JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

AR or AK?

• AR is the obvious choice.

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • Nyet! AK better than flimsy Capitalist girlie junk!

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • AK, but only a modernized version like the PSAK

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Both suck. Get a SCAR, MCX, a fancy bullpup, etc., or you are just LARPing without any class

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
My out-the-door rifle currently is an H&K 91, complete with loaded chest pouch... I'd do the same for an FAL but don't have a chest pouch for it. Actually for years my o t d rifle was an M1A, but I sold it when I realised that I'm too old and in no condition for this sh*t...
E68ZP1fXsAUHcRd.jpeg.jpg

AR is the superior choice. In terms of an overall fighting un. However an AK with a red dot is still very viable today and can stand its own. A modern fight rifle needs to do two things, go bang when it needs to and hold 3-4moa.

I like old school wooden stocked firearms, so for me it was a choice between the Mini 14 and a Saiga AK, and I chose the Saiga because the 7.62x39 ammo is cheaper. I like the kick of the AK and it's accurate enough out to at least 150 yards with a red dot and RS Regulate mounts. I've fired an AR a couple times, but the pistol grip on the AR feels awkward and the way my head sits so high over the rifle also feels awkward. Technically the AR is the superior weapon, but I don't expect to be in any long range gun battles and so I prefer the AK. If I had a Mini 14 that would also be good enough for me. A semi auto .308 beats everything but the ammo is heavy and very expensive.

I like old school wooden stocked firearms, so for me it was a choice between the Mini 14 and a Saiga AK, and I chose the Saiga because the 7.62x39 ammo is cheaper. I like the kick of the AK and it's accurate enough out to at least 150 yards with a red dot and RS Regulate mounts. I've fired an AR a couple times, but the pistol grip on the AR feels awkward and the way my head sits so high over the rifle also feels awkward. Technically the AR is the superior weapon, but I don't expect to be in any long range gun battles and so I prefer the AK. If I had a Mini 14 that would also be good enough for me. A semi auto .308 beats everything but the ammo is heavy and very expensive.

As a medical professional, I have to marvel at how the poll results very closely parallel our known mental health parameters from the population in general.

83% of the population is relatively sound and stable. Then there's about 17% who will just stick their dick in a light socket because someone said so.

So everything looks normal here. Carry on.

As a medical professional, I have to marvel at how the poll results very closely parallel our known mental health parameters from the population in general.

83% of the population is relatively sound and stable. Then there's about 17% who will just stick their dick in a light socket because someone said so.

So everything looks normal here. Carry on.
Uhm...

This topics EASY!

Everything everyone said about AR's is true. Everything everyone said about AK's is true.

Personaly, I "prefer" an AR but still love me an AK!. Polymer on any main rife component is a sin.....

That is my dad, so I have a decent idea. It wasn't a positive transition for him. I remember growing up he hated everything about 5.56/AR/M16. It wasn't unit the late 2000's I was able to talk him to giving the AR another look. Last I heard he sold his M14 and 1911 and has a couple ARs and an AK and pair of Glock 19s. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?
In that war there was other significant factors like bullets hitting veg. I know we all know it. I'm just saying it. I think in Nam I'd want anything but 55gn/5.56
I'd rather hump some weight (especially the ammo weight ouch!) But know my ammo will put down what I'm actually aiming at.
probably why your dad hated that caliber so much.

Well crap sorry to spam the thread but I gotta make one last quick point.

How many AK's has Robski tested that lasted too terribly long? He said most don't make it past about 5k and I recall him mentioning the metal stretching and having the headspace grow. Idk about the rest of you but I've never really head of headspace growing in an AR
HAVE YOU?

How many AK's has Robski tested that lasted too terribly long? He said most don't make it past about 5k and I recall him mentioning the metal stretching and having the headspace grow. Idk about the rest of you but I've never really head of headspace growing in an AR
HAVE YOU?
If you mean an AR's ability to create spaces in heads, and the growing amout of spaces as you apply more AR... I'm familiar and I believe that's a well known truism.

Other than that it's been a non issue in any of mine.

Last Edited:
Having seen just what both will do during four combat tours , has me convinced that both* work well.
*While not an AR...I am speaking of the M16 series of rifles / carbines here.

Like any rifle...both have their limitations...Use 'em within those limitations and you won't have many problems.

Use what you like....And learn to use it well.
Andy

Edit to add...
Poll needs a Use either / both option.

Last Edited:
In that war there was other significant factors like bullets hitting veg. I know we all know it. I'm just saying it. I think in Nam I'd want anything but 55gn/5.56
I'd rather hump some weight (especially the ammo weight ouch!) But know my ammo will put down what I'm actually aiming at.
probably why your dad hated that caliber so much.
Cartridge effectiveness on the enemy, in that terrain was one thing but reliability (or lack thereof) was his biggest complaint, which history tells us was an ammo issue not a firearm issue. Thing is there were also multiple engagements throughout the war where US forces would have depleted their ammunition and been overrun and they been armed with M14s and not M16s. Moving to a lightweight system with higher capacity was the right move, it just was not a smooth move.

Well crap sorry to spam the thread but I gotta make one last quick point.

HAVE YOU?
There was an interview with one of the big Las Vegas machinegun rental places (Battlefield Vegas?) where they talked about wear and tear on things like magazines, bolts, and different platforms. IIRC they stated that forged AR receivers outlasted the best AK receivers by two to one. For those of us not shooting full auto it likely won't make much difference, but 5k would be a huge no go for me.

Here is a video with their armorer discussing AK's and AR's, where and how they fail, etc..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top