JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

AR or AK?

• AR is the obvious choice.

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • Nyet! AK better than flimsy Capitalist girlie junk!

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • AK, but only a modernized version like the PSAK

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Both suck. Get a SCAR, MCX, a fancy bullpup, etc., or you are just LARPing without any class

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Honestly, whenever I've had both an AK and an AR, I end up shooting my AR way more, and I end up handling it way more in my day to day life doing dry fire and such. An AK can be fun but I have a hard time running one when my AR is only as heavy as a standard AK when I have an optic, light, LAM, and sling attached to it. Plus it feels much more slim and the controls are almost infinitely more intuitive. If the AK had a proper LRBHO it would be a huge benefit, but I don't think it'd be enough to really win me over. That being said, I think that I will end up buying an AK in 5.56 one day.

3MTA3 said:
Quick question for the 7.62x39 crowd: How much of a PIA is corrosive ammo? Do you simply clean after each session and do you need to use anything different than for non corrosive ammo? Or is it just "Nyet! We don't need no stinking girly man unpitted rifle barrels."?

OK, Ok, ok.....cleaning your AK after shooting corrosive ammo. My experiment.
Post #46 (with photos) and Post #52 in this thread: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/who-shoots-corrosive-ammo.402780/page-3

BUT, But, but.....all was/is not lost.

Since that thread......
I've also tried the water hose, field strip, patches, bore brush, drying, and oiling of the parts, prior to reassembly. No hot water or Hoppe's. So then.....that method seems to have worked.

But? Why not just use the Hoppe's and hot water too?

Rrrrrright......
Did I forget to mention that it was an EXPERIMENT (and I'm lazy)?

Aloha, Mark

It's really interesting history to look at the Soviet style of military deployment compared to the American/western style. The Soviets basically said "what are supply lines." The soldiers are seen carrying their 'Great coats' wrapped in a sling around themselves all year because there was no supply line to get them situated when winter came. Par for the course for communist ideals, the masses are expendable so long as it serves a benefit for the cause.
Those great coats served as sleeping bags:eek: back in the day... going back to pre-ww1 times...

Honestly, whenever I've had both an AK and an AR, I end up shooting my AR way more, and I end up handling it way more in my day to day life doing dry fire and such. An AK can be fun but I have a hard time running one when my AR is only as heavy as a standard AK when I have an optic, light, LAM, and sling attached to it. Plus it feels much more slim and the controls are almost infinitely more intuitive. If the AK had a proper LRBHO it would be a huge benefit, but I don't think it'd be enough to really win me over. That being said, I think that I will end up buying an AK in 5.56 one day.
mega-dittos on an AK in 5.56! Along with a mess of AK-tough 5.56 mags to go with it!:s0048:

mega-dittos on an AK in 5.56! Along with a mess of AK-tough 5.56 mags to go with it!:s0048:
Stay away from arsenal smoke mags, they crack easy. Its not due to lack of reinforced feed lips either, as my green beryls haven't cracked yet.

F203098A-D227-4B6B-A427-278F7DFC6537.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads