JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kind of an interesting read from the state website. Looks as though the released Atlantic Salmon functions like a welfare mother once out in the wild. Its unable to feed itself...

• Review of exiting biological data suggests that escaped Atlantic salmon do not pose significant risk to native fish populations, however, the biological impacts from the recent (1996, 1997, 1999) escapes in Washington are still being evaluated. The large escapes coupled with the findings of naturally-produced Atlantic salmon juveniles on Vancouver Island in 1998 and 1999 are cause for WDFW to continue to be focused on this issue.
  • Competition - Evidence indicates non-native species do not compete well against native fish species; only a small percentage of Atlantic salmon recovered from marine waters have preyed on fish; there have been no observations of Atlantic's eating fish or fish eggs in fresh water. Atlantic salmon which have escaped from net pens near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, have successfully reproduced in three rivers. Their offspring rearing in those river were able to survive for at least a year after hatching. It is unknown if their was presence was detrimental to the wild fish stocks.
  • Predation - There is no evidence of predation by Atlantic salmon in fresh water, and only limited evidence in salt water. Most (>94%) of escaped Atlantic salmon examined have had empty stomachs.
  • Disease transfer - Consideration was given to the transfer of fish pathogens from captive and escaped Atlantic salmon to native salmon stocks. There is no evidence which indicates disease transfer from Atlantic salmon to native Pacific salmon. Fish pathogens infecting Atlantic salmon are endemic to Washington and appear to come from native fish stocks, both salmonids and non-salmonids.
  • Hybridization - The risk of escaped Atlantic salmon hybridizing with native salmonids is low. Research has demonstrated it is very difficult, even under optimal laboratory conditions, to cross-breed between Pacific and Atlantic salmon and produce viable offspring. Should this rare event occur in the wild, the offspring would be functionally sterile and incapable of reproduction.
  • Colonization - Evidence suggests this is an unlikely event; attempts to establish Atlantic salmon outside the Atlantic Ocean have failed; accidental releases of juvenile Atlantic's have not produced adults; intentional releases of Atlantic salmon smolts by WDFW failed to produce adults; evidence on Vancouver Island indicates escaped Atlantic salmon successfully produced juvenile Atlantic salmon, however, there is no evidence that these "wild" Atlantic salmon have returned to their natal stream and successfully spawned. Though juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in three streams, they are not considered to be "established" in British Columbia. In total, Atlantic salmon which have escaped from pens have been observed in approximately 77 streams/rivers in British Columbia and 12 streams in Washington State. To date, no naturally-produced juvenile or adult Atlantic salmon have been found in Washington, in spite of extensive monitoring of outmigrating Pacific salmon smolts in the streams and rivers of the state.
Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) - Aquatic Invasive Species | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
YEP I been reading some stuff too obvious some people freak out and others are not worried about it lol only time will tell the good news is the fishing should be good for s few days

Not allowing Atlantic salmon fish farms in the Northwest because "it might harm the environment" would just be more unnecessary anti-free market gubbermint job killing regulations. :rolleyes:
OK I'll agree with that but why not keep Atlantic salmon in the Atlantic and raise pacific salmon in the pacific I know pacific salmon don't do so well in the pens oh well it is what it is

OK I'll agree with that but why not keep Atlantic salmon in the Atlantic and raise pacific salmon in the pacific I know pacific salmon don't do so well in the pens oh well it is what it is

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's ok to have a law so stupid stuff like this doesn't happen because some careless guy wanted to make a quick buck and we all get screwed over as a result.

YEP I been reading some stuff too obvious some people freak out and others are not worried about it lol only time will tell the good news is the fishing should be good for s few days

Just go fishing with a kibble of dog food on the hook and you should catch tons. Those Atlantic farm raised Salmon taste like hatchery trout to me. Dog food.

I kinda look at this like a new girlfriend lol if your dumb enough to ask this question HOW MANY GUY HAVE YOU BEEN WITH her reply 3 or 4 LOL OK MULTIPLY THAT BY 5 AND YOU GET THE CORRECT ANSWER .......

I shoulda taken it seriously when my ex said it was about 100. :eek:o_O:mad:

Economics of consumerism vis a vis salmon in the fishcase of stores in my area:

Atlantic salmon @ Safeway = $7.99 - $9.99

Other salmon = $17.00 - $25.99

I buy Atlantic salmon from the store at times. I never buy other salmon, for the price I could go fish for them instead. Sheesh I remember when I thought "smoked" salmon to be expensive.

Edit: Oh how I miss my poor dear Chetco River!!!!

Last Edited:
Economics of consumerism vis a vis salmon in the fishcase of stores in my area:

Atlantic salmon @ Safeway = $7.99 - $9.99

Other salmon = $17.00 - $25.99

I buy Atlantic salmon from the store at times. I never buy other salmon, for the price I could go fish for them instead. Sheesh I remember when I thought "smoked" salmon to be expensive.
I never buy salmon from the store or Dunginess crab my sister and her husband own two fishing boats lol besides I could walk down to the dock and buy it from the native American Fisher men lol NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

Since the late 50's the Oregon fisheries department used to stock Atlantic salmon in Cascade lakes. It evidently ended that a few years ago. I remember all the hail hosannas when the Great Lakes were stocked with Pacific salmon in the 60's. They were like kids in a candy store. Heck, back there they sport catch more Pacific salmon than we do today.

Try using fine mesh tied on the end with red yarn. Although you may get some odd glances if your kibble box shows, Just tell them it is your snacks.:confused:;):):eek::oops::rolleyes: Although it has been awhile since I have fished.

As a commercial Salmon fisherman I really hope all this bad press for the farmed salmon put an end to their pens here in the NW. I encourage all of you to do some reading on their pens and how they dye the meat.

The news just said more than 4 or 5 thousand escaped but they are not catching them on hook and line these fish have been fed all there lives most will not survive in the wild some will but most will die or be caught in nets one of the fishing family 's on the island where my sister lives went out and got some with there sainer and where giving them away to people on the island today the charter boats have not got any using hook and line or downriggers and flasher gear

Just found out today that over 300.000 Atlantic salmon where released into the waters up here in the SAN JAUN ISLANDS when the net pen broke on Monday WA fish and game are telling all Fisher men to go out and catch them no limits catch as many as you can they are consider a invasive species to this area
Since the late 50's the Oregon fisheries department used to stock Atlantic salmon in Cascade lakes. It evidently ended that a few years ago. I remember all the hail hosannas when the Great Lakes were stocked with Pacific salmon in the 60's. They were like kids in a candy store. Heck, back there they sport catch more Pacific salmon than we do today.

That's because they know how to manage the fisheries. Here on the West coast it's just politics as usual, nothing gets done so they say they need more money to fix it then the next year it's the same old sh!t!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Well maybe I have to take out my new flasher to catch them lol the pole dancer IMAG1107.jpg IMAG1104.jpg

Atlantics have been in the NW for some time. Pass Lake, near Anacortes, received a plant some years back. They grew up to 10 lbs. and fought like hell. A lake planted in the Olympics produced 5 - 8 lb. fish. Oregon planted them in Hosmer Lake and they grew to 4 - 5 lbs. Lee Wulff, a well known fly fisherman, started the 20 - 20 club. You had to catch an atlantic that was at least 20 lbs. on a size 20, or smaller, fly. A lot of people are in that club.

In 3 - 4 months, what's left of the escapees will have figured out what to eat and they will gradually lose the effects of the net pen diet. Those fish should be fit for the table.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top