JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.41 Magnum Versus 10㎜ Auto

• Make mine a .41 Magnum.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Prefer the 10㎜ Auto.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
I'm gonna go shoot some .22 long rifle out of my pistol tomorrow then I'm gonna shoot some .22 shorts out of my rifle. But I'm not gonna wear shorts cuz it's too cold. Gonna wear long pants and look around on the ground for any Winchester Super Short Magnum brass. :confused: :s0114:

read the article, did they say long colt in the article? long colt is incorrect.
If you click the ".45 Colt" link in the article, it brings up another article that includes this:

"Somewhere in all of this the .45 Colt nomenclature was colloquially changed to ".45 Long Colt" to differentiate it from the shorter S&W cartridge."

in the article it is the 45 colt, not 45 long colt. people that say 45 long colt cant tell the difference between a revolver and a semiouto cartridge. show me a short colt and i will be a believer in LONG COLT! or 45lc. yes i know 45 acp was chambered in revolvers but....
Back in the day there was indeed a 45 short Colt tho it wasn't called that. It was called the 45 Smith and Wesson or 45 Scolfield. So it's not out of the realm of possibility for a Peacemaker owner to ask for some of those Long Colt 45's and not the short ones.

Back in the day there was indeed a 45 short Colt tho it wasn't called that. It was called the 45 Smith and Wesson or 45 Scolfield. So it's not out of the realm of possibility for a Peacemaker owner to ask for some of those Long Colt 45's and not the short ones.
That's what I have always called them, 45 lc and .45 schofield. I've never shot the schofield round but it's always mentioned when talking about governors etc. I think my .44 black powder to 45 LC conversion cylinder may shoot 45 schofield. Probably does.

I'm not saying anyone here is making the claim but I have heard it many times over the years from 10mm fans that its as powerful as low end 41 magnums.
Those fans aren't being honest with themselves. Yes, the hottest 10 can approach weak 41 loads but it ain't apples to apples.

The 45 long colt vs 45 colt was discussed in Handloader magazine several years back; conclusion 45 long colt is incorrect. do we call the 45 acp the 45 short colt?

That's what I have always called them, 45 lc and .45 schofield. I've never shot the schofield round but it's always mentioned when talking about governors etc. I think my .44 black powder to 45 LC conversion cylinder may shoot 45 schofield. Probably does.
45 Colt ,45 schofield different name different cartridge

I have made the decision that from now on instead of "45 long colt" I will call it "45 hung like horse".
I'm going with Footie 5 el Caballo.

1708926783403.png

The Army, way back when, Had ammunition marked 45 Long Colt. It was marked that way to preclude it being used in the Schofield, which had a shorter cylinder. The 45 Auto was called ACP, for Automatic Colt Pistol.
I know the Colt Company isn't quite what it used to be, but here it is, straight from the Horse's mouth, if you will.

I consider the conversation of Colt vs. Long Colt to be like the conversation of clip vs. mag. Most know what you mean, but get their tighty whities in a knot because they want to prove a point. Whatev...

Agonizing over firearm terminology (ESPECIALLY in reference to cartridge names) can certainly be frustrating to anyone with a mind that operates generally in "black or white". Try explaining how cartridges are named to someone new to firearms and cursed with such an analytical thought process. You can't do it.

Unfortunately the terminology is often a laser-beam focus point for those building knowledge in the world of firearms (aren't we all?). And it IS important.

But, as with all variations in language, what is absolutely important (arguably at the expense of any technical "correctness") is whether or not the message was transmitted in a fashion that was UNDERSTOOD by the recipient. If the message was received and understood as intended, then the terminology used by the sender is really rather unimportant. Yes, even in firearms.

People examining and learning the terminology very often fixate on what is "correct". They even take pride in "correcting" others, as a "display" of what they have "learned". The classic (and zombie-like resilient) example of this is "magazine vs. clip". If the recipient KNOWS what is being referred to, it matters not which of those terms is used. Not one iota.

And...quite often the gun enthusiast eventually discovers that the technically "incorrect" terminology (again, magazine vs clip is a great example) has been used by gun and ammunition manufacturers and the "experts" for more than decades.

Same with "45 Long Colt". Or the pronunciation of Sako. :cool: