JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

AR or AK?

• AR is the obvious choice.

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • Nyet! AK better than flimsy Capitalist girlie junk!

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • AK, but only a modernized version like the PSAK

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Both suck. Get a SCAR, MCX, a fancy bullpup, etc., or you are just LARPing without any class

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Inspired by this Military Arms Channel video I was just thinking it's time (checks watch) for another AR vs AK thread :eek:

Appears that the War in Ukraine is showing the AK's limitations outside of daylight CQB to be a real liability. It's also noteworthy that when Biden upgraded the Taliban's weapon systems that AK's were ditched in mass for decked out M4's.

Personally I like both platforms, but prefer the AR for it's better ergos, modularity, built in pic rails and overall handling. Which do you prefer and why?

I "prefer" the AK for it's demonstrated reliability in adverse conditions think 3rd world bushwars of the '60's, 70's, 80's etc etc including several major wars like Vietnam. The more recent upgrades make it even more interesting. And I am very "used to it" over decades since the mid-1980's.
Now, that having been said, here in the States I would generally prefer the AR/Stoner platform for a more secure footing;) in the American firearms market such as- after-market, ammo choices/availability, parts/mods, more readily scope-able... the fact remains based on personal experience, that I don't trust the Stoner in adverse, wet/cold/dirty conditions- but then reports from the former soviet Union indicate that AKs can malf under dirty, dusty conditions too.
Unless of course something more powerful and long-range in .308/7.62NATO were required but that's beyond the scope of this thread..

Like any mechanical 'system', there are great ones, and crappy ones....in both AR and AK variant. I went down the AR path a long time ago, and that's where I'm staying. Nothing against the AK other than I have zero experience with them. They both have pluses and minuses. My AR's are known, predictable, reliable, and accurate. Very hard to say one is demonstrably 'better' than the other, IMHO.

Both shine in certain areas and have weaknesses in others. I would be content with either. But my choice would be the AR platform.

One thing I love about the older AK's in 7.62x39 is they pack a satisfying thump. It feels like you are shooting a rifle.

I often wonder how that first generation of guys who transitioned from the M14 to the M16 must've felt. Big change going from 7.62x51 to 5.56x45.

Up front I like both…

Story time:

I took a friends dad shooting years ago and he brought his brand new AR. I agreed cuz he has very little firearms knowledge and pass it forward etc.

After dialing it in and him getting the hang of things he says he says he bought 4 gongs and could we hang them on the stand.

I said sure and he comes back with 4 little maybe 8-10" gongs and rope…

I told him I didn't think the rope would hold but I wasn't opposed to trying. It was a little shy of 100 yards and he spends some time dialing it in and finally hits the first gong a few times and says 'see it's working'.

I had an SKS with me that day and proceeded to rip the gong off the rope. I get a 'I loosened it up for you' comment and the next 3 shots tore the other 3 off the rope.

I guess there is a time and place for everything but I wouldn't complain if in a tense situation someone handed me either platform.

The distance thing isn't a factor for me. If I have to take 300 yard plus shots I'll take a hunting rifle over either.

Kinda...That gun has been used by every enemy against us, just doesnt feel right owning one or shooting one! Kinda like not having any WWII German/Nazi memorabilia just not into it. Some are im not that guy! besides i can go 300BO or 308 if i want a bigger bang!

One thing I love about the older AK's in 7.62x39 is they pack a satisfying thump. It feels like you are shooting a rifle.

I often wonder how that first generation of guys who transitioned from the M14 to the M16 must've felt. Big change going from 7.62x51 to 5.56x45.
That is my dad, so I have a decent idea. It wasn't a positive transition for him. I remember growing up he hated everything about 5.56/AR/M16. It wasn't unit the late 2000's I was able to talk him to giving the AR another look. Last I heard he sold his M14 and 1911 and has a couple ARs and an AK and pair of Glock 19s. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?

CFD5BE8A-D41C-4C2C-A766-41B7A2C6E4F7.jpeg

Kinda...That gun has been used by every enemy against us, just doesnt feel right owning one or shooting one! Kinda like not having any WWII German/Nazi memorabilia just not into it. Some are im not that guy! besides i can go 300BO or 308 if i want a bigger bang!
Hell with that!!. Know how to use your weapon and your enemy's weapon, just might come in handy. Not to mention the AK is basically a shrunk down M14.

Some enemies have taxpayer purchased ARs , if that means anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top