JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a ah-ha moment with a recent purchase that factory made AR15s can be very nice when purchased in the mid to upper level.

I used to have a bunch and have slowly gotten down to a handful. They are all home builds. I was thinking a really nice factory gun would be a change. Like a Daniel Defense or similar.

Would you kill three to get one nice?

Kind of like selling three Toyota Camry to get a Supra.

Thoughts?

Nope... you can't have just one. You need a 16" carbine, an 18" SPR, a 20"DMR, a shorty SBR or Postol(or both)... at least 1 with an A2 upper. Then a couple in 300bo, a 6.5 grendel, a 458 socom, 50 beowulf... ,224 valkyrie sounds intriguing, or .22 Nosler...all in different barrel lengths. Then on to the AR10 platform and a .308, and a 6.5 creedmore.....

I've had a ah-ha moment with a recent purchase that factory made AR15s can be very nice when purchased in the mid to upper level.

I used to have a bunch and have slowly gotten down to a handful. They are all home builds. I was thinking a really nice factory gun would be a change. Like a Daniel Defense or similar.

Would you kill three to get one nice?

Kind of like selling three Toyota Camry to get a Supra.

Thoughts?
Wouldn't that really be like selling 3 Toyota Camery's to get one really, Really nice Lexus?

Just opinion now so don't blow a gasket.:D Age and wisdom comes along with a higher earning capacity and that is what brings out the question, quantity or quality. Young men go for quantty more because they have less expearience in shooting in general but not in all cases. Older men, after shooting for a while, realize a higher quality gun makes a difference but they only realize it after making enough money to buy better guns and compare.

What the world needs is quality because that high standard gives all the gun companies a reason to strive to do better. A good name is worth the effort.

And now back to our regular scheduled program:confused:

Older men, after shooting for a while, realize a higher quality gun makes a difference but they only realize it after making enough money to buy better guns and compare.
And what would you call 'older men' who have been shooting for longer than 'a while' and started as 'younger men' with high quality guns to begin with and are still shooting them and never needed to feel they needed to change other than to maybe acquire more 'high quality' guns?

Just opinion now so don't blow a gasket.:D Age and wisdom comes along with a higher earning capacity and that is what brings out the question, quantity or quality. Young men go for quantty more because they have less expearience in shooting in general but not in all cases. Older men, after shooting for a while, realize a higher quality gun makes a difference but they only realize it after making enough money to buy better guns and compare.

What the world needs is quality because that high standard gives all the gun companies a reason to strive to do better. A good name is worth the effort.

This is exactly why the bolt action market has been flooded with cheapo rifles. I used to make fun of Tikka for plastic trigger guards, magazines, and bolt shrouds. Now, they are fancy compared to Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, Winchester XPRs, etc.

If you need a high end AR or similar you should get one. Again, if you need one. If you just want one and can afford it great. But is the high end market better for the majority of AR shooters compared to a sub $1k rifle? Not from what I have seen.

And what would you call 'older men' who have been shooting for longer than 'a while' and started as 'younger men' with high quality guns to begin with and are still shooting them and never needed to feel they needed to change other than to maybe acquire more 'high quality' guns?

I pointed out in most cases, :D I don't believe most of the young guys have the money to buy quality. I didn't as a young man but the guns of my youth were probably better than the guns of today are in general. Again just opinion but life is full of "good enough" and no need to find better. Over time in my own life I have learned to appreciate better guns, I still haven't shot them all but you can really see the difference on paper.

No gasket blown here. Your pretty much spot on.

If you need a high end AR or similar you should get one. Again, if you need one. If you just want one and can afford it great. But is the high end market better for the majority of AR shooters compared to a sub $1k rifle? Not from what I have seen.
Yes and no. Yes there really is no difference between shootabiliy or accuracy of an expensive AR and a budget built AR. However refinements come with the expensive factory built ones that I've grown to appreciate.

With multiples, you can open up the Arms Locker and organize a Household Fire Team should uninvited guests need an Unwelcoming Committee. One, it's just you to respond.

This.

We have a bunch of AR's, they all shoot equally well for what we do.

So I guess it boils down to what you want out of the tools, and wether or not the tools you have can do it.

Now, if your going for form over function, that's a different story all together. Then get whatever makes you feel good.

If there was ever a Graboid problem in southern Idaho... he's their Burt Gummer.
1C034D2D-0767-4B69-9AB3-3DC0C9D1F946-3006-00000467B97771CD_tmp.png

This.

We have a bunch of AR's, they all shoot equally well for what we do.

So I guess it boils down to what you want out of the tools, and wether or not the tools you have can do it.

Now, if your going for form over function, that's a different story all together. Then get whatever makes you feel good.
What I would do given budget would be have a locker of mostly good-ish GP's to hand out, and one or two higher-end DMR's or SPR's for anybody who showed real RO&TS aptitude. Once that's done, maybe a small handful of CQB type builds for "holding the house" and covering retreat in case the perimeter's breached and it's time to fallback toward the Panic Room.

Last Edited:
How bad do you want your "upper shelf" AR rifle?
If you are happy with how your home built rifles work and shoot , would you regret selling or trading something off , that works fine , for something that works the same , but has a "cool" or status name?
I do however , understand the desire for a "upper" shelf or custom gun...they can, at times , give you many features that you just can't find anywhere else.

While not AR type rifle...each gun below has a different feel and use ...but to many folks the all just look like the same old antique gun.
Some of the guns are indeed shooters and some are just for study...but the enjoyment I get from showing and telling about these guns is immense.

Not all rifles are equal to the same task...and having a dedicated gun to a certain task can make sense....
That said I do believe in the old adage of : "Beware of the man who only has one gun..."
Everyone should have a favorite rifle that they turn to and won't let them down.
Your home built rifle may have features you can't get with off the shelf model , even a upper shelf one.

Lastly in this long ramble , I have traded and sold many old and new guns to get this collection...some guns I have traded off with no regrets...others are the "one that got away..."
And more to the point do you really want advice from a guy who has a table or two that looks like this?...:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews