JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Genuinely curious. Let's say people get elected to "replace" those who walked out.. what happens if they decide to officially resign in protest en masse after 1 day or so in Session, after being sworn into office and after the election counts are all "done"? There'd be no chance for "emergency elections" as the session would already be underway?
Good idea in theory, good luck getting it to happen because too many get addicted to the power and perqs.

Genuinely curious. Let's say people get elected to "replace" those who walked out.. what happens if they decide to officially resign in protest en masse after 1 day or so in Session, after being sworn into office and after the election counts are all "done"? There'd be no chance for "emergency elections" as the session would already be underway?
If they resign or are kicked out of the Legislature, the County Commissioners are authorized to appoint a replacement chosen by the party of the former legislator.

Expect the Democrats to push legislation to give the Governor the authority make a choice, but not limit it by political party.

My guide to Oregon Democratic Party decisions: What would the Chinese Communist Party do?

Dunno.

However what's the likelihood of politicians resigning en masse in the US?

The morons returned to allow quarum, rather than continuing the walkout. They could have just continued the walkout blocking. Their consequences would have been exactly the same as they are now.

If they resign or are kicked out of the Legislature, the County Commissioners are authorized to appoint a replacement chosen by the party of the former legislator.

Expect the Democrats to push legislation to give the Governor the authority make a choice, but not limit it by political party.

My guide to Oregon Democratic Party decisions: What would the Chinese Communist Party do?
This is actually not dissimilar to how Canada's Senate works, with the PM appointing to life-until-age-75 terms.

Dunno.

However what's the likelihood of politicians resigning en masse in the US?
About as likely as them doing the honorable thing and cleansing their souls via mass ritual seppuku.

There's a part of me that's glad I will never get to have my Shogunate-For-A-Day...

It's the only weapon they have left to block unconstitutional laws by denying quorum. Otherwise democrats will pass any law they please with their supermajority. At that point Republicans are just token stooges in the assembly.
It's not the legislature's job to determine constitutionality, that's up to the judicial branch

Sadly all of it still comes down to the voters. OR is getting just what it has been saying it wants. Sadly many get hurt who did not want this but, more pain is needed to wake up more people. :s0092:
Sadly your statement is not factual. I have been voting against this carp, educated as many as I can, donated, volunteered, and have done so my entire life here and I don't get what "I wished for". This overused statement gets old and does more harm than good, I agree with your sentiment but, alienating good fellow people will not get what we are working towards. Please use other language when generalizing an entire state.

Sadly your statement is not factual. I have been voting against this carp, educated as many as I can, donated, volunteered, and have done so my entire life here and I don't get what "I wished for". This overused statement gets old and does more harm than good, I agree with your sentiment but, alienating good fellow people will not get what we are working towards. Please use other language when generalizing an entire state.
The sad fact is the majority rule when it comes to voting. Sorry this fact hurts you. If you want someone to lie to you to make you feel better I am sure you could find someone to do so. I am sure you do vote against it but a LOT of people vote for just what they are getting. A LOT of people do champion giving up and telling anyone who will listen to them to no longer bother. I have never quite understood how that is going to fix anything but, if it makes them feel better? Why not. The only way OR and WA will get "better" is when enough people feel enough pain to decide to change things. If that truth alienates people they can join the crowd who tells everyone to give up I guess. :s0092:

It's not the legislature's job to determine constitutionality, that's up to the judicial branch
Not necessarily. We pay quite a bit of money for legal staff to comb through bills and measures to make sure they are going to pass legal scrutiny before they are presented. Likewise, legislators DO have responsibility to act within the law. I believe you're over simplifying the separation of powers. If we carried your statement out father, we could conclude that following our laws isn't necessary and that we can do what ever we want until someone decides to prosecute. I believe there is a moral standard that we expect from ourselves and the people we elect to represent us.

Not necessarily. We pay quite a bit of money for legal staff to comb through bills and measures to make sure they are going to pass legal scrutiny before they are presented. Likewise, legislators DO have responsibility to act within the law. I believe you're over simplifying the separation of powers. If we carried your statement out father, we could conclude that following our laws isn't necessary and that we can do what ever we want until someone decides to prosecute. I believe there is a moral standard that we expect from ourselves and the people we elect to represent us.
A LARGE part of the problem looks easy to see when you get past local law makers. Look how many people spend millions of dollars for a job that pays a couple hundred K a year. Then ask why they are willing to spend that kind of money for that job. Easy to see why we end up with what we do. Then the even better part is the ones who go into office lower middle class and leave multi millionaires. Hey Ben was right, we do get the gov we deserve :(

A LARGE part of the problem looks easy to see when you get past local law makers. Look how many people spend millions of dollars for a job that pays a couple hundred K a year. Then ask why they are willing to spend that kind of money for that job. Easy to see why we end up with what we do. Then the even better part is the ones who go into office lower middle class and leave multi millionaires. Hey Ben was right, we do get the gov we deserve :(
Again, I believe we should be spending more time moving forward and looking for ways to improve our current situation than on dissecting the past and self defeating rhetoric. I'm convinced that, had there been more involvement from the right, the outcome of the election would have been different on several fronts. We win wars by winning battles, one at a time. I don't think that we're to the point of full retreat as some are saying. There are ways to get involved and stay involved and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that it takes hard work.

Again, I believe we should be spending more time moving forward and looking for ways to improve our current situation than on dissecting the past and self defeating rhetoric. I'm convinced that, had there been more involvement from the right, the outcome of the election would have been different on several fronts. We win wars by winning battles, one at a time. I don't think that we're to the point of full retreat as some are saying. There are ways to get involved and stay involved and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that it takes hard work.
I am talking about what is happening today, and in the future elections. I will never give up and will go down swinging. There are plenty who gave up and try to encourage anyone who will listen to them to give up. Every election we see it. We will soon be seeing it again next year as election time gets close. As for looking back a wise man once said those who do not learn from history keep repeating it. Boy are we ever seeing that here. Don't look back, so just keep making the same mistakes again. :confused:
Hey working great in WA and OR, lets keep looking forward and ignore the mistakes of the past. When people start to feel enough pain they may stop and look back and think its time to change.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top