JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had a ah-ha moment with a recent purchase that factory made AR15s can be very nice when purchased in the mid to upper level.

I used to have a bunch and have slowly gotten down to a handful. They are all home builds. I was thinking a really nice factory gun would be a change. Like a Daniel Defense or similar.

Would you kill three to get one nice?

Kind of like selling three Toyota Camry to get a Supra.

Thoughts?

If you want a DD and can afford it-do it. But don't do it because you think you're upping the quality level.
I collect AR-15/M16's and that started back when they were known as SP-1's. Bought that first SP-1 w/4x Colt for $430.00 tax and 100rns of white box included from Shooter's Supply. I've been offered $2,800.00 and just politely smiled and said no. That rifle will still shoot dime sized groups off my bench @100 yrds using my home loads. I have a Colt Delta H-Bar that is one half of a pair, the other being the Delta Elite 10mm. That rifle shoots good as well. I have not bought a new AR since I discovered jigs and 80% receivers and doubt that I ever will. Please understand that I'm not trying to brag here, but I promise you I can build an AR that will match any top of the line factory AR in accuracy and looks for no more than half (and usually less) of the cost of that Primo factory one. There is no reason why you can't either should you choose to. Just my:s0159:

Last Edited:
I can't get myself to spend all the extra cash on those top shelf brands. I went with all high quality stuff (minus my bcg, which is a psa) it outshoots (maybe me? I dont shoot much..) all my friends rifles including the high end stuff whenever ive went out recently. If those are better, I dont think I could tell. 1 malfunction which seemed to be a magazine issue (maybe buffer tube. I was loading the mags full. Pmags dont mind, but a lancer jammed up)

If you want a DD and can afford it-do it. But don't do it because you think you're upping the quality level.
I collect AR-15/M16's and that started back when they were known as SP-1's. Bought that first SP-1 w/4x Colt for $430.00 tax and 100rns of white box included from Shooter's Supply. I've been offered $2,800.00 and just politely smiled and said no. That rifle will still shoot dime sized groups off my bench @100 yrds using my home loads. I have a Colt Delta H-Bar that was one half of a pair, the other being the Delta Elite 10mm. That rifle shoots good as well. I have not bought a new AR since I discovered jigs and 80% receivers and doubt that I ever will. Please understand that I'm not trying to brag here, but I promise you I can build an AR that will match any top of the line factory AR in accuracy and looks for no more than half (and usually less) of the cost of that Primo factory one. There is no reason why you can't either should you choose to. Just my:s0159:
A Delta Hbar/Delta Elite pair is at the top of my list... you might not be bragging, but I'm still jealous!
I consider the Delta Hbar the Ruben Sandwich of fire arms...
the components on their own... Tasco Rubberized 3-9, cheek riser, delta grips are blah... but together :s0155:... Just as corned beef, Swiss, kraut, and Rye are unsavory when tasted separately, But together with a little thou Islands... Delicious!

I started with one higher end AR and now I have a few of varying levels. My all time favorite is the one I built myself. It was built with standard parts, but it shoots well.

As I get older I keep telling myself to thin the herd. I wouldn't sell the one I built (which probably isn't worth that much) but I can see myself selling the higher end ones.

My "Service Rifle" legal Highpower competition rifle. Leupold 1.5-4X red dot scope.
Rock River front floated hand guard. White Oak 20" 1/7 barrel. 4.5 pound minimum
required pull weight, 2-stage Geissele trigger. Magpul UBR stock. Mix master I put together
myself using mostly Rock River parts. Shot good last weekend at the match with a
196-6X at the 600 yard slow fire prone stage.:D:D
DSC00157.JPG

I have had AR-15's for 22 years, my first being a Colt SP101. After that I had a bunch and finally bought a Daniel Defense in the milspec brown. I am very happy with it and no longer consider other AR's.

One good one.
It doesn't have to be the most expensive, newest, fanciest piece, but it damn well better be reliable and accurate.

This applies to many more things than guns.

Ya, it took awhile, considering the age of this thread. I am down to one really nice AR now.

My personal feeling is that branding means very little anymore in terms of quality.
If a particular brand is known to be of higher quality then that's fine, pay a little extra and get the better part, piece, or tool.
If it's just a rollmark with no intrinsic value beyond bragging rights and name recognition, I'll keep looking for the superior unit.

Last Edited:
I've had a ah-ha moment with a recent purchase that factory made AR15s can be very nice when purchased in the mid to upper level.

I used to have a bunch and have slowly gotten down to a handful. They are all home builds. I was thinking a really nice factory gun would be a change. Like a Daniel Defense or similar.

Would you kill three to get one nice?

Kind of like selling three Toyota Camry to get a Supra.

Thoughts?

Yep, I sold off the cheaper & high end ARs and bought a Daewoo K2 ... I kept a basic colt AR as a back-up rifle. IMG_4560.JPG

Last Edited:
I find that the BCG, barrel and trigger are the most important parts of the AR platform and as long as you don't skimp on quality there you're doing alright. I don't like to skimp on quality in general so I don't generally build ARs that come out under $1,500 even on sale but... I also don't like gimmicky junk which can sometimes cost more too. Reputable names only. It may defend your life one day so why cheap out?

Excellent necrothread reserection!
I shed a tear reading through it again.... a couple of my favorite NWFAers on the first couple pages no longer in the conversation.

That said almost a year later.. my opinion is the same. You need more than one... but they all need to be "good ones"..
You can get away with 2, but I Need my 3 favorites.
-18" SPR... Super accurate for precision work and getting some distance... Light trigger and heavy though so It's not great off the bench.
-Colt Commando.. 11.5" mines pistol(AOW technically) until I can SBR stamp it, it's portable, rugged, full SOCOM Block 1 kit.. perfect for short to medium range.
-300 BO pistol. "Scarlett"... my favorite. With SubSonic Ammo.. nice and quiet suppressed. She has a Law folder so fits in my go bag and goes everywhere with me. Pistol so legal to carry in the car, and damm is she sexy.
Between those three there is close to 10gs retail counting Optics and suppression. I can't imagine getting rid of any of them. It has taken a lot of upgrading over time to get them there, but I started all of them around a great barrel... Noveske, Colt, and Balistics Advantage Hansen respectively.... Never ever skimp on the barrel!

I am buying parts to finish my final lower. I bought a BCM lower parts kit that includes a pistol grip and a trigger group. Got the Magpul stock and an buffer tube assembly and spring. I am just wondering should I get another 5.56x45 upper receiver or should I get a 300 AAC Blackout upper instead. I know i need to label the magazines differently and the ammunition is higher priced as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top