JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.41 Magnum Versus 10㎜ Auto

• Make mine a .41 Magnum.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Prefer the 10㎜ Auto.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Out of an 8" Smith 57, my notes indicate the 210gr Hornady XTP, a book load of Win 296 averaged 1465fps.

There's Mr. Harrell's "substantially more" plus not a little bit. :cool:

A three-screw Blackhawk will shoot the same load well, but I have not chronographed it there.

The .41 Smith and Wesson Magnum is done no favors when it is loaded to less than its purpose which is killing: Mule Deer OR Malcontents.
Out of the 6.5" Blackhawk I had, I believe the number was 1350, give or take a little, and well over 1800fps from a 20" Marlin.

Magnum class big bore semi auto pistols deserve a whole thread of their own as several attempts have been made and are unique guns in their own genre, however they remain in gun lore obscurity. I think what happens is after a certain level of power the semi auto platform just gets to big and awkward to carry and maintain, the limited if any increase in capacity doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the simple operation and reliability of big bore revolvers.

The AMT Automag is still in production though I think their 10mm Magnums are discontinued.
Grizzly made a 50cal 1911 I think
The Desert Eagle is still in production though I think the 41 Magnums are discontinued
The 460 Rowland conversion kits are still available for 1911s and even Glocks but remain obscure in popularity.

I actually know someone who custom ordered a 1911 in 460 Rowland. The barrel blew up twice.
I hear the authentic Rowland kits are reliable but I dont know.

IMO I think in a handgun if you want big bore power the revolver is the way to go.

Magnum class big bore semi auto pistols deserve a whole thread of their own as several attempts have been made and are unique guns in their own genre, however they remain in gun lore obscurity. I think what happens is after a certain level of power the semi auto platform just gets to big and awkward to carry and maintain, the limited if any increase in capacity doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the simple operation and reliability of big bore revolvers.

The AMT Automag is still in production though I think their 10mm Magnums are discontinued.
Grizzly made a 50cal 1911 I think
The Desert Eagle is still in production though I think the 41 Magnums are discontinued
The 460 Rowland conversion kits are still available for 1911s and even Glocks but remain obscure in popularity.

I actually know someone who custom ordered a 1911 in 460 Rowland. The barrel blew up twice.
I hear the authentic Rowland kits are reliable but I dont know.

IMO I think in a handgun if you want big bore power the revolver is the way to go.
For me in terms of big power in semi auto the small platform PCC/PDW pistols are a riot. So fun to shoot and very stable. Folding or collapsable stock is critical for me to keep size down.
300 BO
697A0F88-9318-4693-99D4-9D5F2CDDEF5B.jpeg
300 BO with law tactical folding adapter
EDD08F2C-D5C8-48A4-92E7-385CF5322233.jpeg
10.5" .556 (brn-180)
4B7ACC7E-A36C-4AA8-B38F-47F33D9F885A.jpeg
82DCCB61-7D76-4A46-94AB-F0911A44E10E.jpeg

Last Edited:
A young rancher friend in Montana just sent off a Model 11 (Springfield Armory???) for the Rowland conversion. If that kid can't break a gun, it can't be broken.

So....we'll see. :cool:

A young rancher friend in Montana just sent off a Model 11 (Springfield Armory???) for the Rowland conversion. If that kid can't break a gun, it can't be broken.

So....we'll see. :cool:
10 years ago I bought a full size Springfield 1911 to convert to the Rowland. It shot so well as is I left it alone... lol. The Rowland conversion is my modern day bucket list for a big bore semi auto, it looks like they've updated their website so they must be selling strong... good. Maybe some day I will get around to it, but I still have my old 10mm thats got a lot of love and patina on it to ignore. I think the 460Rowland is probably the most practical "magnum class" round in a semi auto.

So it looks like if you had a .454 Casul you could shoot 1700 fpe loads, 1100 fpe loads, all the way down to 300 fpe 45 LC cowboy loads. That's pretty wild. Adapters would let you shoot all the smaller rimless cartridges like 9mm too (I bet they are inaccurate though). "One gun to rule them all..."

View attachment 1830765
Some nice looking .454 casuls to my eye. Re Taurus Fwiw I've been impressed with Taurus tracker in .357 in dry fire (have not shot it yet). Very very smooth trigger and smooth action for $460.

View attachment 1830767
View attachment 1830768
View attachment 1830769
in the article it is the 45 colt, not 45 long colt. people that say 45 long colt cant tell the difference between a revolver and a semiouto cartridge. show me a short colt and i will be a believer in LONG COLT! or 45lc. yes i know 45 acp was chambered in revolvers but....

in the article it is the 45 colt, not 45 long colt. people that say 45 long colt cant tell the difference between a revolver and a semiouto cartridge. show me a short colt and i will be a believer in LONG COLT! or 45lc. yes i know 45 acp was chambered in revolvers but....
I thought 45 colt and 45 long colt were the same thing?