record cards.

WDFW shares management authority with the state Department of Agriculture for monitoring fish diseases. Other state departments, local governments and tribal governments have authority related to the siting of marine aquaculture and water quality.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email ([email protected]). For more information, see Accessing Washington's Outdoors | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.

<broken link removed>

This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: News Releases | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.html

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews