JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of good points made.

Hard to really portray my thoughts. Most here are jumping to a conclusions on age and budget and such.

I think My thoughts are based on age and experience, combined with politics.

My AR15 journey started at the end of the Clinton AWB by buying a lower. I went high end components at that time, which was a complete Adams Arms piston upper. Which has since come down in price over the years. Spending good money on the upper and lower receiver components including a nice EOtech, which again, at the time was kind of the best and pricey.

The market is so much different then it was back then. I think my opinions on ARs has changed a lot too.

Just adding some more perspective to the mix.

My home built ARs are exactly what I want. I didn't compromise on parts. I guess I don't see how factory high end beats custom high end. Then again, a particular homebrew ar of mine crossed 1k pretty handily, But it has a nice scope, bipod and such. I homebuild because I get exactly what I want the first time. I have my ARs set up quite different.
I don't think there is too much difference. If one, it would be that some higher end companies do a lot of hand fitting. When you buy your components you don't get to hand select them from a batch, you get what you get.

I don't think there is too much difference. If one, it would be that some higher end companies do a lot of hand fitting. When you buy your components you don't get to hand select them from a batch, you get what you get.
I actually think its the opposite, and they get to hide a lot of things too that the customer can easily return upon inspection.

theres a lot of nice high end rifles out there but I don't think they are the end-all measure of quality.

I'm just curious, how much hand fitting goes into building an AR15?

Most guns I adore are from the early 1800s to the Cold War. Most guns made past that I don't care for. Mostly because that's when most of the innovations in firearms was. Nowadays, new rifles don't really interest me. Until plasma rifles (which I doubt would happen), nothing new under the sun IMHO.

I don't know how much, but I would guess to the point that the lower and upper don't rattle? Even though that rattles doesn't really mean anything.

Definitely not a lot.

I'm referring to companies that go the extra mile to fit the upper, lower, handguard to each other, then cerakote them together for a uniform finish. Match a bolt to a barrel. That kind of stuff.

Similar to how high end 1911 manufactures build their pistols.

Definitely not a lot.

I'm referring to companies that go the extra mile to fit the upper, lower, handguard to each other, then cerakote them together for a uniform finish. Match a bolt to a barrel. That kind of stuff.

Similar to how high end 1911 manufactures build their pistols.

I dont know... I could be wrong but most everything on a high end 1911 is hand fitted including the action and timing. AR15s I think need the upper receiver faced square to the barrel.. not certain, I think everything else is plug and play.

I think if your wanting an AR with a uniform finish and matching color then a high end company is the way to go. I think there are some reputable companies out there that make a great high end rifle and the fit and finish will show it. I do like a lot of the high end custom builds I see people building but I think it wouldn't be cost effective to custom build and try to match colors or finish like custom matching cerakote upper and lower and handguard....

v11msp_l_02-151-00257-047.jpg

Ya Daniel Defense is definitely on my radar. I really like the custom blue they cerakote their rifles in.
mk18_tor_l_02-088-05192.jpg

This guy is looking pretty good too. Checks all the right boxes on the list.

STE916556_2000xN.png

The only reason to buy a factory rifle imo would be resale. A home build, no matter how nice will not hold value like a rifle backed by a large manufacturer. And companies like Colt and Arimilite, DD, Knights Armament will probably hold up(value wise) better than most because of thier Gov ties.
As a collector there are several older colts and special service variants that I would love to have.. A Colt Deta Hbar, and a MK12 Mod0 being tops... But for new production the KAC SR15 mod2 is the only factory AR15 that Id consider shelling out for... this torture test is very convincing advertisement... 20,000 rds, no cleaning, and only 1 "malfunction" that was later confirmed to be an ammo issue.KAC SR-15 Mod 2

Last Edited:
The only reason to buy a factory rifle imo would be resale. A home build, no matter how nice will not hold value like a rifle backed by a large manufacturer. And companies like Colt and Arimilite, DD, Knights Armament will probably hold up(value wise) better than most because of thier Gov ties.
As a collector there are several older colts and special service variants that I would love to have.. A Colt Deta Hbar, and a MK12 Mod0 being tops... But for new production the KAC SR15 mod3 is the only factory AR15 that Id consider shelling out for... this torture test is very convincing advertisement... 20,000 rds, no cleaning, and only 1 "malfunction" that was later confirmed to be an ammo issue.KAC SR-15 Mod 2
Good read on that knights armament.

Good read on that knights armament.
I'm pretty sure it's the bolt design. The lugs are rounded giving the soot, and other detritus room to be moved out of the way, The SRC reliabolt is a similar design that could yield the same results on a home build. I know lots of guys that swear by them. Jon at NWCustomFA told me it's all he uses.

I'm pretty sure it's the bolt design. The lugs are rounded giving the soot, and other detritus room to be moved out of the way, The SRC reliabolt is a similar design that could yield the same results on a home build. I know lots of guys that swear by them. Jon at NWCustomFA told me it's all he uses.
Ya, I've got a similar one on one of my current builds. A Surplus Ammo bolt. I haven't tortured tested it like that article, but seems to be okay running dirty. (That last part will likely end up in another thread).
SAA_Enhanced_Bolt_0_s__45545.1489091854.jpg

Ya, I've got a similar one on one of my current builds. A Surplus Ammo bolt. I haven't tortured tested it like that article, but seems to be okay running dirty. (That last part will likely end up in another thread).
View attachment 419156
Actually it appears to be identical to the sharps bolt... same material (s7 tool steel) and quality control testing as well... and $100 for a complete NIB coated BCG?! Think I might have to get one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top