JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spent the morning at Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, as a guest of @Camelfilter (thanks again, man - I owe you, big time).

Got to shoot lots of guns, and my takeaway is this: You guys are right - I need several of each.

But until I get super-rich, my plan is to get a .556 or an AK47 (whichever I can get into first) and put a red dot sight on it. And then get an AR10 and put a high quality scope on it.

It was surprisingly quick and easy to hit a target with a red dot sight. I have a lot to learn about selecting and using scopes. Really like using them.

It's been a very good day.

Your welcome & happy to help out! Don't owe me anything.

I stayed "a bit" longer to get some other work done, (definitely longer than I should have). Wiped me out & still feeling it!

Even then, It was a good day for sure.

It is easier to mount a red dot to an AR. Unless you intend to get a red dot made for the AK. Otherwise, you'd need a side mount and a ring for the red dot on an AK.

B22073A7-5B03-49C5-9DD3-710934F5DECF.jpeg

Works a charm, although we didn't run this type yesterday (setup for a '74).

The one on the '47 we ran, as Howard mentioned is mounted on an ultimac. Extremely handy that way. So much so, that am "thinking" on doing similar to a '74. Oddly enough the extended eye relief isn't an issue.

A little late to the party, but I will give my honest opinion. Tho I love my Arsenal AKs I would push you towards the AR in whatever caliber you want. The market for ARs right now is so low you will get the most bang for your dollar. Couple that with ammo that's not going to disappear, and a lighter, better Ergo's, more modular, etc the AR just wins in almost every category vs the AK. Again I am an AK guy but I am not biased one way or another just what makes sense to me. In the end there both accurate rifles, and you really should have both but if I had to choose one it would be the AR.

View attachment 405365

The one on the '47 we ran, as Howard mentioned is mounted on an ultimac. Extremely handy that way. So much so, that am "thinking" on doing similar to a '74. Oddly enough the extended eye relief isn't an issue.
I run optics on all my AKs, on my 107fr I have an ultimak with a PA Red dot, Sam 7 has a RS regulate with a PA 3x prism scope, 106fr has an Attero Arms mount with red dot, and my SAM5 runs the same setup as my 107fr. Lots of different setups but I like the ultimak/red dot setup best, only way I like an RS regulate is with a scope just too bulky IMO but it is what it is.

This whole discussion depends on how you are bugging out.

On foot AR-15, driving 15 and 10, bugging in one of each and a warehouse full of ammo. :)
I have always wondered about the "warehouse full of ammo" concept. If you are shooting at someone, they are likely shooting back. How many rounds do you think you can exchange before you get hit/wounded/killed?

I have always wondered about the "warehouse full of ammo" concept. If you are shooting at someone, they are likely shooting back. How many rounds do you think you can exchange before you get hit/wounded/killed?

Well it isn't always for exchanging fire with someone. It could be for hunting or defending your property from looters who are usually a bunch of fricken cowards that will run if stood against. I personally would rather have and not need than need and not have. ;)

Well it isn't always for exchanging fire with someone. It could be for hunting or defending your property from looters who are usually a bunch of fricken cowards that will run if stood against. I personally would rather have and not need than need and not have. ;)
Good point. And Camelfilter has a point, too. Practice, practice, practice = fun, fun, fun.

View attachment 405365

Eye relief is rarely ever an issue with red dots. Its with magnified optics where it becomes the issue.

Ar10, unless your a marksman better imo to know what your hitting only needs to be shot once.
Although im also the kinda person to tell you to get a 30-06 and deal with the price of ammunition

AR in 5.56... if you don't like it, use it as a gun to get a gun. You'll always find an AK in a large scale war (likely an AR15 as well). There will also likely be other guns to suit your purposes more specifically as those needs arise.
AR15's are also fairly cheap right now, where as AK's are pretty unreasonable by comparison. IMO

I vote for AR and 223. Most common ammo, parts and mags.
My go to. 223 AR with 16" 1/8 heavy match stainless barrel. Mid length gas system.
YHM float tube. Leupold 1X4 Green Firedot. Backup flip up iron sights front and rear.
Rear iron sight elevation adjustments to 600 yards.:D
DSC00142.JPG

Anything more than a cheap AR...
I might pay $400 for one if I had nothing else I wanted and I had a hole burning in my pocket...
I'm extremely bias against Russian manufacturing.

Then luckily for you, almost all of the AKs here aren't Russian made. :rolleyes: But... After the fiasco with I.O and the RAS47, I'm biased against American manufactured AKs.

The selection of rifles must be very limited if anything over $400 is unreasonable. o_O

Yeah, where ever the AK is made has little consequence to me. I still find them upsetting to my sensibilities. LoL

I'd pay a lot more for other guns, like a PTR-91 for instance.

I was honestly aiming for nonexistent by low balling it... tho I imagine they could go for $20 USD or a goat in a lot of places.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top