JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A highly skilled rifleman is a work of art...I strive to measure up to this level.
I do agree its better to be highly skilled with a run of the mill rifle , than to have the coolest rifle on the range and have no idea how to shoot it well.
Andy

@AndyinEverson that picture defines the new york reload!

I'm patient. I appreciate all the input.

I would love a really nice AR someday. I keep getting emails from manufacturers like Radian and Noveske and can't help feel like they would be amazing.

I had a Noveske, and it shot great. I have several home builds that run on Anderson lowers with PSA and BCA uppers. They shoot great as well.

I'm the opposite of you, I've lost interest in off the shelf AR's and enjoy rolling my own.

I had a Noveske, and it shot great. I have several home builds that run on Anderson lowers with PSA and BCA uppers. They shoot great as well.

I'm the opposite of you, I've lost interest in off the shelf AR's and enjoy rolling my own.
I've built so many. Lots of different variations.

I've found my two faves are a light light light 16" carbine for competition work or range fun, and a 10.5" for self defense SHTF stuff as well as range fun.

Daniel Defense has a pistol MK18 variant that looks pretty slick. As does Radian Weapons model 1 in the pistol 10.5" variant. I don't think noveske makes something like those currently but their rifles are really nice too.

Really... A guy needs at least couple of cheap AR's.... And he needs a couple of nice AR's... Then he really should have a few AR's in other calibers... And its just prudent to have back ups for any that have important roles... And once you have all those you will find reasons to that you really need others to boot....

Really... A guy needs at least couple of cheap AR's.... And he needs a couple of nice AR's... Then he really should have a few AR's in other calibers... And its just prudent to have back ups for any that have important roles... And once you have all those you will find reasons to that you really need others to boot....
I've seen your pictures. You've probably got ARs lying around that you have forgotten existed! :p

I got my hands on several "basic" ARs when the deals presented themselves. I took one and have slowly improved it to make it much nicer and the way I want it to be. Like everything gun related, the proper answer is to get both (or more). One nice AR, built to your personal spec is great. A more basic backup gun or two, even better. I see no reason in being buried under a pile of $400 ARs, as fun as that would be, but I'd hate to only have just one, regardless of how nice it is. Factory offerings don't interest me, I want to specify each and every component on the gun. Starting with a cheap AR taught me what I wanted for my nice one.

A highly skilled rifleman is a work of art...I strive to measure up to this level.
I do agree its better to be highly skilled with a run of the mill rifle , than to have the coolest rifle on the range and have no idea how to shoot it well.
Andy
Or do both. Have the "coolest" rifle on the range and be skilled with it. :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I purposely go to the range when there's little to no one there so I spend more time shooting than waiting. So the coolest rifle on the range is always the one I have with me. ;)

I didn't as a young man but the guns of my youth were probably better than the guns of today are in general.
I fall into this 'demographic' by virtue of age myself and at the time all rifles had wood stocks, wheelguns were the norm and about the only semi auto pistols I thought about were 1911s & High Powers. While I was beginning to see the introduction of more SA pistols and a few SA rifles I didn't give much thought to it at the time as I was involved in a lot of hunting (varmint & big game) and that was my preference even while still in my teens & early 20s. Point is I did have limited buying power but what I did buy was few and quality over quantity and cheap.

Yes and no. Yes there really is no difference between shootabiliy or accuracy of an expensive AR and a budget built AR. However refinements come with the expensive factory built ones that I've grown to appreciate.
Depends on where you want to go? Expensive to me means more accurate. If not
what are you paying for? A name?:eek: Reliability is expected even in a cheap build.
The proof is in what is winning at the match.:rolleyes:
I have been shooting High Power competition for +30 years. We don't see these
Daniel Defense or similar exspensive rifles on the firing line. What makes the
difference in accuracy is the barrel and trigger. Top competitors are using
Compass Lake Engineering(CLE) or White Oak Armament(WOA) with Krieger/WOA barrels.
These rifles are capable of sub .5 MOA out to 600 yards!:rolleyes: You can put a WOA
or Krieger barrel on your cheap upper and shoot shoot .5 MOA with good ammo.
To me it is about results. If there is no difference in accuracy of an exspensive vs
a budget build your are getting hosed.:confused:

Some ARs are more expensive by virtue of being a piston AR (smaller market), some because of accuracy, some because of quality, and some because of name.

Not in the AR game anymore but that's what it was like when I did like ARs anyways.

Over time, I carried M16A1's made by Hydra-Matic, Colt, General Motors Corp, and even Mattel (yes, the toy company unicorn I chuckle over when reading about them on the interwebs).... all of them were batch-lots from the lowest bidder, most were "two-tone" uppers from lowers, some were "Colt grey", some were deep rich black, but mostly the finish was worn from all the leading edges and high spots, but they all got the job done effectively.

My point being, put your money into a good free-float barrel assembly, that's where "the money" is on the AR platform. "Cool guy" roll-marks on receivers (BTW- there's nothing wrong with those) made by only a handful of forges doesn't make them inherently "more gooder" than Joe-Bob's kit made by Anderson, nor will it make you a "super-shooter".

;)

Last Edited:
Over time, I carried M16A1's made Hydra-Matic, Colt, General Motors Corp, and even Mattel (yes, the toy company unicorn I chuckle over when reading about them on the interwebs).... all of them were batch-lots from the lowest bidder, most were "two-tone" uppers/uppers, some were "Colt grey", some were deep rich black, but mostly the finish was worn from all the leading edges and high spots, but they all got the job done effectively.

My point being, put your money into a good free-float barrel assembly, that's where "the money" is on the AR platform. "Cool guy" roll-marks on receivers (BTW- there's nothing wrong with those) made by only a handful of forges doesn't make them inherently "more gooder" than Joe-Bob's kit made by Anderson, nor will it make you a "super-shooter".

;)

I dunno... There's just something about a nice Noveske rifle that makes my sticker peck out....

Its a fact I cant shoot it any better... I am less likely to use it as the tool it should be... But damn, I just like having the thing in my hands.....

Cutting back as I get older and just don't have time for cr@p guns. All but one are nice enough that I enjoy just looking at them almost as much as shooting them. That one exception I'd feel bad about selling to anyone I like so it stays with me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews