JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.41 Magnum Versus 10㎜ Auto

• Make mine a .41 Magnum.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Prefer the 10㎜ Auto.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Talking about revolvers here: Which of the middle "magnums" (of sorts) is your choice?

• The venerable .41 Magnum. Introduced in 1964. Impressive ballistics and fine revolvers chambered for said. For shorter fair, there is the .41 Special.
  • The 10㎜ Auto was introduced in 1983 and selected into FBI service in 1989. Ballistics are nothing to sneeze at. Some revolvers are chambered for this automatic cartridge and are, generally, fed by moon-clips. For shorties, .40 S&W can can be employed in wheelguns.

So, which would you prefer in a full sized revolver? Why? Enjoy!

Talking about revolvers here: Which of the middle "magnums" (of sorts) is your choice?

• The venerable .41 Magnum. Introduced in 1964. Impressive ballistics and fine revolvers chambered for said. For shorter fair, there is the .41 Special.
  • The 10㎜ Auto was introduced in 1983 and selected into FBI service in 1989. Ballistics are nothing to sneeze at. Some revolvers are chambered for this automatic cartridge and are, generally, fed by moon-clips. For shorties, .40 S&W can can be employed in wheelguns.

For me if it's a revolver then .41 magnum. But personally I'd rather have a 10mm semi auto. I won't link PCC (and Glock with USW) videos here cuz it's off topic but damn those look like a blast! But it's all based on what I've read and saw. I've never shot either one of them so "FWIW" only, not from personal experience.

Apples and oranges in my book. The 41 Mag is a revolver cartridge and the 10mm is made for a semi auto pistol. The 41 is much more powerful and the 10mm holds more. One shot , one kill goes to the 41. But shoot a bunch and with the ease of reloading with magazines the advantage goes to the 10mm. Why neuter the 10mm to revolver level. If you are going to do that you may as well get a 357 Mag revolver. That's the performance the 10mm was supposed to copy.

If it's strictly revolvers, I'd go with .41 magnum. However, if it's just a gun in general, i'd choose 10mm. Mostly because a rim can be limiting to your application

I had .41 Mags for decades. I like the cartridge, even had a Henry lever action in it, but mostly Smith & Wesson Model 57 revolvers.

On the other hand, I've also had 10mm Auto handguns, three revolvers and three autos. I admit that I had the Smith & Wesson Model 610's mainly because I already had 10mm in autos. But another reason I bought a new 610 three times running is because Smith & Wesson quit making them a couple of times and they were off and on collectible and got valuable from time to time. When I'd get bored with one, I'd wait until the prices were up, then let it go. When S&W was serious about making revolvers and came out with many different offerings, a smart person might be able to pick out the slow movers (caliber, finish, model) and predict collectibles. I'm not all that smart, but I did pick a few winners.

Anyway, given the two choices above for a shooting revolver, I have to side with the .41 Mag.

I haven't yet (and probably will not now) ever have a Desert Eagle in .41 Magnum but they're out there. For that matter, nor have I owned a Ruger GP-100 in 10mm.

41 magnum. Because Ive never understood the logic of a semi auto cartridge in a revolver, why bother. Plus, if I'm not going to have the capacity and reload advantage, why bother with a less powerful round. The 10mm doesn't even come close to 41 magnum ballistics, despite what some aficionados claim.
FWIW I own a 10mm and am a huge fan of it.

41 magnum. Because Ive never understood the logic of a semi auto cartridge in a revolver, why bother.
Business Vs. pleasure. My Ruger GP100 (and former S&W 610's) have been my most shot firearms. No chasing down brass, no mag dumps. Great triggers and an overall just more relaxing shooting experience.

In the bear woods, the S&W 29-2 gets the nod. All the power and convenience necessary for the job,

Plus, if I'm not going to have the capacity and reload advantage, why bother with a less powerful round. The 10mm doesn't even come close to 41 magnum ballistics, despite what some aficionados claim.
I've never made that claim, nor has anyone who's actually a 10mm fan. 10mm Auto in a semi-auto gets the power AND capacity advantage. You can put a lot of strong firepower down range really fast.

FWIW I own a 10mm and am a huge fan of it.
Ditto. I'm a fan of the .41 Magnum as well. All the utility of the .44 with ~25% less the recoil and blast.

I've never made that claim, nor has anyone who's actually a 10mm fan. 10mm Auto in a semi-auto gets the power AND capacity advantage. You can put a lot of strong firepower down range really fast.
I'm not saying anyone here is making the claim but I have heard it many times over the years from 10mm fans that its as powerful as low end 41 magnums.

I have no experience with a 10mm, so of course the .41 Magnum is the best.

1708867024047.jpeg

1708867128317.jpeg

If it's strictly revolvers, I'd go with .41 magnum. However, if it's just a gun in general, i'd choose 10mm. Mostly because a rim can be limiting to your application
I'll avoid the corrupted forever "Discuss", but would ask for a clarification as to how a rim might "limit my application".

The biggest issue with the 41 Mag is the lack of good guns for it. I credit Ruger for keeping the cartridge alive with the consistent production of the Blackhawk.
It's my favorite revolver cartridge, but I no longer own one. I had two Blackhawks, but I shoot a DA pistol much better and easier than a SA. An N-Frame is a fantastic handgun, but bigger and heavier than I like.
I'd still love to see an L Frame or GP100 chambered in 41 Mag.